Dust Pouring Out Of Wheel

• Wasnt there someone who made a set of..wings or spoilers or something that was attached at the back of the sling to help with this exact problem? Whatever happened to that? Do they work? Maybe that idea needs to be revisited!

SSREAPER

@roadog1aj came up with thed esign for rear side air deflectors cut from a plastic 5-gallon hbucket. See here - Roadog's D-Mod - Post # 16. He used 1.5" spacers as standoffs, but it's an easy change to use larger standoffs that might hopefully provide more airflow.

I plan on playing around with this mod once I finish my remodel and get back into mod-mode. I'll likely use diamond plate to match the rear panels I make and try to find a configuration that actually provides enough airflow across the wheel to make a difference (notice I didn't say eliminate the problem). At the very least it can look cool and provide some more color and interest back there.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I plan on playing around with this mod once I finish my remodel and get back into mod-mode. I'll likely use diamond plate to match the rear panels I make and try to find a configuration that actually provides enough airflow across the wheel to make a difference (notice I didn't say eliminate the problem). At the very least it can look cool and provide some more color and interest back there.

That sounds great...the one thing that has me thinking is for the people with the Welter dual rear that are having problems with fumes...I wonder how adding these would effect the fumes...better or worse? Just something to think about!

SSREAPER

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• That sounds great...the one thing that has me thinking is for the people with the Welter dual rear that are having problems with fumes...I wonder how adding these would effect the fumes...better or worse? Just something to think about!

I don't have the duals, I have the bagger style. I have ZERO fumes. With that said, I have this mod, a wind restrictor, rear medium size wing, and a madstad windshield.

• That sounds great...the one thing that has me thinking is for the people with the Welter dual rear that are having problems with fumes...I wonder how adding these would effect the fumes...better or worse? Just something to think about!
    SSREAPER

I do not have fumes with my Welter Duals and the UP Top, never have even with the cat delete at the begining

• Damn, I hope not! The shit people are doing these days would probably not play out well...

Tide pods, condoms... don't even want to know what party in the rear would bring out.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• I'm researching the idea of using a forced air set-up to pick up air from under the Sling and duct it back to the rear rim. I think a flat (long-ish rectangular) plastic air intake mounted under the Sling, using flexible ducting routed back, fastened in the area of the emergency brake assembly with a directed nozzle type exit, aimed directly at the inside of the rear rim would work quite effectively. Maybe even at lower speeds. Higher speeds would certainly allow for a good constant blast of air. (similar to what the race cars use for cooling their brakes)
    I'm all about keeping the things looking good and not have something bulky or half-assed looking. So this would have to be tastefully applied, and still produce acceptable results.

Thoughts????

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• I'm researching the idea of using a forced air set-up to pick up air from under the Sling and duct it back to the rear rim. I think a flat (long-ish rectangular) plastic air intake mounted under the Sling, using flexible ducting routed back, fastened in the area of the emergency brake assembly with a directed nozzle type exit, aimed directly at the inside of the rear rim would work quite effectively. Maybe even at lower speeds. Higher speeds would certainly allow for a good constant blast of air. (similar to what the race cars use for cooling their brakes)
    I'm all about keeping the things looking good and not have something bulky or half-assed looking. So this would have to be tastefully applied, and still produce acceptable results.

Thoughts????

@mniron is already running one on his Sling, front and rear.

• @mniron is already running one on his Sling, front and rear.

Yeah...but I thought they were targeted more for brake cooling than "Dust Busting" on the rear. I'll have to take another look at his set-up. Thanks!!

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• @roadog1aj your idea carries a lot of merit. You should follow through with it and report back.

As @FunCycle mentioned I am currently running deflectors on the front and rear. The front deflectors are the one that @gearhead brought to us here. I did however mount mine differently to pick up more air. This was to provide cooling to the front brakes but the side benefit was it kept the front wheel barrels clean of almost all dust. Anyone who has seen my Sling knows that my front wheels are 10.5” wide. Because of how well it worked on the front wheels I did a quick prototype on the rear, the prototype worked! I did show the prototype deflector to several people in Maggie with positive responses.

The plan is to build a deflector with even more air flow and test. If I can get this as a simple bolt on application that is functional I believe many would like to have one. I just ordered material yesterday with hopes on have a working deflector on my SlingShot in a couple of weeks(have heard that before).

• @roadog1aj your idea carries a lot of merit. You should follow through with it and report back.

As @FunCycle mentioned I am currently running deflectors on the front and rear. The front deflectors are the one that @ethermion brought to us here. I did however mount mine differently to pick up more air. This was to provide cooling to the front brakes but the side benefit was it kept the front wheel barrels clean of almost all dust. Anyone who has seen my Sling knows that my front wheels are 10.5” wide. Because of how well it worked on the front wheels I did a quick prototype on the rear, the prototype worked! I did show the prototype deflector to several people in Maggie with positive responses.

The plan is to build a deflector with even more air flow and test. If I can get this as a simple bolt on application that is functional I believe many would like to have one. I just ordered material yesterday with hopes on have a working deflector on my SlingShot in a couple of weeks(have heard that before).

I would like to order the whole set please! Take your time...the best things are done when your not Rushin! Good thing Im Italian :D

SSreaper

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• here where I live there is a lot of farming activity and the roads this time of year have dirt splatterd all over them from the tractors moving from one field to another, and im having a hell of a time trying to keep the sling clean in the back. this past thursday I was following my son who was driving my sling and when he would hit a dusty spot the air from under the sling would twril the dirt up from the road and swril it to the middle of the back rim, looked just like a wave does in the ocean. I was amazed that I could actualy see it.

• here where I live there is a lot of farming activity and the roads this time of year have dirt splatterd all over them from the tractors moving from one field to another, and im having a hell of a time trying to keep the sling clean in the back. this past thursday I was following my son who was driving my sling and when he would hit a dusty spot the air from under the sling would twril the dirt up from the road and swril it to the middle of the back rim, looked just like a wave does in the ocean. I was amazed that I could actualy see it.

Watch out for leaking "honey wagons" they can make a mess and cause a wreck if it happens in the twisted.

• I will post some pics of my front deflectors as I mounted when I get some.

Oh hell yes!!! I am perfectly happy waiting to see your set-up once you have it designed to your satisfaction!! You sir, are among the masters of design and upgrades for our Slings, and I will be one of your first customers for this upgrade!! Anything I tried to do would be quite amateurish to say the least.....why beat myself up when I can wait for the best??!!! Thanks for your update and info @mniron!!! :thumbup:

• Oh hell yes!!! I am perfectly happy waiting to see your set-up once you have it designed to your satisfaction!! You sir, are among the masters of design and upgrades for our Slings, and I will be one of your first customers for this upgrade!! Anything I tried to do would be quite amateurish to say the least.....why beat myself up when I can wait for the best??!!! Thanks for your update and info @mniron!!! :thumbup:

HEY>>>I ALREADY SAID IM GOING TO BE THE FIRST!!! LOL

SSREAPER

• Some pics of the front deflectors, I have not cleaned the wheels for three weeks

Drivers side

Passenger side

With wheels turned

Rear prototype, wheels have not been cleaned for three weeks