Fluid change... What you all think?

• I do my own oil changes. mobil one full synthetic and lube the u-joint every 5,000 as it calls for in the service manual.

The service manual says that the angle drive should only need inspection if it is leaking otherwise it doesnt call for inspection and only change the fluid at fifty thousand - my angle drive is not loud so I have left it alone. Transmission is the same no service called for until 50,000 miles - - -perhaps I am different than others, but unless there is an issue I dont see any point in changing the fluids when it isnt called for by the service manual

I = Inspect
    R = Replace
    -- = no action required

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Welcome to the forum @Road warrior! Personally, I try to change my fluids as often as possible! But I do agree with @edwardaneal on the gearboxes. Probably not necessary if you haven't had any issues. Mine is at the dealer right now for a leaky angle drive at 2,500 miles and I know that I will get new fluid as part of that service. I will change that out for Redline Shockproof, Royal Purple or Lucas Oil Stabilizer in another 5,000 miles or so based on recommendations from forum members. Not sure which one yet but I'm favoring @mniron 's choice of Lucas Oil Stabilizer. He has 25k+ miles of experience.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

Edited once, last by SlingLow ().

• welcome aboard @roadwarrior - looking forward to photos of your ride and adventures

If you have the skills I can't think of a reason not to replace more often if you can do it and it's in your budget

Make sure you understand what the warranty requires for types (i.e. dexos) and make your decision after that for what you actually use

• I use Rotella T6 in my engine and Redline Shockproof in the rear angle drive. Pre turbo, I used Mobile1 in the engine.
    Engine oil gets changed every 2,500 miles religiously.

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• Engine oil and change intervals seem somewhat a personal preference. Most engine oils are far superior than oils we used in our first vehicles.

Transmission interval for most would be to follow the manual, but more often would never be a detriment except to your pocketbook.

The angle drive is another story altogether. Anyone who has drained the oil from the drive once or even twice, inspected the oil would not leave the oil in for 50k. You certainly wouldn’t it back in to see if you can get 50k out of it. Almost everyone who has changed the oil had a noticeable change in the sound level emitted from the drive. One should consider changing the oil just to see the condition of the oil and it’s particulates. How often would one do this should be based on the findings you would find in your own case. I think the most crucial part of the angle drive oil change is getting oil level to the minimum fill. I have had great success with using 100% Lucas Oil Stabilizer and continue to increase the intervals mileage as the angle drive is worn in and gears are seated.

• I changed my angle drive fluid for the first time at 500 miles and boy am i glad that i did, it was dark and the amount of metal shavings found were heart attack inducing levels, replaced with Mobil 1 gear oil 75/140 .

Given how many shavings there were there and the fact that noise didn't decreased i changed it again at around 1k and once again I found a lot of shaving so this time I went with royal purple, did it again after another 500 miles (RP again) and very little shavings were in the magnet so that has me confident enough to keep it there for a while.

Next change will be at the end of season this year and I plan to follow on @mniron footsteps and go 100% lucas oil stabilizer , anyone who has followed Phil knows that he doesn't pussy foot around so if LOS has been good enough to keep his Angle drive alive for 25k+ miles that is good enough endorsement for me to use it without reservations.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Just an added note for FYI, beside the fill plug on the transmission it is stamped GL-3.

Additional info: If the transmission is the same as used in the Solstice:

2006-09 Pontiac Solstice
    2007-09 Saturn Sky
    GL-3
    SAE 75W-90 GM PN 89021806 or
    equivalent
    Synchromesh MTF

Bill

• Not sure if it's just a Canadian thing but my manual doesn't say to lube the driveshaft yoke only to inspect.

I have heard that at some point they switched to a sealed unit that doesnt require lubrication. from those I have talked to about this there does not seem to be any agreement as to when polaris made this move and it seems to be the view that if the U-joint has a zerk fitting then it should be lubed

If you want to check to see if yours has the zerk this might make it easier. I took this right after I greased my u-joint it is very easy to grease by removing the drink holder cups. the green dot of grease just below the bolt is the tip of the zerk. So if it matters to you pop out the rear drink cup holder and take a look.

• I use Rotella T6 in my engine and Redline Shockproof in the rear angle drive. Pre turbo, I used Mobile1 in the engine.
    Engine oil gets changed every 2,500 miles religiously.

To each his own on that one. I once watched a pre race interview with some race car drivers. They were all asked the same question.The ones who were sponsored by oil company's all said the oil change should happen every 3000 miles. The ones who were not sponsored by big oil all said they changed their oil every 5 to 6 thousand miles. The only losers in that interview were the ones who had to lie to keep their sponsorship.

• To each his own on that one. I once watched a pre race interview with some race car drivers. They were all asked the same question.The ones who were sponsored by oil company's all said the oil change should happen every 3000 miles. The ones who were not sponsored by big oil all said they changed their oil every 5 to 6 thousand miles. The only losers in that interview were the ones who had to lie to keep their sponsorship.

I normally go quite a bit longer when I use full syn oils in my other vehicles. However, when Henry installed my Alpha turbo he specifically said what to use, and to change the oil every 2,500 miles. I know nothing about turbo charged engines, so I deferred to his knowledge and that was good enough for me. The cost of more frequent oil changes (whether really needed or not) is a very small price compared to my perceived risk of early engine failure and the cost that it could incur...heaven forbid. :thumbsup:

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• Interesting on that oil change interval, we own a VW Jetta turbo diesel and the recommended oil change interval recommendation is 10,000 miles, we just passed the 350,000 mile milestone.

We change the oil in our non-modified SlingShot every 10,000 miles, or the first of the year, which ever happens first.

Bill

• Interesting on that oil change interval, we own a VW Jetta turbo diesel and the recommended oil change interval recommendation is 10,000 miles, we just passed the 350,000 mile milestone.

Bill

I think it also had to do with how hard he knew I liked to push my Sling. :whistling:
    He rode with me after the install, and said he loved how I pushed the limits, and to be sure I changed the oil at 2,500 miles.

• If you only knew how hard we run that lil diesel as we have been reminded that this engine was designed to run on the Autobahn, and thus instructed to drive it accordingly! ;)

We also tow a camping trailer with it! :P

To each their own but pardon my saying so, when using high quality synthetic oils today, the old 2000 mile oil change is just a perfectly good waste of oil!

Bill

• I changed my angle drive fluid for the first time at 500 miles and boy am i glad that i did, it was dark and the amount of metal shavings found were heart attack inducing levels, replaced with Mobil 1 gear oil 75/140 .

Given how many shavings there were there and the fact that noise didn't decreased i changed it again at around 1k and once again I found a lot of shaving so this time I went with royal purple, did it again after another 500 miles (RP again) and very little shavings were in the magnet so that has me confident enough to keep it there for a while.

Next change will be at the end of season this year and I plan to follow on @mniron footsteps and go 100% lucas oil stabilizer , anyone who has followed Phil knows that he doesn't pussy foot around so if LOS has been good enough to keep his Angle drive alive for 25k+ miles that is good enough endorsement for me to use it without reservations.

Royal Purple and working on 63,000 miles in the angle drive and the transmisson. Changed the angle drive at about 1,000 and then again at around 5,000 miles

• I have heard that at some point they switched to a sealed unit that doesnt require lubrication. from those I have talked to about this there does not seem to be any agreement as to when polaris made this move and it seems to be the view that if the U-joint has a zerk fitting then it should be lubed
    If you want to check to see if yours has the zerk this might make it easier. I took this right after I greased my u-joint it is very easy to grease by removing the drink holder cups. the green dot of grease just below the bolt is the tip of the zerk. So if it matters to you pop out the rear drink cup holder and take a look.

So I finally took a look and it seems like there is a zerk there however it looks almost like paint or a sealant is on it. Am I seeing things?

• looks like a zerk to me. I have no clue what that is on it, but if it were me I would clean it off and lube it