My new wheels came in, and the back tire is not as wide as stock even though I was told it would be. Not sure if it's a battle I want to fight...

• What kind of difference is it going to make having a less wide tire on the back?

It was a disappointment after being assured that the new wheels would match the stock in width. I bumped the fronts up to 20s and they look fine. But I'm disappointed in the looks of the less wide back tire.

Gotta pick my battles. Not sure if this one will be worth it.

More the you buy, the more your trouble!

• I do like the looks of the wider tire much better. Just out of curiosity what size are the 2 tires?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• 305 30 20

The company is telling me it is the exact same size tire.

I have asked him, then what's the problem, what happened that it's not the same width. He knew when I ordered the rims that I wanted the widths to stay the same.

• 305 30 20

I have asked him, then what's the problem, what happened that it's not the same width. He knew when I ordered the rims that I wanted the widths to stay the same.

I am confused. I am assuming that your stock tire was/is a 305 / 30R 20 and that you decided to change your rim size - you say you bumped the fronts to 20's did you also increase the rear rim size and what size tire did they send you for it. there is a tire size comparison calculator here tire size where you can enter the 2 sizes to see how close they are

• 305 30 20

WOW Sounds like somebody doesn’t know much about tires....referring to the “salesman”

another thought - perhaps they thought all three tires needed to be the same - - by any chance did they send you the same size for the back as what they sent for the front? I could see a tire place that was not familiar with the slingshot thinking it should be a matched set of three

• I am confused. I am assuming that your stock tire was/is a 305 / 30R 20 and that you decided to change your rim size - you say you bumped the fronts to 20's did you also increase the rear rim size and what size tire did they send you for it. there is a tire size comparison calculator here tire size where you can enter the 2 sizes to see how close they are

I didn't change anything about the back, just the front.

Stock fronts I am told are 18. I bumped them up to 20. They look fine.

Rear I left the same.

• I didn't change anything about the back, just the front.
    Stock fronts I am told are 18. I bumped them up to 20. They look fine.

Rear I left the same.

well then they should have sent you a 11 inch wide 20 inch rim and the tire size should be the 305/ 30r 20. To me the biggest problem here will be if the the rim they sent you isnt the same size - getting another 305 tire is easy, but if it wont fit on the rim they sent you then thats a big problem

• So...based on the photo...the new wheels and tires are the ones in the photo that are wider than the rear? Depending on brand of tire, the footprint can be wider even though they are the same size. I ran in to an issue with that on my Firestones. The Stock Kenda had a wider footprint than the Firestone, even though they were both the same size. Also looks like you have an asymmetrical tire on the rear...why not just get another tire for the rear that matches the new fronts? If they are all the same size, there won't be any issues.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• He's just told me the problem: "That wheel only comes 20x10 rear if thats what you were referring to. But it still has 305 wide tire on it. They dont build that wheel in an 11" version"

Why didn't he tell me that when I ordered them from him. I would have picked different wheels then. Sigh.

• So...based on the photo...the new wheels and tires are the ones in the photo that are wider than the rear? Depending on brand of tire, the footprint can be wider even though they are the same size. I ran in to an issue with that on my Firestones. The Stock Kenda had a wider footprint than the Firestone, even though they were both the same size. Also looks like you have an asymmetrical tire on the rear...why not just get another tire for the rear that matches the new fronts? If they are all the same size, there won't be any issues.

No, the new wheels/tires are on the sling already. The wheel in the foreground is my stock one. Wider.

• I had a long reply typed out for this, and when I hit return, didn't have an internet signal and it didn't go thru. It did come back, but most of the things I said have been said here since. That being said....

I agree with @Br4hm4 on the varying sizes for both width and height. Most are within 1/4 inch, but I have found a few as much as nearly 1/2 inch difference between different tire brands. Also, the Kendas that came off are a more squared off shoulder, whereas most tires have a more rounded edge. That makes them have less contact patch with the road, and also look more narrow.

• He's just told me the problem: "That wheel only comes 20x10 rear if thats what you were referring to. But it still has 305 wide tire on it. They dont build that wheel in an 11" version"

Why didn't he tell me that when I ordered them from him. I would have picked different wheels then. Sigh.

most charts I can find say the max tire width for a 10 inch rim should be a 285, but if the tire they sent you on it is a 305 then I guess it will fit so why not get the original tire put on the new rim

• No, the new wheels/tires are on the sling already. The wheel in the foreground is my stock one. Wider.

I wouldn't worry too much about it right now since you already have them and they are on the slingshot. Besides, if you're like the rest of us, you'll be replacing that tire during your next oil change anyway

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• I wouldn't worry too much about it right now since you already have them and they are on the slingshot. Besides, if you're like the rest of us, you'll be replacing that tire during your next oil change anyway

But the company told me the tire on the new rim is the exact same size as my stock. It's the rim that is smaller.

So I cannot put a tire on there that will be as wide as my stock.

Or am I misunderstanding something?

• But the company told me the tire on the new rim is the exact same size as my stock. It's the rim that is smaller.
    So I cannot put a tire on there that will be as wide as my stock.

Or am I misunderstanding something?

when you look at the new tire does it say 305 / 30R 20 ?

if it does then your stock tire should also fit on the rim

the bad thing is that on a 10 inch rim you will never be able to go wider than a 305 thats pretty much maxed out for that rim

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• Not sure if this will help but i beleieve it is what @Br4hm4 was explaining that while technically the same size tire - where the rubber meets the road (footprint) is different - the squaredness or roundness that @Goats_Hogs was referring to ... 10" vs 11" in this case. Should you return them because it isn't what you want - that's up to you but it sounds like you should get what you wanted

• when you look at the new tire does it say 305 / 30R 20 ?
    if it does then your stock tire should also fit on the rim

The new tire is 305 30 20 (I am not looking at it right now, but that's what he told me).

Same size as stock, right?

So I am in the dark about all this stuff. Trying to learn. Please be patient with me :)

The stock rim is 11". The new one is 10".

If the new tire is the same size as the old, why would putting the old on make a difference?

Doesn't the smaller rim size have bearing?

• Not sure if this will help but i beleieve it is what @Br4hm4 was explaining that while technically the same size tire - where the rubber meets the road (footprint) is different ..... 10" vs 11" in this case. Should you return them because it isn't what you want - that's up to you but it sounds like you should get what you wanted

I agree, a 10 inch rim will pull in the sidewalls more than an 11 inch rim causing the tire footprint to be narrower and on the slingshot with its limited traction in the rear you want that footprint to be as wide as possible.

The biggest problem as I see it is that the rim is not made in 11 inch which would mean all three would have to be returned and exchanges for a different style that does come in 11 inch ( or even wider)

• Not sure if this will help but i beleieve it is what @Br4hm4 was explaining that while technically the same size tire - where the rubber meets the road (footprint) is different ..... 10" vs 11" in this case. Should you return them because it isn't what you want - that's up to you but it sounds like you should get what you wanted

Yes, the problem is the rim size difference.

As I mentioned, this guy should have told me the rear rim would be smaller than stock. He just assured me I would "have the same tire size." That's leaving some crucial detail out....

It does tick me off, especially because I specifically told him the SLR has a WIDER rear tire than the base models, and I wanted the tire the same width. I mean duh, that would include it looking the same width when mounted....

If he knew what he was doing, he would have understood and told me that because the rear rim doesn't come in 11" as the stock one does, the tire would not look as wide.

So I just don't think this is a battle I want to wage. The wheels are on, they are custom, they happen to look great, and the only glitch is that back width.

As long as performance doesn't change or suffer, I guess I will live with it. There are other battles to fight.