Rack and Pinion bad again

• Mine was done....sounds like something isn’t lined up correctly ...or just another faulty unit..

I have mine in the shop now 2018 just driving down the street light came on in the dash didn’t notice until I came to a stop. The dealer is looking at it now will advise when I find out.

• @usedup2, sounds like the steering needs to be centered and the sensor zeroed with an ECU cleared.

As for the steering rack replacement, yep. Had mine replaced at about 6,500 miles for play on the passenger side. The rattle is what brought it to my attention.

Cut the zippy tie on the large end and pulled the flex boot back. Either they don't grease that rod or they are very sparing with the grease. Seems odd that a steel rod riding through a metal alloy bushing gets no grease.

After they replaced the rack, I did the same as above with the boots and greased those rods. We shall see...

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• This is what the owners manual says...

LUBRICANTS, MAINTENANCE AND SERVICE PRODUCTS

PART NO. DESCRIPTION

Engine Lubricant
    2879409 SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Engine Oil (Qt)
    2879410 SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Engine Oil (Gal)
    12605565 Engine Oil Filter
    Transmission / Angle Drive Lubricants
    2879440 SAE 75W-90 Full Synthetic Transmission
    Fluid (Quart)
    2879412 SAE 75W-140 Full Synthetic Angle Drive
    Fluid (Quart)
    Grease / Specialized Lubricants
    2871312 Grease Gun Kit
    2871322 Premium All Season Grease
    (3 oz. cartridge) (24 Count)
    2871423 Premium All Season Grease
    (14 oz. cartridge) (10 Count)
    2871460 Starter Drive Grease (12 Count)
    2871515 Premium U-Joint Lube (3 oz.) (24 Count)
    2871551 Premium U-Joint Lube (14 oz.) (10 Count)
    2871329 Dielectric Grease (Nyogel™)
    Coolant
    2879411 50/50 Extended Life Pre-mixed
    Antifreeze (Gallon)
    NOTE
    Each item can be purchased separately at your local
    Slingshot dealer.
    PART
    NO. DESCRIPTION
    Additives / Sealants / Thread Agents / Misc.
    2871950 Loctite™ Threadlock 242
    (6 ml.) (12 count)
    2871326 Premium Carbon Clean
    (12 oz.) (12 count)
    2870652 Fuel Stabilizer (16 oz.) (12 count)
    2872189 DOT 4 Brake Fluid (12 count)
    2871557 Crankcase Sealant, 3-Bond 1215 (5 oz.)
    NOTE
    The number count indicated by each part number in the
    table above indicates the number of units that are
    shipped with each order.

Myself, I used a moly wheel bearing grease...

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Mine locked up last year and put me in a ditch on a long sweeper. The right wheel dug in and I did a 180 in the air, luckly I did not get hurt or do too much damage to the SS. Only about 5,000 to replace the parts.

That sux!

Was the R&P still locked up after the fact?
    Did you confront Polaris about it?
    In assessing the aftermath did you learn anything that may keep it from happening again?
    Inquiring minds want to know?

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• Yes sir I cut the large zip tie and just like you said either no grease or very little grease on the rod end... Had a lot of play on the right side. Also the rattle mine was replaced at about 10k and now again at 15k. Hope they get it right this time...

• What @MACAWS said put two of the base rears on the front. handles really good.

I love the forum but boy O boy every time I tune in more shit seems to be happening to our rides. Would someone be so kind as to take a picture of the area of the boot and where this zip tab is please. I would like to check mine as well. I have a 2016 and I see that this happened to someone on a 2018.

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• I did contact Polaris but nothing came of it

love the forum but boy O boy every time I tune in more shit seems to be happening to our rides. Would someone be so kind as to take a picture of the area of the boot and where this zip tab is please. I would like to check mine as well. I have a 2016 and I see that this happened to someone on a 2018.

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• just went out and checked mine, on the right passender rod I could move it maybe a 1/16th to 1/8th inch and the left driver side rod was tight , what do you guys think? my ss is a 2017 sl with 2600 miles on it

• just went out and checked mine, on the right passender rod I could move it maybe a 1/16th to 1/8th inch and the left driver side rod was tight , what do you guys think? my ss is a 2017 sl with 2600 miles on it

I was changing wheels last week and noticed some play on both sides with the passenger side being the worst.
    Took to dealer and new rack is on the way
    2016 sl. 16000 miles