Need help replacing stock front leg speakers...

• I got my new kicker hump speakers in one side today. Then unbolted the drivers leg speaker pods which I am totally removing and leaving off.

I’m handy with tools but am not familiar with electronics.

The new speakers simply have black and red wires.

The stock speakers have a coupling harness. Three wires going in and out. Brown/red, brown/black, black going in - yellow, white, and black going out.

How do I hook up the new speakers?

I did search this forum but could find the specifics I am looking for.

Thanks for any help.... :)

• Sounds like she wants to power the hoop pod speakers using the wires from the front speakers. IIRC, she has the gen 2 front speaker pods which she is replacing with the hoop pods. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the wiring on the gen 2 front pods.

• Just the driver's side? What about balance and symmetry? :whistling:

Also, I know I've asked before, but... I'm interested in those if you aren't... :saint:

As for you question, Rab will know... He's the audio king! Great system, that isn't overdone, but done well and done loud. I want to grow up and be like him... :thumbsup:

• The three wires coming out of the pods will throw you for a loop....but only 2 of the wires are actually used. I cracked mine open when I did my install and found that out. Let me see if I can find my original post that describes the wiring....

Semper Fi

"Will Work for MODs!"

• Just the driver's side? What about balance and symmetry? :whistling:

Also, I know I've asked before, but... I'm interested in those if you aren't... :saint:

As for you question, Rab will know... He's the audio king! Great system, that isn't overdone, but done well and done loud. I want to grow up and be like him... :thumbsup:

I tentatively found someone who can fabricate a replacement for those front stock pods. I was going to remove the drivers side and see how it felt driving without it first. If I like it, I was going to use that wiring to hook my new hump speakers to.

Nothing is ever as easy as it sounds.

The new speakers are also LED, and my lighting guy extended the wire with his own connector (since he will be doing all my lighting soon).

First, my channel lock would not fit in the gas opening. Run to Home Depot, get the thinnest one they have. Get back home, still doesn’t fit. Work it sorta sideways, and get the gas gasket-thingy off finally. Then finally get the original hump off.

Then that LED connector would not fit through the wire/drainage hole under the hump. Take the hump off, drill hole larger. Biggest drill bit I have was not large enough.

No file on hand that would work. Run out to HD again, get a file. File the hole larger but it’s hard filing fiberglass. Finally get the hole barely big enough and the connector goes through.

Takes a while to figure out how to fish the wires through. Gotta rig up a coat hanger hook. Finally get the wires fished through and almost taught, when they get stuck. Now the shrink tubing won’t fit through the hole. Argggggg

Try to stuff it through, now it won’t budge. Decide to leave the wiring stuffed in the hole. Then started working on taking the pod off. Then ran into the 5 different color wiring for the stock speaker and that odd connector junction.

Then realized I can’t leave the wires stufed in the hole as then the water won’t drain and probably the vibration over time will cut into the wire. Then I threw my hands up and quit. I thought I could get this installed within 30 minutes. Ha ha ha

So anyway, will go back at it tomorrow. I did it all backwards. Should have just tried to get the front pods off and see how that felt when driving first.

Those pods are wired into a large plug. If I can get that plug out I can test drive it tomorrow without having to cut the wires which I don’t want to do just in case I don’t like driving without them.

So after all that blah blah blah, why do you want someone’s stock pods??

• I've never sat in a Slingshot with the Gen 2 lower speaker pods, but if they're anything like the Gen 1 pods, I took the used ones I bought out because I missed the extra legroom!

Also - make sure you hook up all speakers maintaining polarity between each pair of speakers. Failure to do so will place the speakers out of phase with each other and will result in garbled sound.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• The new speaker pods actually sound great when hooked up to an external amp. However, I will agree that having something more slim would definitely help with your left leg. I’m so used to it that it doesn’t bother me enough to spend several hundred dollars to change them.

Semper Fi

"Will Work for MODs!"

• Thanks everyone for the help. After reading the replies, I tackled it again and one side is done. What a difference from the stock speakers! And I love the leg room now. Getting an air ride installed tomorrow so won’t get the other side done until next week.

Couldn’t have done it without your help.

And while we’re at it, see the ugly bolt holes on the roll bar? Do they make something to cover that up? Looks terrible.

• Thanks everyone for the help. After reading the replies, I tackled it again and one side is done. What a difference from the stock speakers! And I love the leg room now. Getting an air ride installed tomorrow so won’t get the other side done until next week.

Couldn’t have done it without your help.

And while we’re at it, see the ugly bolt holes on the roll bar? Do they make something to cover that up? Looks terrible.

Great work!

I'd want the front pods because I don't mind the space they take up and am looking to have them painted to better go with my theme...

The ones I have now can't be painted and I'd be passing them on to someone else in need...

#payitforward

• Great work!
    I'd want the front pods because I don't mind the space they take up and am looking to have them painted to better go with my theme...

The ones I have now can't be painted and I'd be passing them on to someone else in need...

#payitforward

Let me think about this. I'm being cautious on selling anything stock because there will come the day when I sell the Sling (hopefully not for a long time) and someone may balk at having no front pods.

I'm bookmarked this so I can refer back to it.

• Another situation that I experienced and no one wants to think about is if you get wrecked and go through an insurance settlement, you can remove aftermarket parts that you have the stock replacements for. Very advantageous if your aftermarket parts coverage does not equal your investment.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Another situation that I experienced and no one wants to think about is if you get wrecked and go through an insurance settlement, you can remove aftermarket parts that you have the stock replacements for. Very advantageous if your aftermarket parts coverage does not equal your investment.

Wouldn't that apply only if they totaled it and were taking it? Hell if that's the case I would strip it down of my options whether I had the originals or not. I did that to two of my cars with stereos systems after they paid the claim.

SSreaper

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• Wouldn't that apply only if they totaled it and were taking it? Hell if that's the case I would strip it down of my options whether I had the originals or not. I did that to two of my cars with stereos systems after they paid the claim.

SSreaper

You are correct. If you don't buy it back as salvage, you must have replacements for anything you remove. They require it to be an entire vehicle. I made arrangements with my insurance company to remove my after market shocks, windshield, steering wheel, exhaust and intake. I had the original parts for all except the intake which I located here, on the forum. In the end, I bought it back for salvage and sold it as such to a forum member.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)