Small turbo, 5lbs boost... 2" WP Dual ok to run?

• Got the hookup on a small stage one turbo kit and dreading having to sell and replace the welter performance dual exhaust I have. Spent a lot of time to get it sealed and to fit my sling like a glove. If I am running a small turbo with only 5lbs of boost and not plans to boost further, can I get by with a 2" exhaust?

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• Got the hookup on a small stage one turbo kit and dreading having to sell and replace the welter performance dual exhaust I have. Spent a lot of time to get it sealed and to fit my sling like a glove. If I am running a small turbo with only 5lbs of boost and not plans to boost further, can I get by with a 2" exhaust?

Is this a Hahn Stage 1 setup @ 5 psi or another turbo? If it is a Hahn setup, give Hahn and call and talk with him to see what he suggests. If it is a different setup, I would need more details about the turbo, manifold, intercooler setup, tuning, what power it is making (different turbos flow different amounts of air at the same pressure) etc. to get a better idea. Even then, there are plenty of guys that have blown up their engines with 2.5" setups and a 2" system is going to be more restrictive. We have a 2" welter here that we are going to be testing the supercharger kit with after Maggie Valley to see what kind of power we can safely put through it, but it will be about a month before we get done with that testing.

• AFAIK, a typical Stage 1 turbo system probably doesn't use an intercooler, but 5 lbs boost is generally the transition point where folks start using an intercooler and larger exhaust pipes. This would lead me to think a larger exhaust would probably be better, but you might be able to get by with the 2" Welter. It would probably slightly increase backpressure and might even result in slightly less boost compared to the Welter 2.5" exhaust. I know they're talking about a SC instead of a TC, but DDMWorks does say you can run their SC with a smaller exhaust at some loss of power, IIRC.
    This article - Exhaust Systems for Supercharged and Turbocharged Applications - has this to say about turbo exhaust systems - On the other hand, a turbocharged system does require larger-diameter exhaust piping, which is critical for both engine durability and the production of horsepower and torque. In general terms, a V-8 engine that runs a single turbo in the range of 6 to 15 pounds of boost requires a minimum 3-inch exhaust, while a twin-turbo setup exhaust pipe requires only a 2.5-inch exhaust. As you increase boost, the exhaust pipe diameter needs to increase proportionately. Running an exhaust pipe that is larger than necessary doesn’t hurt, but running a too-small exhaust will be detrimental to both power and the engine’s maximum RPM. A safe rule of thumb is to run turbo exhaust piping in as large a diameter as practically fits in the available space along the chassis. The article is referring to a V8 at higher boost levels than you mention, so, again, you might be OK using the 2" exhaust you already have.
    These Google Searches might help (or just confuse) -
    turbo exhaust size calculator - Google Search

exhaust sizing for boosted motors - Google Search

can I use a 2" exhaust on a 2.4L engine boosted to 5 lbs - Google Search

Exhaust Design – COBB Support

Ideally, email Welter Performance or the manufacturer of the turbo kit, (if possible).

• Joey, for the right price, I'll take that Welter 2 inch setup :D ... Don't think I'll be boosting for awhile... ;(

we should talk.

"Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• I appreciate all the recommendations and help. For the time being I’ll straight pipe it and sell the 2”.

The turbo kit is home built. Will call and chat with Dave about particulars.

But I think I already knew the answer and I’m all for doing things right.

• Simply stated - not recommended!
    You could always put a cut out in line up the front but the thing would be open a lot of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

Any memorial day deals coming up? Repeat customer discount? Adding a new exhaust is going to hurt. :D