Rack and Pinion bad again

• OK here’s my question to whomever may know, when the 2015 recall was completed what changed? Was there a new rack designed and installed? Did they just take another one off the shelf and put it on and hope for the best? Does anybody have any idea what modifications or improvements were made?

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• I just left the dealer and even brand new ones had the small amount of rattle on the passenger side so he is going to check with Polaris but he thinks that is just how the racks are designed.

Either way he is checking because either they are fine or he has a bunch of machines to perform repairs to.

TBH there are no steering issues or anything in my machine other than a little rattle if you shake the thing.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Don't pack the boots!

No where in the manual does it direct us to apply grease. The rack is replaced as a unit. There is nothing servicable from the knuckle under the boot and throughout the rack.

Common sense dictates lubrication be used where moving metal meets metal.

Because I have had one rack replaced, thought light lubrication might extend the current rack life.

If you wish to grease the steering rods, apply a light coat to the larger rod that moves in and out of the steering case. After greasing, move the steering wheel full left and right a few times to pull in the grease. Then center the steering wheel and wipe off the excess. This will cut down on the sawing back and forth on the bushings. And act as a damper so the rod won't sound like a bell on rough roads.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• @Neosolidus just wondering if you had gotten any word yet from the dealer about the slight movement in the rack

every single slingshot at the dealer was the same, new, old, demo and customers, they all had a tight driver side and a little play on the passenger.

We checked like 20 slings from 2015 to 2017 SLR, they had no 2018 on the lot so don't know if they are the same.

As of now the mothership says that if there are no issue while driving to not worry about it.

I check it after every ride because I don't want to be surprised by it giving away on a turn, I wonder if something like this could have been the cause of @FunCycle mishap when his slingshot refused to turn a few months back.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Mine locked up last year and put me in a ditch on a long sweeper. The right wheel dug in and I did a 180 in the air, luckly I did not get hurt or do too much damage to the SS. Only about $5,000 to replace the parts. Everything was still conneted and the steering was pretty much center after the event. Loading the SS onto the rollback and unloading at @Ruptured Ducks house the steering would not turn to the left or the right. Sometime after at the dealers they said and @Ruptured Duck went and checked that the steering was working. I am 99% certain that the steering locked up. I have tried my best to duplicate what happened and can not unless the steering was locked. I was very lucky.