ESP Light question

• My ESP light seems to be randomly coming on and staying on. Per the Owner's manual, if the light stays on, there is supposed to be a problem with the system, but if I turn the engine off and then restart, the light doesn't come back on. Sometimes, it will come back on farther down the road, but not always. If there really is a problem with the ESP system, I'd expect the light to stay on. At first, I thought maybe I temporarily lost traction and that somehow triggered the light, but it now seems to be happening frequently enough that I don't think ti was loss of traction.
    Anybody else experienced problems with the ESP light coming on for no apparent reason? Since the light goes off after a restart, should I be concerned? Is this something where replacing a magnetic switch with a fully mechanical switch might make a difference?
    Helpful feedback appreciated.

My first inclination is a wheel speed sensor loosing signal intermittently ....

I would pull them and see if one is fouled or if you have any water in the swing-arm .. this is a known reason for the rear speed sensor to flake out... lots did when they forgot to put some of the swing-arm plugs in during the recall but water can enter other areas ...

..... nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• First question...
    year and model?

Second question...
    Have you recently added anything to your brake light circuit? Trailer harness, third brake light flasher, LED light strip?

And a simple test... position your Sling tail end toward a wall so you can observe the brake lights coming on and going off. Start the Sling and then...

Press brake pedal and watch for brake lights on then release and brake lights off. Repeat this often with short and long duration depresses. And when I say long, as if you were waiting on a stop light or train to pass.

If at any time your brake lights fail to go off immediately upon release... there will be your ESP light.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• I should have supplied that info in my original post!
    2015 base model.
    No changes to brake light circuit. I installed a brake light flasher module in early 2016, but removed it after a month or so and haven't used it since.
    From your test cycle description of the brake lights, it sounds like the problem may be due to a faulty brake switch. I didn't yet try your test cycle, but if memory serves me correctly, I typically see the ESP light come on after having stopped for a red light and usually seem to notice it after I have accelerated from the light. I was thinking it might have something to do with accelerating from the light, but it may well be associated with having my foot on the brake pedal for an extended period. IIRC, the light started coming on frequently after I had my brake fluid replaced at the dealer.

• Trigger happens when brake lights are on but nanny does not detect deceleration, such as under acceleration.

Words, hope that made sense.

Plenty of 2015 and 2016 systens did not play well with additional juice being pulled on the brake system. My 2016 with brake light modulator was one of them. I have since replaced the magnetic brake switch with a mechanical because I wanted the modulator.

My ESP light went away with the removal of the brake light modulator. That simple brake test was how i found what was triggering my ESP light. If the brake lights don't go out every time the brake pedal comes home, ESP light triggers on acceleration.

Simple test. And your magnetic switch could be weak on detecting pedal return.

• Other items could cause the ESP light as @Orangeman suggested above...

But, troubleshooting a speed sensor will be more in depth.

I would think the only way to diag a speed sensor is to have a computer hooked to the sling while driving to see if the sensors are reading correctly and in sync or you start swapping them with a known good one. How else could you diag that problem yourself?

SSREAPER

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• Digital Wrench and OHM meter

Cheapest under warranty and better isolation for what position is bad.

Not good. The other option is swaptronics... purchase ($40.00 -$80.00 per pop) and swap out out each individual sensor until problem clears. Cost and time prohibitive.

• Digital Wrench and OHM meter

Cheapest under warranty and better isolation for what position is bad.

Not good. The other option is swaptronics... purchase ($40.00 -$80.00 per pop) and swap out out each individual sensor until problem clears. Cost and time prohibitive.

I have know alot of self proclaimed mechanics that only practice that one!! True diagnostics has gone the way of the dinosaur!

SSreaper

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS: