Need info please

• Dave@DDMWorks Great information! Question; without changing anything else on the SS will these pads give improved “feel “ and stopping power? Polaris did a warranty break bleed and the sensor replacement. The breaks do feel more firm however I think lack grab and seem kind of weak or fade and i’m no racer.

Changing out to your 5.0 or ceramic- will this correct this or at least give more grab?

Appreciated!

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Dave@DDMWorks Great information! Question; without changing anything else on the SS will these pads give improved “feel “ and stopping power? Polaris did a warranty break bleed and the sensor replacement. The breaks do feel more firm however I think lack grab and seem kind of weak or fade and i’m no racer.

Changing out to your 5.0 or ceramic- will this correct this or at least give more grab?

Appreciated!

The stock Polaris pads are made by Hawk, but the compound that Polaris chose for the stock pads does not generate a high coefficient of friction at the temperatures that most people see while driving the Slingshot. Switching over to something like the Ceramic's or 5.0 pads, which are in their operating range during most driving increased the friction the brake pads apply and make the brakes feel more "grabby". The 5.0 pads are our favorite pad for the street but do dust more than the ceramic pads.

• The stock Polaris pads are made by Hawk, but the compound that Polaris chose for the stock pads does not generate a high coefficient of friction at the temperatures that most people see while driving the Slingshot. Switching over to something like the Ceramic's or 5.0 pads, which are in their operating range during most driving increased the friction the brake pads apply and make the brakes feel more "grabby". The 5.0 pads are our favorite pad for the street but do dust more than the ceramic pads.

I just bought a used van from a guy that said he didn’t like having to buy new rotors for the front all the time. His explanation was the guaranteed brake shoes were hard and wore down the rotors. He told me he buys cheap softer shoes and he would rather change the brakes more often than spending big money on rotors.

Makes sense to me......that said last time I had my pickup inspected I put on new rotors and shoes....I just looked at the rotors and they are pretty grooved up....to the point my mechanic will probably want to change them to meet the inspection guideline...

• The stock Polaris pads are made by Hawk, but the compound that Polaris chose for the stock pads does not generate a high coefficient of friction at the temperatures that most people see while driving the Slingshot. Switching over to something like the Ceramic's or 5.0 pads, which are in their operating range during most driving increased the friction the brake pads apply and make the brakes feel more "grabby". The 5.0 pads are our favorite pad for the street but do dust more than the ceramic pads.

Dave, as usual a lot of great information. Thank you. I am not Ricky racer but would like the best improvement for the brake pads. What is the percentage of improvement between the 5.0 and the ceramic pads. If it is not that great I will probably go with the ceramic . If it is substantial then I will and just put up with the brake dust. Also as mentioned previously will the ceramic pads tend to score up the rotors?

• I just bought a used van from a guy that said he didn’t like having to buy new rotors for the front all the time. His explanation was the guaranteed brake shoes were hard and wore down the rotors. He told me he buys cheap softer shoes and he would rather change the brakes more often than spending big money on rotors.

Makes sense to me......that said last time I had my pickup inspected I put on new rotors and shoes....I just looked at the rotors and they are pretty grooved up....to the point my mechanic will probably want to change them to meet the inspection guideline...

In my recent experience, it is getting difficult to get brake shops to turn rotors even once. I think they don't want the liability that they can avoid by telling you they must be replaced.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Dave, as usual a lot of great information. Thank you. I am not Ricky racer but would like the best improvement for the brake pads. What is the percentage of improvement between the 5.0 and the ceramic pads. If it is not that great I will probably go with the ceramic . If it is substantial then I will and just put up with the brake dust. Also as mentioned previously will the ceramic pads tend to score up the rotors?

So what pads did you end up going with?

• So what pads did you end up going with?

Eric, I have stuck with the 5.0 pads the difference being night and day over the stock pads. I was told by the person that sells these that the 5.0's were a lot better than the ceramic pads. BUT! the ceramic has a lot less dust. I am still driving like that day you followed me from Cherokee to Maggie Valley so the 5.0's do make a difference. I just installed a new set of 5.0's on Sling II. The one's on Sling I have around 60 to 70,000 miles on them with plenty of wear left on them. I just checked them about 6 weeks ago when I put the new rotors on Sling I.

• Dave, as usual a lot of great information. Thank you. I am not Ricky racer but would like the best improvement for the brake pads. What is the percentage of improvement between the 5.0 and the ceramic pads. If it is not that great I will probably go with the ceramic . If it is substantial then I will and just put up with the brake dust. Also as mentioned previously will the ceramic pads tend to score up the rotors?

Sorry, missed this earlier, thankfully FunCycle revived the thread.

There is a noticeable difference in initial bite between the ceramic and the 5.0 pads, with the 5.0 pads having more initial bite. The Ceramics are a nice improvement over stock though and the dust is not as noticeable as the 5.0 pads. If you are just cruising around the ceramic pads are a great choice, a little more Ricky racer and the 5.0 pads are better. From what you are describing as your driving style, the ceramic pads would be my suggestion.

Hope that helps,

Dave

• hey I'm going to go with a 500 pads too. I'm going to be removing the wheels this winter sending my jri 1 ways to have them converted over to GTS and I figure I'll just change the pads at the same time. Never change pads on a rear of a vehicle before. I've changed the front pads on my Goldwing but never change the rear so I'm a little hesitant about how difficult that may be. And I am cheap. Where did you get your pads? Ddm has them but also has $17 shipping.

• Are these the ceramic pads for the sling? I didn't find an exact match from part numbers given earlier in this thread.

Also would like to know what the performance of ceramic pads are compared to the 5.0 series. I'm all in for less dust, but I absolutely have to have better stopping power!

These seem to be about twice as much as the 5.0 series set ($300 vs $160). I'd be willing to pay for the difference, but only if I do not compromise stopping power.

HAWK PERFORMANCE HB725Z.650 BRAKE PADS

clear1x1.gif
    Hawk Performance HB725Z.650 Brake Pads

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• So what pads did you end up going with?

ceramic and although they May not be the 5 however I feel they are a definite improvement over the stock hawk pads. A little more dust but not much. I like the canyons as much as anybody however most of my riding is touring. I feel these are a good happy medium

• Are these the ceramic pads for the sling? I didn't find an exact match from part numbers given earlier in this thread.

Also would like to know what the performance of ceramic pads are compared to the 5.0 series. I'm all in for less dust, but I absolutely have to have better stopping power!

These seem to be about twice as much as the 5.0 series set ($300 vs $160). I'd be willing to pay for the difference, but only if I do not compromise stopping power.

HAWK PERFORMANCE HB725Z.650 BRAKE PADS

clear1x1.gif
    Hawk Performance HB725Z.650 Brake Pads

The hawk pads for the Slingshot are HB275Z.620 for the ceramic pads.

The part number for Hawk pads works like this -

"HB" - Hawk Brakes

"275" is the pad shape

"Z" is the letter designating ceramic pad material

".620" means the pad material is .620" thick

So if you know the pad number, you can find the part number for any other pad material by simply changing the letter "Z" in this case to any of the other pad material available in that pad shape. So, the letter for 5.0 pads is "B", that gives us the part number hB275B.620 for those pads. There is a list of all the pad materials on Hawks site.

http://www.ddmworks.com/Slings…wk-Brake-Pads-_p_535.html

Hope that helps,

Dave

• hey I'm going to go with a 500 pads too. I'm going to be removing the wheels this winter sending my jri 1 ways to have them converted over to GTS and I figure I'll just change the pads at the same time. Never change pads on a rear of a vehicle before. I've changed the front pads on my Goldwing but never change the rear so I'm a little hesitant about how difficult that may be. And I am cheap. Where did you get your pads? Ddm has them but also has $17 shipping.

If you would like to send me over an email, I can look into the shipping cost for you to see if I can get it down any. angie@ddmworks.com