Need help - Starter clicking sound question

• I do not know if this questions has been asked but sometimes when starting my Slingshot I get a double click sound when I press the red start button. The battery is charged because I have about 11.5 volts on my volt display. I am able to start it by rolling my Sling back and forward on 5th gear and then I able to start it. Can it be a bad starter? Any other ideas?

• IMHO you may have two issues. First off the battery voltage is too low. You would expect a fully charged battery voltage to be at least 12 volts or more when the engine is not running. The running voltage should be in the 13.2 with a fully functioning alternator. The starter needs a minimum cranking voltage of 9.6 volts to start the engine

All that being said means nothing as you state that it will start after moving the slingshot forward or back while in gear (which turns the engine over slightly). The only thing that does, is it lines up the teeth on the ring of the flywheel in a different position for the teeth of the starter drive to engage. You could have an issue with the flywheel (possibly being warped or worn edges on the teeth), a bad starter drive or just a misalignment of the two and the starter needs to have a shim or two added to correct it. AS strange as this sounds, it could even be that the starter drive stayed engaged into the flywheel the last time you started it (highly unlikely, but possible. So it would have already been engaged into the flywheel, so when you rotated the engine backwards, it released itself. Any one of this issues could be the culprit. You didn't say what year it is and if it's under warranty or not. i would start with fully charging the battery first to eliminate one variable.

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Do you have a digital guard dawg keyless start?
    The numbers FITS stated are accurate.
    I have had this issue in the past. I replaced the starter and that didn't fix it. What I have found is that when the battery gets older it may show good voltage but has lost cranking power. When ever this happens I put the sling on the charger and the issue goes aeay for awhile.
    The keyless system exaggerates this issue in that it will not provide adequate cranking voltage to the the starter if the battery is slightly low. When this occurs I can usually start it by using the key without having to rock it.

• Agree with folks above... that battery voltage is running too low to provide sufficient umpfh to throw the starting gear to engagement.

Voltage that low with no load is a discharged battery.

Get that thing on a charger.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• IMHO you may have two issues. First off the battery voltage is too low. You would expect a fully charged battery voltage to be at least 12 volts or more when the engine is not running. The running voltage should be in the 13.2 with a fully functioning alternator. The starter needs a minimum cranking voltage of 9.6 volts to start the engine

All that being said means nothing as you state that it will start after moving the slingshot forward or back while in gear (which turns the engine over slightly). The only thing that does, is it lines up the teeth on the ring of the flywheel in a different position for the teeth of the starter drive to engage. You could have an issue with the flywheel (possibly being warped or worn edges on the teeth), a bad starter drive or just a misalignment of the two and the starter needs to have a shim or two added to correct it. AS strange as this sounds, it could even be that the starter drive stayed engaged into the flywheel the last time you started it (highly unlikely, but possible. So it would have already been engaged into the flywheel, so when you rotated the engine backwards, it released itself. Any one of this issues could be the culprit. You didn't say what year it is and if it's under warranty or not. i would start with fully charging the battery first to eliminate one variable.

Its a 2015 and out of warranty. Today it started with no issues. I notice if I do not start it for three days or more it does the clicking sound and won't start. Rocking it back and forward does the trick. I will get under the Sling and check for any loose starter wires. Thanks.

• Its a 2015 and out of warranty. Today it started with no issues. I notice if I do not start it for three days or more it does the clicking sound and won't start. Rocking it back and forward does the trick. I will get under the Sling and check for any loose starter wires. Thanks.

Check the battery connections. If this is the battery that the SS was bought with, it is at the end of it's service life even with everything being perfect. I just replaced mine (build date Dec. 2014) with no problems because I did not want any supprise this summer.

• looks like im a victim of the clicking starter issue. Bike starts when it wants. Battery voltage is 12.56 at the alternator. Starter clicks but doesn't turn over.

i have already changed the starter relay in the engine compartment for the horn relay

I have replaced the Starter

I took it to the dealer and after a week of starting everyday it finally did the click the day i went to pick it up and they said they tightened a ground cable to take care of it.

I brought the bike back home and started it every day in the morning and today i left for a ride and did not want to start when leaving the restaurant.

today its back at doing the same thing.

any ideas of what else i may check?