My words of caution to all my forum family members about wet roads.

• I know most of you know how dangerous the Slingshot can be when it is raining or even on a wet street. But some owners have not had one of those heart warming "oh shit" moments yet. Those precious moments when the back tire wants to be the front tire. Or as its known professionally . HYDROPLANING

Please take this advice from someone who has been there and done that..... I dont get on my soapbox very often. But when I do I want everyone to know that I am I really serious about this. I value everyone on this forums friendship. The last thing I want to hear about is how someone slipped off the road in the rain and cleared a ditch out. Or hit a guardrail running 55 on the interstate because they thought it would be safe at the slower speed. There is really no safe foolproof speed to travel with these in the rain or on wet roads. Sure you can do it. I have seen many owners gear up in their rain suits and cross the country with their Slingshot. But even they will tell you that it turns loose from the pavement very easily.

If you just got your Slingshot and haven't had the opportunity to drive in the rain with it OR if your one of the long time first owners and haven't had your scare yet. Congratulations. Everyone just do me a favor and find somewhere to pull off if it starts raining. Then if you want to head out after the rain stops just be super careful of the wet road. Take it easy and try to keep it at about 25 or 30 till you can see the road dry up.

I bring this topic up because it appears that it may rain a little on each day in Maggie Valley. I personally dont worry to much about the forecast when it comes to a rally or event. I have missed some of the best events because I looked at the forecast and told myself it wouldn't be worth going. I actually welcome a little rain each day to cool things off and knock the pollen and dust down.

Just be safe and remember that you have very little weight on that back tire. And stay off the painted lines because they are super slick. I'll see everyone in Maggie Valley.

• This is why I did this.
    Sorry guys and girls we decided to cancel our trip because of weather, it is just to dangerous for such a long trip 12 hrs. in the rain and then every day a chance of 50 - 80% rain.

understand 100%.. I avoid the rain whenever possible. I have been lucky but never let my guard down. 12hours is a long trip dry much less very wet.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• To clarify.... I didn't post to scare anyone into not coming. I think the majority of the time it will rain later in the afternoons and be spotty showers hopefully. I kinda like trying to dodge the radar images of rain.

But I do understand that if your a long way from the event that it would be awful to ride the whole way in the rain.

Just be safe. And for those that make it.... I will be the big fat guy really close to the cooler if it's raining. And possibly eating pizza.

• In Georgia an inch of snow shuts down a town completely, in Montana several feet of snow and you are still expected to go to work
    In Las Vegas, a quick thundershower can turn the roads to slime, in Washington state folks take in a deluge as being normal

What is the Boy Scouts motto, "Be Prepared"?

Learn your vehicle!

Yes, the SlingShot can hydroplane, but so can every other vehicle out there if the conditions are conducive. The Grasshopper can slip out from under you very quickly, it really sashayed out from under me once when I hit a river of water running across the Interstate. I got a bit of warning when I saw Justina ahead of me in our Jetta do a lil tail wiggle, (and it does fantastic on wet roads), but the Corvette behind me wound up in the bushes, so would you tell Corvette owners not to drive when the roads are wet? Here in SW Oregon if you choose not to drive when the roads are wet than we would only be able to ride it maybe a month or two out of the year. Further, we also have to take into consideration gravel and frost on the road ways, that would take care of those remaining couple of months.

The key is not to allow wet roads scare you, but to use caution and some common sense when it happens, the more water on the road, the more you slow down, and get better hydroplane avoidance tires other than the Kendas. Since we have installed the g-Force COMP-2 A/S tires on the Grasshopper it does much better on wet roads.

I'll repeat, "Be Prepared", use some common sense when the weather is not perfect, but you shouldn't allow it to stop you completely!

Bill

• I'm thinking letting some air out of the back tire might help ( maybe lower the rear tire down to 20psi) during rainy conditions but have not rode in rain myself in other than sprinkles.

• Yeah, I am currently off the road undercover waiting for the weather radar to clear up a bit. Aside from the visibility going to hell and my glasses fogging up pretty badly, the deciding factor in that was a little wiggle in the rear end a couple of times and a couple of in a couple of standing puddles that weren't draining. No desire to be facing the wrong way in traffic.

Completely understand folks not making the trip for Maggie, or any other event, but for those who are in Maggie for the week, I really don't think (based on my experience here in the area, which isn't as long as some people who have lived here for quite a while) that there is a huge risk of entire days lost during the week while at Maggie. I suspect it will be an hour here or 3 hours there, that kind of thing.

Regardless, drive safe.

• I'm thinking letting some air out of the back tire might help ( maybe lower the rear tire down to 20psi) during rainy conditions but have not rode in rain myself in other than sprinkles.

I know it seems counter intuitive but dropping the pressure increases the tire footprint and decreases the effectiveness of the tread patterns ability to evacuate water with a softer tire unable to resist the pressure created by water on the road, cupping in the center rather than cutting through the water (think motorcycle tire) increasing the chance of hydroplaning and loosing traction ....

Courtesy of TireRack.com Tech dept. ...

Photo #1

Photo #2

Photo #3

Photo #4

"The first photograph shows a tire properly inflated to 35 psi sitting still in the water on the glass plate. This provides an accurate idea of the tire's footprint size and shape.

The black area is where the tire's rubber compound is pressed on the glass, and the green areas identify water in the tire's circumferential and high-angle lateral grooves, and on the remainder of the glass plate.

A properly inflated tire will have enough pressure in the center of its tread to resist collapsing.
    The second picture is of a tire properly inflated to 35 psi, driving across the glass at 60 miles per hour. If the glass plate were dry, the footprint size would be virtually identical to the first picture because air does not prevent the tread from contacting the plate. However, with standing water on the plate, the tire's tread depth and tread design must evacuate the water as the tire rolls across the plate at 88 feet per second. You will notice that the footprint still shows good contact with the plate, but is slightly smaller than the static tire's footprint.

A tire that is slightly under-inflated will apply less pressure to the center of the tread and it will become slightly concave.
    The third picture is of a tire inflated to only 30 psi, again driving across the glass at 60 miles per hour. With the same amount of standing water on the plate, the center of the tire's tread is lifted as the tread design unsuccessfully attempts to evacuate water as the tire rolls across the plate. You will notice that the actual footprint shows poor contact with the plate and is significantly smaller than the footprint in the photograph of the properly inflated tire.
    A tire that is significantly under-inflated will allow the center of the tread to collapse and become very concave, trapping water rather than flowing it through the tread design.

The final picture is of a tire inflated to only 25 psi, driving across the glass plate at 60 miles per hour. With the same amount of standing water, the water lifts the center of the tire's tread as its footprint rolls across the plate. You will notice that the actual footprint shows little contact with the plate and has been virtually reduced to the shoulder areas."

Keep the pressure stock or even a bit high in the wet ....

...... nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• yeah most people tend to have the misguided idea that letting air out of the tires helps them on wet roads(hydroplaning) just like it helps with snow and "rock crawling".

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Last year the SSITS had the worst forecast of any of the 3 years. But it ended up being the best weather wise of the three years, if I remember it only rained one afternoon instead of every afternoon of the first two years. The main thing that I have had a problem with is the standing water and only hooking one tire, be it one of the fronts or the rear. As long as all three had the same amount of water under them I have had no problems. Another thing is running a tire with some good tread for displacing water. Ride Safe and slow down, no matter what in the rain. Also for those running the tall wind screens, you will not be able to see thru them in the rain and when they fog up.

• .....and this is exactly why Forums are the Best , especially when they have people that are engaged in their toys because this is something we should all know ! ...because I surely didn't....

• I am in the Tire business and couldn't have said it any better. Thank you @Orangeman.

Running any tire under the recommended pressure can and will cause the sidewall of the tire to heat up and the tire can fail from this alone! Think Firestone /Ford explorer about 17 years ago. That was a nightmare of a recall the we had to deal with.

Please everybody...be safe at all times! RAIN OR SHINE!!

SSreaper

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• The problem I have is requested pressure causes my tire to wear down the middle but if I run 28psi it wears evenly. Now I am stuck in a lose lose situation LOL

By the time I save up for mods, I have to buy another rear tire :cursing:

• The problem I have is requested pressure causes my tire to wear down the middle but if I run 28psi it wears evenly. Now I am stuck in a lose lose situation LOL

No your not....we rountinely will decrease a tires pressure by a couple of pounds just for that reason...wear.

2-3 lbs is not a problem....10 lbs or more...thats a problem!!

SSREAPER

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

The problem I have is requested pressure causes my tire to wear down the middle but if I run 28psi it wears evenly. Now I am stuck in a lose lose situation LOL

I always run whatever air pressure that will give me even wear across the tire tread (which also means more traction). On the SS it has been from 26 to 28 PSI in the rear tire. It will vary with the brand of tire and what width rim the tire is mounted on. Any auto parts store has the gauge to check the depth of the tread on your tires and check all of the way across. This will also indicate if the swing arm is not lined up and is crabbing.

I believe that you are misunderstanding what is being said here, where if operating your vehicle with the recommended pressure is causing your tires to wear in the middle, then this is not the optimal pressure for your vehicle. What you need to do is find the pressure that allows your tires to gain it's largest footprint, without causing it to cup in the middle. With our BF Goodrich Comp 2 A/S that appears to be 26 pounds in the front and 30 pounds in the rear cold.

Bill