Road Trip - Central California to Whistler BC Canada

• I’m looking for some ideas: I’m planning a SS road trip in mid-to-late June to visit my Daughter and her Fiance in Whistler, BC Canada.I thought my trip might benefit from the collective wisdom of my fellow Slingshot-ers!

The most direct distance is a bit over 1,000 miles (each way) so I’m planning on two full driving days to get there, stay ~ 4 days & return. I’ve driven to Whistler before going the fastest route: Interstate 5 all the way to the Canadian border. While some of the scenery on the way is nice, all freeway driving can be a bit monotonous.
    I’m leaving from central California (south of Sacramento) and figure to stop overnight somewhere in northern Oregon or southern Washington (an approximate half way point). Motels TBD, hopefully something SS friendly where I can keep an eye on the SS from my room.

I’m looking for suggestions on points of interest, or more scenic routes to take. Routes don’t have to be the same going as coming back.I know this will add miles & time to the trip, but what the heck, isn’t an entertaining drive the point of taking a road trip in the SS to begin with?

Option A: I’ve considered following Hwy 101 up the coast of CA, OR and WA. Looks like at some point in WA I’ll need to head towards Seattle to join Hwy 5 then cross over to Canada. (Suspect the coastal route may be cooler/windier than the inland route).

Option B: Go through Reno Nevada, then Hwy 395 north to 139/39 to Klamath Falls WA, Hwy 97 to 82 to 90 towards Seattle, then Hwy 5 to Canada

Option C: ???

Also: State Helmet Laws. I would like to take my helmet off from time to time when driving at lower speeds, but also want to avoid a ticket. Can anyone advise on the MC helmet laws in Oregon, Washington, and BC Canada? (I thought I saw a forum post showing Helmet laws by state, but I could not locate it).

Thanks all, this Forum is great ! :)

• In BC our Slingshots are registered as 3-wheeled cars and a helmet is not required (in my experience and to the best of my knowledge).

But individual officers may not be familiar with Slingshots (we don't have that many here)... and when I called my local police they had no idea and referred me to Google. ?(

• 101 up the coast of Washington is not that exciting quite frankly as much of it is inland. I'd avoid I-5 through Tacoma and Seattle. Maybe take the exit off I-5 to Hwy 167 near Puyallup and then I-405 until it joins I-5 again.

I get different stories on Washington's helmet law - I just went ahead and wore it when I was home last year. Will call the State Patrol when I get there this year.

Enjoy the ride!

• I would suggest that you do 101 on the return for 2 reasons:

1. You will not be as pressed for time since you know how far to go and when you want to get home.

2. By going south on the PCH, the ocean is always on your right which makes it easy to pull off when you want to check the view!

I have driven it from Seattle to San Diego and if you could just eliminate LA it would be much more enjoyable!

:HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS::SILVERSS:My paint is fast, TURBO Silver!

• On the return trip drive the Pacific Coast Highway! 101 in Oregon and northern California is beautiful.

Thanks All, great suggestions. Like the idea of 101 on the way home so the ocean is on the right :-)

If you do this, that bridge crossing the Columbia River at Astoria is a lot of fun. You will find that the northwest corner of Oregon is quite congested, but the further south you come, both traffic and people decrease, in fact, you may find you have some of the beaches to yourself down here in the southwest corner. Bandon is a good place to check out with lots of lil shops, (a couple with free snack and candy samples), and a cheese factory, (w/free samples.) Further down make sure to take some extra time to detour off to some of the side roads through the Redwoods, you will not be disappointed. Something to keep in mind is that the warmer it gets inland, the cooler, windier and foggier the coast becomes, I am saying this because that cool and damp has a tendency to drive right through you so plan on dressing accordingly.

If you are in to taking an extra day the Oregon Caves National Monument can be a nice detour with fun twisty roads, beautiful scenery, and the different adventure of exploring the caves.

Enjoy!

Bill
    Grants Pass, Oregon

• Thanks wjfyfe for the detailed suggestions, I've added these ideas to my trip planning

Thanks SlingLow for the helmet tip for Washington

Next stop before my trip: the tire shop for my new Nitto 555 on the back end! (time to retire the Kenda, after I get a few more donuts out of it)