Battery maintenance

• I never even thought about the battery when I decided to have the Welter dual rear exhaust put on...I am going to have to find a new battery to use now that the optima 34 wont work. Any suggestions?

There are several people running G34 with welter duals, I don't know what happened with funcycle's sling that it doesn't fit but there are several others who are using it just fine.

I am about to find out for myself very soon.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• There are several people running G34 with welter duals, I don't know what happened with funcycle's sling that it doesn't fit but there are several others who are using it just fine.
    I am about to find out for myself very soon.

The 34 will fit, it will just be up against the exhaust pipe of the Welter Dual. Go for it, it is up to you. Too close for me :thumbup:

• I can also verify that you need to just look at the battery connections occasionally.
    I have never has a problem with my battery in my 2015, but when i was hooking up some lights, i pulled the battery cover and this is what i found

After a trip for new bolts, a good cleaning and reinstall, all is good for a little while.

• I can also verify that you need to just look at the battery connections occasionally.
    I have never has a problem with my battery in my 2015, but when i was hooking up some lights, i pulled the battery cover and this is what i found

After a trip for new bolts, a good cleaning and reinstall, all is good for a little while.

I think this makes me actually happy I got the crapy motorcycle battery - It may be smaller and it may have less power, but I have always hated the standard car battery lead terminals and the way they can corrode like this

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• There is really nothing wrong with the lighter motorcycle battery in warmer climates, while I was growing up it used to be the common rule of thumb of one CCA per cubic inch of engine and even that lil battery doubles that, the smaller size makes it easier to handle also..............

With that said, it will be maintenance free battery that will be replacing this one when the time comes, though with it's somewhat odd size, finding other than a Polaris battery to fit without modification may be a bit of a challenge?

Bill

• The 34 will fit, it will just be up against the exhaust pipe of the Welter Dual. Go for it, it is up to you. Too close for me :thumbup:

I havent looked at it yet but if the 34 does indeed fit but sits against the exhaut ... isnt there a problem with the heat factor effecting the battery overall life ?

SSREAPER

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• just out of curiosity does anyone have a picture of the 2015 battery showing battery tray? Its not important so dont run out and take the cover off just to take a snap, but if you have one I would like to see how much different it is from the tray in my 2016.

• @wjfyfe, a 34 will fit the 2015s without any modification. It's just 2 inches longer

Thanks bunches...............

.......and I will be right back with that picture, just take me a minute or two..............

(Sorry about the dirt............)

You can see the single clamp on the bottom holding in this battery, In looking at the parts book that bracket holding in the smaller battery looks like a pain?

Bill

• thanks - quite a bit of difference

• thanks - quite a bit of difference

I've got that little bitty battery too and there is no tray. I looked at fabbing a tray for the car battery and figured that $100 for the pre-fabbed tray wasn't THAT bad a deal but I don't want the Optima one. I'm thinking the other one was at Slingshots Only, not Slingmods. I'll likely figure it out next year when the stock battery is bound to fail...

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I people really want to upgrade the battery you could always go with lithium Ion Lithium Pros 12-Volt

• since we are on the subject of batteries can one of the experts here educate me on battery sizes - I know how the group size thing works with normal car batteries, but I have no idea how motorcycle batteries are sized

Are there standard sizes like the groups for motorcycle batteries? and if there are standards what would I look for when I need to replace my stock battery if I want the same size, but dont want to buy it from Polaris for $170

It would by nice if I had this information on hand before I actually need it.

Thanks

• Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

• The drive belt appeared to have moved inboard a bit over time and was talking a lil more than it should be so while the panels were removed I noted the battery, and that I have not done anything with it since new. I was pleasantly surprised that removing the battery wasn't as difficult as I had imagined, but once removed I found the terminals to be very corroded and the water levels very low. So, I cleaned everything up, filled the battery with water, and the re-installation went fairly smoothly, again, pleasantly surprised. So, this is mostly just a small prod if you have not checked the battery in a while, you may want to just give it a looksie?

Bill

Tap water is not recommended for batteries...use distilled water....something about all the chemicals in the water.....that’s why we get cancer...