Front end alignment (do it yourself)

• Alright I have a recumbent trike (bicycle with 3 wheels) you lay down in just like your recliner in the living room.

Two wheels in the front and one in the back same set up as an SS.

The front wheels need to be toed in just like on the SS.

That said watch this short video explaining how to do this. I’m wondering if we could do our own alignment the same way.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2wrX2KVuy7w

• I actually did my own alignment on the sling. Apparently the toe in is 1/8 inch at a 4 foot front to rear spread. So, two four foot fluorescent tubes bungee to the center line of each front wheel and measure front to back (use the pins on the tube ends). I have over 12k on this method and can still (almost) read the kenda on the center rib. My tech at the dealer told me how to do it. The other dealer in town quoted $200 and four hours, says it only sets the toe, not camber or caster. I passed on the deal and did it myself, figure it I screwed it up $200 saved could go toward good tires.

LC

• I actually did my own alignment on the sling. Apparently the toe in is 1/8 inch at a 4 foot front to rear spread. So, two four foot fluorescent tubes bungee to the center line of each front wheel and measure front to back (use the pins on the tube ends). I have over 12k on this method and can still (almost) read the kenda on the center rib. My tech at the dealer told me how to do it. The other dealer in town quoted $200 and four hours, says it only sets the toe, not camber or caster. I passed on the deal and did it myself, figure it I screwed it up $200 saved could go toward good tires.

LC

Your Slingshot dealer should have the Polaris Laser alignment system, cost should be around $150 for the alignment

• I did a home laser alignment by removing the wheels, locked steering wheel with small cargo strap and used a magnetic laser level on the rotors. I found dead centre of the hub and shot a line on the floor 2 ft ahead and rear of the dead centre on both sides and marked the floor. I found out why I needed 2 front tires pretty quick. I actually pulled the tie rod ball joint bolt and gave them 2 turns in to get .20 toe in and not get a code by turning the tie rods in. The dealers "tech" had toed my sling out by 1" after replacing the rack X/ . Wow what a difference!!

All the oil might be in Alberta but the dipsticks are in Ottawa!

• I did a home laser alignment by removing the wheels, locked steering wheel with small cargo strap and used a magnetic laser level on the rotors. I found dead centre of the hub and shot a line on the floor 2 ft ahead and rear of the dead centre on both sides and marked the floor. I found out why I needed 2 front tires pretty quick. I actually pulled the tie rod ball joint bolt and gave them 2 turns in to get .20 toe in and not get a code by turning the tie rods in. The dealers "tech" had toed my sling out by 1" after replacing the rack X/ . Wow what a difference!!

I'm finding that toe out isn't uncommon, especially on the ones with the rack replaced.

• I'm finding that toe out isn't uncommon, especially on the ones with the rack replaced.

Well I have to admit that the guys that did it are more use to doing snowmobile ski alignments which is toe out. I've dropped that dealer any hoot. They scored my rear rim with a 3/8 when they bled my brakes for the master cyl. recall. Tried to tell me it must have happened on the way home with a rock or something. I took pics and he still contested. I'm like yea k. What he doesn't know is I was a tech on fighters for 26 years and I know what a crescent mark from some ham fisted looks like. They also forgot to recap the bleeder ports on 2 bleed nipples which tells me they didn't bleed all 3 ports. Any way don't want to hijack the thread.

All the oil might be in Alberta but the dipsticks are in Ottawa!

• Not full alignment procedure, but See - Polaris dealer front end alignment .. | Polaris Slingshot Forum. Now, we just need to figure out the rest of the info.
    After Googling for the following "Polaris Slingshot front wheel alignment", I found this - Basic front end aligment .. for us regular guys | Polaris Slingshot Forum. There are a lot more links to investigate...

Edited 2 times, last by BKL ().

• Why is the SS alignment procedure such a big secret?

Not in the service manual....why?

Since you need to square with the rear wheel you would think it would deserve at least a paragraph or two...

WOW. Where do I start in answering that question without insulting people (and I have no intent to do do that). Just search all the questions on here about the slingshot from how to adjust the hood latches, tightening the battery cables, air pressure for the tires etc. Then you actually want Polaris to print instructions in the owners manual on how to do an alignment? Do you really think they want to have the liability on their hands for someone who is not qualified to turn a wrench attempt at making steering adjustments? I'm sure you don't want my answer to that one. I've owned many vehicles in my life and I've read the owners manual for each one of them. I don't remember any one of them showing how to align the front end much less even printing the front end alignment specs. There are some things in life that you can do for yourself and aligning the front end of a vehicle without the proper knowledge and equipment is above the pay grade of most people (forum members excluded)

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• @funinthesun to your point yes.... Liability is a huge issue for anyone giving suggestions on vehicle maintenance. With that said doing your alignment at home is not a that hard with the proper system knowledge and understanding. The assumption made is that the person willing to give it a try is (1) not a total moron and (2) understands they are responsible for thier actions.

Wonder if I should repost that procedure here. Never liked the high pressure laser alignment sales pitch.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Funny how they can print exact details picture by picture with every tool known to mankind on how to disassemble and completely rebuild the transmission requiring an entire chapter but tiny front end alignment details are strictly forbidden under penalty of death..

The front end adjustment only requires a few nuts to be adjusted a turn or two...unless you actually change parts..disassembling the transmission requires complete removal and specialized tools...not to mention all the safety elements required to jack up the vehicle, and removing it. Then the complete tearing it apart and putting it back together.

Can’t be any different than the out of alignment adjustments the dealer made when they changed the rack arm....which caused the premature tire wear on one side...

A few nuts a turn or two one way or another.... no disassembly, no jacks, no crawling under the vehicle...

Things that make you go....hmmmm

• The biggest thing about this whole issue...after I change the swing arms and get it aligned it will have to go to the dealer anyway to have the most secret item in the world.... digital wrench hooked up to adjust the steering angle..

• Both strings and lasers can get it aligned. The laser is just easier and more precise.
    The dealer used the straight edge method after the rack replacement and screwed the pooch. Did it again and replaced the tires that were damaged, better but not great.
    Handled like a different beast after the laser alignment, much better.
    Take it to someone who knows what their doing and has successfully aligned a slingshot.
    BTW the shop that works in my vehicles doesn't do alignments, they send it to an alignment shop. Most polaris dealers worked on off road vehicles before selling slingshots. Some of their mechanics have never worked on anything other than atvs and ohvs.

Edited once, last by Red ().