Whoa...voodoo bumper and 4 wheel conversion?

• How a manufacturer registers a vehicle at the time of registering the original title is regulated , I would respectively challenge you Sir to show us where in those regulations , it is stated that no modifications are allowed to a vehicle after it has been titled. The key question here is , does modifying a vehicle with a bolt on mod that appears to alter it from the state which it was originally registered void its registration ? to this date I have yet to be made aware of any regulation in any State that cares to address that. please specify if you are so aware of one ?

Effective July 1st Florida took it a step further .... not defining an Autocycle as what it is manufactured as but rather defining what an Autocycle is ... so you change it beyond the definition, and it is no longer classified as an Autocycle in Florida ...

This directly addresses the question of modification to its form at any time and for all time it is registered in the state ....

"
    (2) AUTOCYCLE.—A three-wheeled motorcycle that has two wheels in the front and one wheel in the back; is equipped with a roll cage or roll hoops, a seat belt for each occupant,antilock brakes, a steering wheel, and seating that does not require the operator to straddle or sit astride it; and is manufactured in accordance with the applicable federal motorcycle safety standards in 49 C.F.R. part 571 by a manufacturer registered with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. "

...... nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• So you're saying theres a chance.....

• Oh, that is so funny asking me about putting a roof on a motorcycle................... :S
    On that note, A friend and I happened to trade vehicles yesterday with me taking his two wheeler and he our SlingShot. To ride the two wheeler I was all decked out in proper PPE, it was in the mid-nineties OAT, and I really was a roasting while he was a complementing how much more comfortable the SlingShot was in such weather, even without a roof! :D

Bill

I have to agree - here in the desert it gets very hot and no I do not have a roof, but at least I can ride in shorts & a T-shirt and a very small 1/2 helmet. On 2 wheels I would never do that

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• To add on to what Orangeman shared, in respect to Oregon, an autocycle is under motorcycle regulations, so must first meet the definition of a motorcycle:

motorcycle

(3) Is designed to travel with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground. [1983 c.338 §63]

...............where a 4-wheeled vehicle clearly does not meet this definition.

By the way I read all of this, if you drove this vehicle in Oregon and they wanted to get ya, they got ya!

Bill

• OOPS sorry Bill , didn,t mean to come off as touchy lol guess that was worded a little short, no alls I am saying is , yes those are the requirements that a vehicle has to meet when it is originally titled. Remember a manufacturer doers not title a vehicle when it is produced . The first title is produced at the time of first sale to a consumer. The Dmv at that time looks only at the classification of the vehicle documents the manufacturer claims and certifies the vehicle to meet. If the vehicle at that time is a three wheel slingshot that particular state has already decided whether or not they will be registered as a motorcycle or autocycle and will title it as such .

The question, adding a conversion kit rises, is whether or not modifying a perfectly legal, already titled, slingshot, voids it's registration because it no longer appears to meet the definition of a motorcycle or an autocycle ? And in my opinion , unless that Oregon statute also includes a section that says- " no person shall alter or modify a motorcycle or auto cycle so that that it no longer meets the original definition of said article such and such, or section such and such " then you are free to modify !

• I took it all in fun, Kevin! :)

Like I said, this is going to be interesting if, or when, this winds up in court, is it not?

I have a sneaking suspicion that in the end folks are ultimately going to wish that they had left this all well enough alone and allowed the SlingShot to remain classified as it was when originally conceived, a simple motorcycle. :(

Bill

• I agree. I like that it is classified as a motorcycle in California, I also like that there does not seem to be any effort in the state to create an autocycle classification. I also feel fairly comfortable that no matter what they do to future slingshots or other reverse trikes that it is highly unlikely that they would retroactively change the classification of my slingshot or suddenly require safety equipment that was not required when I bought it

• Well yes there's always that angle too , and here in Ontario We,re only two years into a ten year trial period . Theres no real guarantees they will even be approved as either eight years from now! and during the trial period , we cannot allow a infant as a passenger , and an infant has been defined as anyone not yet a teenager !

• not yet a teenager? =O=O

• Forget the definition of what an autocycle is or should be, that only applies to when they built it, at least here in MN you can modify it to your heart's content and as long as you do not modify the frame and the mods are bolt-on there are no restrictions on it .

Rather than sitting here and argue about the law or what some statue states, call your local DMV and ask them if modifying the slingshot requires anything on their end, also do talk to someone who is knowledgeable on the matter(as in don't go to the country office that has the one person doing 20 different roles and knows jack about them ) and try not to bait/coach them into the answer you want.

Regardless of what the statue reads unless you call the DMV all you're posting is YOUR opinion on the subject which is irrelevant, only thing that matters is what your local DMV thinks.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Also, I do not understand why would somebody want to do this? One of the reasons we purchased our SlingShot was because it is unique, this mod makes the SlingShot look like just another dune buggy or sand rail and not as versatile?

Bill

same reason folks go boosted or upgrade seats .... they want to and they can - this is the first truth of owning a Slingshot ..... you can do as little as you want to it or as much as you can afford

• no speculation here, :D you add a 4th wheel,.. it's a kit car and would not be registered as a SS, autocycle, or motorcycle. I'd win all day every day in court if this had a motorcycle plate.

boosted or seats are not adding the 4th wheel.

what's the difference? Changing the factory specs that led to the given classification

I'm not trying to start a war of words but we all (especially me) like to get caught up in details that will never apply to us personally - if this is something you are considering and you care about insurance and/or registration then you have to do your homework to know if it is right for you

• Regardless of what the statue reads unless you call the DMV all you're posting is YOUR opinion on the subject which is irrelevant, only thing that matters is what your local DMV thinks.

OK, I did it, I asked Justina to call an acquaintance from the DMV she is familiar with, his response.................if it has four wheels then it is no longer eligible as a motorcycle or autocycle in Oregon.

So, I guess that settles that?

Bill

• But I still think your all still asking the wrong question, you should have asked , once it is registered as a motorcycle and or autocycle , at what point is it required to be brought in and retitled, the answer is never, in all states titles are issued when sold to the first owner and are cast in stone form cradle to grave, they are only transferred nor altered when a vehicle is sold used. AT TIME OF RESALE THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT TO PRESENT THE VEHICLE TO THE DMV FOR AN INSPECTION. so how could there possibly be a determination of having too many wheels to qualify when wheels are not viewed ?

• But I still think your all still asking the wrong question, you should have asked , once it is registered as a motorcycle and or autocycle , at what point is it required to be brought in and retitled, the answer is never, in all states titles are issued when sold to the first owner and are cast in stone form cradle to grave, they are only transferred nor altered when a vehicle is sold used. AT TIME OF RESALE THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT TO PRESENT THE VEHICLE TO THE DMV FOR AN INSPECTION. so how could there possibly be a determination of having too many wheels to qualify when wheels are not viewed ?

Is this bolt on legal for on road use ?

No.....but but but its only a bolt on and doesn't change the way the vehicle is titled .....

You seem to forget there are these people who ride around in vehicles with flashing blue lights and badges who are tasked by the state to enforce the laws as written and given the power to remove you and your vehicle from public roadways if you violate those regulations. The state can't prevent you from purchasing/owning a vehicle and doing whatever you want with it ... but they can deny you the privilege of operating it on public roadways ....

Stretch, wish, justify, twist it however you want.. in FL at least the new regulation is crystal clear without room for interpretation and was specifically written to address this issue ....

...... confused-squared

AT TIME OF RESALE THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT TO PRESENT THE VEHICLE TO THE DMV FOR AN INSPECTION

If it is a private sale or you are transferring from another state you must have your vehicle onsite at the DMV office for visual inspection inclucing Odometer/VIN verification when applying for registration in the state of FL ...

If the sale is at a dealer registered by the state they are responsible for supplying the information and can have their license pulled and be subject to prosicution if they provide false information .....

Edited 3 times, last by Orangeman: Can't spell this morning ...need more coffee .... ().

• just to throw this out there, so if this is added to a motorcylce the it is considerd what in the states in guestion

In FL it would be registered as a Motorcycle so not subject to the new Autocycle registration regulations and not relevant to this specific conversation .....

...... nerd-squared