My new wheels came in, and the back tire is not as wide as stock even though I was told it would be. Not sure if it's a battle I want to fight...

• Hey TravAZ I wont say that there is any 1 benefit that applies to all asymmetrical tires and its not even easy to compare between manufactures because they all do their own testing and for all practical purposes set their own standards. So to answer your question I will only address Nitto tires that they classify as "passenger car" tires that they rate as "ultra high performance" . In this classification they have 6 tires, 2 of which are symmetrical, the NT555 and the NT555 G2 and 4 of which are asymmetrical the Motivo, Neogen, NT450 & Invo. on their site they give the results of their testing for each of these tires for both their dry traction and their wet traction. the scale for each goes from 0 to 5 bars and the results of their testing of their ultra high performance tires is as follows:

Motivo: Dry Traction 4.0, Wet Traction 5.0 combined score 9

Invo: Dry Traction 4.0 Wet Traction 4.0 combined score 8

NT555 G2 Dry Traction 4.5 Wet Traction 4.5 combined score 9

NT555 Dry Traction 3.5 Wet traction 3.5 combined score 7

Neogen Dry Traction 3.5 Wet Traction 4.0 combined score 7.5

NT450 Dry Traction 3.5 Wet Traction 3.5 combined score 7

As you can see there is no standard where asymmetrical tires or symmetrical tires by this manufacture are always better in wet or dry traction. the two highest scoring tires are the NT555 G2 and the Motivo with both having a combined score for wet and dry traction of 9. the NT555 G2 a symmetrical tire is balanced with both wet and dry being equal at 4.5 each. The Motivo on the other hand seems to trade a little dry traction dropping to 4.0 behind the 555 G2' 4.5 to get its perfect score of 5.0 for wet traction

So judging by the numbers provided by Nitto in the case of their ultra high performance tires the asymmetrical Motive has 1 benefit over all of their symmetrical ultra high performance tires and that would be better wet traction

When I needed a new rear tire I chose to go with Nitto. I did so because their NT555 G2 seems to be very highly regarded here on slingshotinfo and at first the 555 G2 was the tire I thought I would get. Before actually just blindly buying that one tire I decided it would be wise to do a little research and I also figured that if I stayed within the Nitto line of tires their testing methodology would most likely be the same across their ultra high performance line of tires and that the numbers would all be on the same scale making my research more likely to tell me the real differences between the tires which might not be possible if I were comparing tires from different manufactures.

So in the end do to my specific application of my Slingshot being my daily driver I made the choice to trade a bit of my dry traction in order to get the best wet traction offered in a Nitto ultra high performance tire

is the better wet traction a function of the tire being asymmetrical? I dont have a clue, all I know is that in the tire options from Nitto they say it has the best wet traction they offer in a high performance tire

could some other company make a symmetrical tire that would give me better wet traction and at least equal dry traction? I dont know and considering the fact that they all set their own standards and do their own testing I don't know if it is even possible to tell by doing online research.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Edited 3 times, last by Edward Neal ().

• So, in other words TravAZ and WingShot prefer not to operate with an asymmetrical tire on the rear where Edwardaneal believes he has good reasoning for doing so, that is OK, isn't it?

Bill

works for me - but then again I am one of the few people crazy who would think it was a good idea to give away my car and make the slingshot a daily driver :S

but that was before I quit drinking

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Looks like you have done your homework! :)

Bill

• It doesn’t matter to me what tires you run. I was just adding my thoughts to add for thought. When I was talking about a possible push while hydroplaning at that point your tire has lost traction and the water channels are not the same on each side of tire. I run the Nitto as well and like them. The numbers they put out are for cars with four wheels. There probably isn’t a tire company engineer that would recommend asymmetric for a slingshot rear in writing. I would say most slings are running around with the rear skew being off and don’t know the difference, so this entire thread doesn’t really matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• He's just told me the problem: "That wheel only comes 20x10 rear if thats what you were referring to. But it still has 305 wide tire on it. They dont build that wheel in an 11" version"

Why didn't he tell me that when I ordered them from him. I would have picked different wheels then. Sigh.

What about going to a 12 inch wide wheel? Then that would help make the tire look slightly wider

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app