Drive Belt, FYI, What it should not do back there!

• Wow. Our dealer, Owen Motorsports, in Charleston IL, is fantastic. Adam is he service manager, Holly always calls me back and Jeremee is the tech who knows more than a Polaris engineer!!

I can call and talk to jeremee, explain the issue then that gets translated to Adam who then works with me to get parts ordered then I drive 3 hours for my appointment. Always awesome service!!!
      AKA Jim Camp 8)
    • War Hoop wrote:

Bigdog wrote:

My dealer has a sign saying all vehicles must be dropped off...no waiting for service....meaning you just can’t drive in and get something fixed.....mine spent more time outside their garage (days) than inside...

Kinda makes you wonder why?
      Not enough people that know what to Do?
      Something To Hide?
      Can’t predict how much time it will take to make the repairs.....
      no inventory of spare parts so they wait for them all to come from Polaris...
      My dealer will let you make an appointment but they keep a lock on the mechanic doors, they don't want anybody back there for any reason. You deal with the service person only.
      I have an issue with that because the problem doesn’t usually get communicated to the actual mechanic properly and then you get it back without the problem being fixed. You tell it to the no nothing service guy and he writes down his translation of the problem and he usually isn’t even close to what’s really going on.
    • Bigdog wrote:

War Hoop wrote:

Bigdog wrote:

My dealer has a sign saying all vehicles must be dropped off...no waiting for service....meaning you just can’t drive in and get something fixed.....mine spent more time outside their garage (days) than inside...

Kinda makes you wonder why?
      Not enough people that know what to Do?
      Something To Hide?
      Can’t predict how much time it will take to make the repairs.....
      no inventory of spare parts so they wait for them all to come from Polaris...
      My dealer will let you make an appointment but they keep a lock on the mechanic doors, they don't want anybody back there for any reason. You deal with the service person only.
      I have an issue with that because the problem doesn’t usually get communicated to the actual mechanic properly and then you get it back without the problem being fixed. You tell it to the no nothing service guy and he writes down his translation of the problem and he usually isn’t even close to what’s really going on.
      Call them up and ask to speak to the tech on the phone. I have been able to communicate directly with the tech that way if he is busy when I drop off my machine. I understand not interrupting him for every drop off. My dealer only has one Slingshot tech and he keeps very busy.
      The only thing constant is change.
    • Not sure how much I can contribute here, but here I go.

My angle drive crapped on itself a while ago. Sounded like I had gravel in the transmission. Sounded like I had no wheels, and was being dragged. Took 2 freakin' months to get a replacement, during perfect riding season. Still sore 'bout that.

As it was 'splained to me, when the angle drive shits its pants, it throws off the geometry of the whole rear end - causing other problems. Angle drive repair included a new belt (which was started to get chewed up), new sprocket (I think), new swing arm bearings - which also includes the axle. Maybe some other stuff.

All good now, and I didn't have to overnight my baby at anytime. Was told to drive the snot out of it anyway, which I did - just not far from home...

A good dealer is priceless, and can fix the OP's problem. Hope still under warranty. These kinds of problems can get really spendy really fast.
    • Bigdog wrote:

Kinda makes you wonder why? No, it does not!
      Not enough people that know what to Do? I doubt that!
      Something To Hide? I doubt that!
      Can’t predict how much time it will take to make the repairs.....Depending on the diagnosis tis could be true, we just left our Jetta for a week at a very reputable shop so they could track down a mysterious issue..
      no inventory of spare parts so they wait for them all to come from Polaris...No dealer of any vehicle carries every part, just not realistic...........

Having had worked as a mechanic in my younger years I can fully understand why a service department would try to keep some folks out................

Bill

The post was edited 1 time, last by wjfyfe ().

• ethermion wrote:

Not sure how much I can contribute here, but here I go.

My angle drive crapped on itself a while ago. Sounded like I had gravel in the transmission. Sounded like I had no wheels, and was being dragged. Took 2 freakin' months to get a replacement, during perfect riding season. Still sore 'bout that.

As it was 'splained to me, when the angle drive shits its pants, it throws off the geometry of the whole rear end - causing other problems. Angle drive repair included a new belt (which was started to get chewed up), new sprocket (I think), new swing arm bearings - which also includes the axle. Maybe some other stuff.

All good now, and I didn't have to overnight my baby at anytime. Was told to drive the snot out of it anyway, which I did - just not far from home...

A good dealer is priceless, and can fix the OP's problem. Hope still under warranty. These kinds of problems can get really spendy really fast.
      I would have ordered the part from a online Polaris parts place...gave it to the dealer to install and let them keep the new one when it comes....surely should have saved at least a month...of riding..

Slingshotinfo.com is not affiliated with Polaris Industries the makers of Polaris Slingshot in any way.