Dust Pouring Out Of Wheel

• I know we all complain about all the dust that collects inside the rear wheel but I witnessed something Saturday that was unbelievable.

@MWSlingshot, Sue (cause I can't remember her handle) @GhostRyder and myself had been riding for a few hours and for the last couple hours the roads seemed to be very dusty/dirty. As we pulled up to the a traffic light between Waynesville and MV he pulls up beside me. As he is coming to a stop I seen something coming from his real wheel. At first I thought it was smoke! Then as he was coming to a complete stop I was able to determine that it was actually dust literally pouring out of his wheel. I would loved to have had a camera on that as it was happening. I could not believe it even though I was seeing it with my own eyes. We went our separate ways and when I saw him later that evening I forgot to mention it. So @MWSlingshot when you go to clean that wheel and complain about all the dust in it just know that there was a lot more in there before it poured out. LOL

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• I know we all complain about all the dust that collects inside the rear wheel but I witnessed something Saturday that was unbelievable.

@MWSlingshot, Sue (cause I can't remember her handle) @GhostRyder and myself had been riding for a few hours and for the last couple hours the roads seemed to be very dusty/dirty. As we pulled up to the a traffic light between Waynesville and MV he pulls up beside me. As he is coming to a stop I seen something coming from his real wheel. At first I thought it was smoke! Then as he was coming to a complete stop I was able to determine that it was actually dust literally pouring out of his wheel. I would loved to have had a camera on that as it was happening. I could not believe it even though I was seeing it with my own eyes. We went our separate ways and when I saw him later that evening I forgot to mention it. So @MWSlingshot when you go to clean that wheel and complain about all the dust in it just know that there was a lot more in there before it poured out. LOL

I saw this happen to @EjFord in Maggie Valley as well. I am hoping it is on one of the dash cam videos

• Myself and @FunCycle were disscussing seeing this happen to painters rim also when we followed him. Had to do a second look when i seen it at first as i thought his brakes were smoking. With all the rain in the area its hard to belive the dust on the rims was that thick

I saw this happen to @EjFord in Maggie Valley as well. I am hoping it is on one of the dash cam videos

Myself and @FunCycle were disscussing seeing this happen to painters rim also when we followed him. Had to do a second look when i seen it at first as i thought his brakes were smoking. With all the rain in the area its hard to belive the dust on the rims was that thick

Sue's handle is @frostedorange for those that can't remember, LOL

After i got home yesterday i was unloading my sling from my trailer and noticed even after hauling it 2.5 hours at 70 mph my rear wheel was covered with dust on the bottom. It's amazing that the rear end of the sling get no air flow across the rear wheel.

Michael West
    Gainesville Ga.
    404-401-0841

:SLRSS::COLDAIRSS::MOTOROILSS: :OILFILTERSS: :00008862::00008698:

:00000436::00000436::00000436:

• It sure can funnel dirt into it. With all the card passing by causing wind turbulence across the road surface you would think there would be no way any dirt could be laying on the road. Especially as much as we each pick up.

I’m thinking of a new design for street sweepers. Make them look like slingshots. Won’t even need a spinning brush.

• I went with ceramic pads and it still collects a lot of dust.

The dust I was seeing was definitely not brake dust. If it were, Michael would have needed a new set of pads every day! It is just a dead air space and since the wheel is in the center of it, it all collects there and is caught up in the centrifugal force inside the wheel and round and round it goes coming out where no body knows. Actually we do know. Some of it comes out when we stop at the red lights as we witnessed and the rest of it comes out in the wash! LOL

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• Wasnt there someone who made a set of..wings or spoilers or something that was attached at the back of the sling to help with this exact problem? Whatever happened to that? Do they work? Maybe that idea needs to be revisited!

SSREAPER

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• Guess I'm going to have to come out with a new product to compliment my "Whistle Stops". Maybe I can call them "Dust Notz"!

Whistle Stops an Dust Notz, I kinda like the sound of that. :thumbsup:

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• Wasnt there someone who made a set of..wings or spoilers or something that was attached at the back of the sling to help with this exact problem? Whatever happened to that? Do they work? Maybe that idea needs to be revisited!

SSREAPER

I remember that...did we find out if they actually worked ?
    SSREAPER

The ones that I have do not help, but they do add color to the back end.

• @roadog1aj came up with thed esign for rear side air deflectors cut from a plastic 5-gallon hbucket. See here - Roadog's D-Mod

Yeah he did and they seem to actually help in keeping the dust down as long as your not creeping along. It's great when folks share their ideas that help us all enjoy our SS's!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• Opposites folks!

Day/night. Good/bad. Wise/stupid. Fun times/mundane dust.

So, the dust that everyone is commenting on is actually the fallout from fun. And unfortunately, you can't have one without the other.

And here is the proof...

If you are not having fun times up front, you will not find mundane dust in the back.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS: