My words of caution to all my forum family members about wet roads.

• a tar snake is what they fill the cracks in the road with, its a big waste of money. they actualy have a crew walk along the road with a large air compressor blowing out the dirt from the crack then fill it with tar. the bad thing about this is even more waste of money is coming because they then put down tar with sand and pea sized rocks on top and then let the public drive on it to pack it down. after its packed they brush off the excess and call it done, I call it bull shit.

• Thank you for the explain...I do know that roads that deal with snow and salt and such are some of the worst roads to drive on. Those roads take a beating every season.

SSreaper

I never said one...but didnt want to come outright and say that your BATSHIT crazy either! :thumbsup:

SSreaper

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• When I first started with the Road Commission I had to work on that crew. We never used stone or sand as a top coat. Much like the picture above we just blew out the cracks and filled them with tar. We would spray the top with soapy water to cool it and make it less tacky. Once it didn't leave a boot impression we would move our cones forward 100yds and repeat the process.

When I used the Patch Rite, pothole patcher I would too the Patch with stone. I still had to wait for that to cool before moving forward.

As for regular pothole filling with a shovel, drivers always complain that we don't tamp them down with our shovels. The complaints even had our foreman telling us to ramp them with our shovels. I explained to our foremen that no amount of smacking it with a shovel or a hand tamper would do anything. It is a waste of time. Your 3-10 ton vehicles will tamp it deeper right after we walk away. Tar covered stones will still get pulled off the patch and make "ting, ting" noises on your car. I told them if they push the hand ramping thing, I will guarantee they will get two hand tamped lanes about a half mile worth done that way each day, rather than the 5-15 miles of 4 lanes. The potholes would keep coming and getting bigger all over the county regardless what path they chose. We never had to hand tamp again. ^^

• Huh?

Moisture gets under the road in the fall rainy season, either through cracks and potholes, or from the sides of the road and works its way underneath. Then, in the winter, that moisture underneath the road freezes, which expands the soil, and pushes up sections of the road like Mother Nature's little speed bumps. Sometimes they go down a little in the spring, but usually not, so a road that 6 months ago might have been fairly flat is now a series of road-wide and unmarked speed bumps, sometimes very significant.

• Moisture gets under the road in the fall rainy season, either through cracks and potholes, or from the sides of the road and works its way underneath. Then, in the winter, that moisture underneath the road freezes, which expands the soil, and pushes up sections of the road like Mother Nature's little speed bumps. Sometimes they go down a little in the spring, but usually not, so a road that 6 months ago might have been fairly flat is now a series of road-wide and unmarked speed bumps, sometimes very significant.

So it basically buckles the road...how the hell do you guys deal with that? You have to tear up the whole thing and start from scratch?

SSreaper

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• @KayTwo very good explanation of things. I will just add that if the hump is big enough and there were no plans to replace that section of road, we grind the jumps down with a road grinder attached to a skidster. You are right that "do nothing" is usually the course of action.