Noisy rear end, bearing problems?

• OK, so I've upgraded so much and need to understand the clicking noice coming from my rear end. I got the AQ1 coilovers. If I push on my belt, it's tight... maybe too tight. Doesn't move much. I think if I raise up the sling in the back a bit, it should loosen the belt a little, no? Clicking just started and I really only hear it when I first start moving in first gear. I ordered a tension gauge, but won't be in until Wednesday. Question is, should I not drive it? Common sense tells me no, but I'm also trying to put some miles on it before we leave for Maggie Valley too. Not sure if there is any other reason for this to start clicking. I've only got 3K miles on it, so who knows.

Thoughts?

:00000436:
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

Did you lower your ride height when you installed the new shocks ...

Any change in rear ride height effects belt tension ...

Lower = tighter

....... nerd-squared

Like this .......

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Yes, same thing, but clicks a handful of times when it does it. I'm not sure if the tension is an issue or not. Was just thinking if I raised it then a little and back off on the tension if it would change it. I had thought the QA1 shocks came already adjusted, but maybe not.

I just don't want to do any permanent damage to the rear. I was scheduled to do a 1.5 hour drive tonight... just not sure if I should cancel, but that fails in comparison to the 16 hours to Maggie Valley.

Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• @Slingrazor, I don't ever remember anyone saying that putting the rear wheel a bit off center was an issue. .25 spacer shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Just looking for any differences / changes

• Check your ride height. It should be about 6.25 inches. On level ground measure from frame tube to ground. The jack points are good places to measure. I don't agree with the factory specs for belt tension. It's too tight! Mine is at least double what they call for and it's never been a problem.

Guess you where replying to a PM in the above post ????

The rear wheel on a reverse trike should be centered between the fronts... anything other is wrong .... do some do it, sure,its still wrong..... but it wouldn't cause this issue, just wonky handling....

Checking your ride height should be the first and last step in any shock install ... they can get them close but it is impossible to pre-set shocks to perfect ride height without fail .... it should also be re-checked and re-set after the shocks settle in .... If you change the rear height your belt WILL need adjusted ....

The sound in the video historically points toward a trashed pulley side bearing .... IMO the main cause is the belt being too tight.... (I agree fully with @BryanL .. set mine to a full 1" cold and unloaded after bearing replacement after testing)
    Doesn't take long .... mine failed at 1200 miles on a factory set belt .... too tight a belt plus the added stress of your turbo testing....well.. if it was me I would be checking the belt before riding again ..

Do you have a 10lb weight or a fish scale around the house ? You can measure the belt tension by hanging a weight from the belt just as effectively as using a belt tension gauge .. same same ....

... nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• So if ride height affects belt tension how does the vendor who sells adjustable air shocks get around this problem of ride height vs belt tension?

Most people have a predetermined height they drive at which is what they set the tension for, raising it for getting over bumps won't hurt anything and lowering when parked and not in motion won't either.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Thanks all, will check later. I didn’t take it tonight on our outing. Too close to MV to risk it.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

• wow... did you know that the actual published belt specification is a .4 deflection? I think someone said .6... interesting. Be interesting to see what the belt is now... Going out to change some settings

Edited once, last by SaltyClownNY ().

• Got to love the fact that Polaris doesn't put the ride hight in the manual as they don't want it changed. Quick question... if I'm running 1" larger OD tires on mine, is it better to lower the thing 1/2 inch to stock 6.25 or to keep the extra at 6.75? This may be purely based on what you like... just didn't know if there was a technical reason either way. I don't see one either way... thoughts?

• Just thought about the wheels tilting a bit. Maybe leave them at 6.75 for now. Need to find someone who does wheel alignments... I'm sure that's going to be problematic LOL.

• Just thought about the wheels tilting a bit. Maybe leave them at 6.75 for now. Need to find someone who does wheel alignments... I'm sure that's going to be problematic LOL.

There are a lot of Slingshot owners out there that do not want to spend the money for the laser alignments even my buddy and a gentleman in Flordia. They think everything is good until miles down the road they start to see the problem /wear on the front tires just because they do not want to spend the money. I had mine done as soon as the True Trak came out and the dealer had tried to correct the problem with the 2 x 4 and the level and just made it worse. The difference was night and day. Then after I took the little 180 turn in the air and the dealer that did the repairs also had the alignment screwed up. My dealer in South Carolina did their first laser alignment, they did not even know what was in the boxes until I told them. They nailed it. The moral of this post is, IF YOU HAVE NOT HAD YOUR SLINGSHOT LASER ALIGNED, DO IT. Just my 2 cent

• @FunCycle, so if I look for a shop that has a "True Trak" system, should be good. If you don't mind me asking, how much does it cost? They need a vendor with a portable system down at Maggie Valley!

• Had laser alignments at Maggie Valley last year.
    Scott @xd675xSport Rider Inc. is located in Altoona, WI. Shop our large online inventory.
    was running them out of the Alpha tent but haven't seen much action from Scott on the forum in a while.

Can't find the vendors list for SSITS 2018 so don't know if he will make it this year...

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Quick question... if I'm running 1" larger OD tires on mine, is it better to lower the thing 1/2 inch to stock 6.25 or to keep the extra at 6.75?

Leave it at 6.75 is my thoughts. You have raised the height by 1/2 inch, but all the suspension and working components are still functioning the same. If you lower it, that will reduce the amount of travel, and actually not be the way it was intended to work from the factory. The QA1's should have been factory height set when you got them. I know my front shocks were 1/4 inch shorter for one of them, and over 1/2 inch shorter for the other one, than the QA1's were. I think my stock ones were getting weak and failing.

• There are a lot of Slingshot owners out there that do not want to spend the money for the laser alignments even my buddy and a gentleman in Flordia. They think everything is good until miles down the road they start to see the problem /wear on the front tires just because they do not want to spend the money. I had mine done as soon as the True Trak came out and the dealer had tried to correct the problem with the 2 x 4 and the level and just made it worse. The difference was night and day. Then after I took the little 180 turn in the air and the dealer that did the repairs also had the alignment screwed up. My dealer in South Carolina did their first laser alignment, they did not even know what was in the boxes until I told them. They nailed it. The moral of this post is, IF YOU HAVE NOT HAD YOUR SLINGSHOT LASER ALIGNED, DO IT. Just my 2 cent

@FunCycle I couldn't agree with you more!! For the first 3 months I dove my sling it kept had this "hunting" feeling. Wanting to go left then go right ...the steering was stupid sensitive and if you hit a bump in the road and just so happen to not have your hand on the wheel...oh boy!

I took it to Reggie at TricLED here is Florida and he laser aligned it....best 100 bucks I ever spent. What a night and day difference. Now it steers like a dream. If you haven't had it done....DO IT! I promise you will not be disappointed.

SSREAPER

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS: