High Heat Temperature Exhaust Paint for Welter Exhaust

• I had the Welter dual exhaust installed at SSITS and I love it. However, I was wondering if anyone has painted the last pipe (the Y pipe) with some sort of high heat temperature exhaust paint to match the rear panel. Maybe Painter knows a little about this or even Jeff. I thought about black heat wrap but was informed that could cause the stainless steel pipe to crack over time.

If it can be done, maybe someone can recommend the best paint to do this.

• I had the Welter dual exhaust installed at SSITS and I love it. However, I was wondering if anyone has painted the last pipe (the Y pipe) with some sort of high heat temperature exhaust paint to match the rear panel. Maybe Painter knows a little about this or even Jeff. I thought about black heat wrap but was informed that could cause the stainless steel pipe to crack over time.

I have no idea how hot the exhaust gets, but found this at Menards....may work? High Temp Paint

Semper Fi

"Will Work for MODs!"

Look for the highest temp. rating that you can find. You could also cerrocote, I think that is right. @DKF Texas knows about this.

• You could get VHT Ceramic which is good to 2000 degrees! It has to be baked or run hot to harden. It’s “green” and will show everything until baked to a cure.
    Not sure how hot that pipe would get.
    Otherwise, I’d go with @FunCycle s recommendation. He’s got a lot of knowledge from years of wrenching even though he is a young Whippersnapper!

• Look for the highest temp. rating that you can find. You could also cerrocote, I think that is right. @DKF Texas knows about this.

Cerakote is a good option, there are even colors and designs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• It’s stainless...it can be polished to an almost mirror finish....that said, I’m not sure if it would turn the “blueish rainbow” like lots of factory chrome exhaust pipes...

For some reason my “Y” pipe came all scratched up, just about the entire pipe... .like it was done intentionally, possibly to hide marks made during the bending process...

I just don’t look at it anymore...LOL...

• @Miller Time I was just about to start a thread asking about this and yours popped up. Have you tried anything yet, and if so how did it turn out. I took advantage of Jeff's father day sale and waiting on my dual exhaust to come in. There is nobody close here I do not think to do the Cerakote coating. May have to do the black high heat paint. I am just trying to keep with my batman theme and have all my stuff black.

:flag_United_States::BLACKSS::COLDAIRSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS::SUPERCHARGERSS::COILOVERSS:

S O G Member - TRAKHAMR

• VHT Flame Proof paint

"Coating will withstand temperatures up to 2000°F (1093°C) and is ideal for use on headers, exhaust systems, or wherever an extreme temperature coating is needed."

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

VHT paints cure from the high temps they get exposed to and the section of pipe you want to paint may never get hot enough to cure the paint. Durability may be a problem if the paint doesn't cure. Cerrokote or powder-coating may be a better choice for that area. Recommend checking with a local exhaust shop or powder-coater.

• I sprayed the VHT black on my Welter duals (only the exposed areas, not underneath) over a year ago and it still looks good. Powdercoating, while it looks fine, is often a very expensive alternative to paint (properly applied). There just is no need to use powdercoat (unless you have lots of disposible $$!!).

• Based on @lowlander's experience and this guy's experience (painting-your-exhaust-why-how-and-what-it-looks-like-1717071689), the paint should cure OK. The link is about painting a motorcycle exhaust. I was concerned the tail end of a long exhaust might not get hot enough to cure the VHT paint, but @lowlandr's experience seems to show it will be OK. Here's an article about painting the exhaust on a truck - How to Paint Your Exhaust Pipe with High Heat Spray Paint.

• @BKL The rear "Y" section of the exhaust gets hot enough to burn rubber and any of the plastic it comes in contact with. I'm sure it will be hot enough to cure the paint. :D

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1