Sound levels in the cockpit

• Loving me some Sling. Not so much the noise.

On the ride from NM to Tennessee I thought it was a little loud. And the drone at 80 was a little much as well.

Miss Nancy says it isn’t bad to her ear.

Well, I hauled out my trusty SLM this afternoon to see just how loud it is.

My exhaust is an Uptone (one of the original 25 produced). It dumps to the ground right in front of the passenger.

Idle is about 95 dB.
    Cruise at 50-60 is about 100.
    Full throttle measured out at 104 to 105 dB.

No wonder my ears were ringing at the end of the day. Gotta do something about this. Wonder how much good running the exhaust pipe out the side would do. Or should I just scrap it and go with a Welter rear exhaust?

Lookin’ for ideas gang!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• Interesting, I have never measured the sound levels in my sling. I do have an app for that on my phone so I think I will see what it says on my way home in a few minutes. My sling has the stock exhaust so I am interested to see how that compares to your numbers. I think I will just put the phone in its mount on the windshield support. Just out of curiosity where did you have your SLM?

As a side note I use a 1/2 helmet most of the time and have never been bothered by the sound - can even hear the radio most of the time unless I am on the freeway

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I wear ear plugs all the time...

Good news....Slingmods is having a welter exhaust sale.....buy any welter exhaust and get a 1320 manifold FREE....

• You will be very happy with the Welter exhaust and @Jeff Welter and family are great to work with.

• @pricejh61, I had the 2nd or 3rd Uptone sold. After my 11 hour ride from NW AR to Maggie Valley 2 years ago I couldn't understand what anyone was saying.
    Went over to the Alpha tent first thing the next morning and had them put on a side exit. MUCH better. But it self destructed before I could get to MV the next year. Traded in the 15 while in MV and I now have the Welter Stealth on my 17. LOVE it!!! My wife had the Alpha on hers. It self destructed going from here to Kerrville. She now has a Welter Stealth also. Much, much better!

• Interesting, I have never measured the sound levels in my sling. I do have an app for that on my phone so I think I will see what it says on my way home in a few minutes. My sling has the stock exhaust so I am interested to see how that compares to your numbers. I think I will just put the phone in its mount on the windshield support. Just out of curiosity where did you have your SLM?

As a side note I use a 1/2 helmet most of the time and have never been bothered by the sound - can even hear the radio most of the time unless I am on the freeway

The measurements were taken from the passenger side. I’m too busy to read the SLM while I’m driving.

I’m using two SLM apps on my iPhone. Both are close to each other. I compared them to a professional SLM at work a while back and they were within 2dB of the standard. So, I think it is pretty accurate.

John
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

SOG supporter

• I also had one of the first uptones...too noisy for me. I tried several different baffles and extensions with no luck. The sound was also not just loud but harsh. I played with a few different exhausts and eventually wound up with the Alpha adjustable which has served me well (this was before Welter). Welter appears to be the top of the line now and I wouldn't hesitate to go that route if I still had the uptone.

• so - on my way home with the SLM (phone) this is what I got:

Idle - 68 to 73 db

cruising at 50 around 82db plus or minus 2 probably more to do with the sound of traffic around me than sound of my exhaust

under full throttle it hit 97 db

Like I said before this is stock exhaust and no roof - I would think that with a roof the sound would resonate and make the numbers much higher

as to suggestions to reduce your sound levels I would think your best option would be to go with one of the Welter options that exit at the rear

N

• 95 dB at idle in the driveway.

John
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

SOG supporter

• I am not familiar with the uptone system, in fact this thread is the first I have heard of it, but that said you are hitting more than 20db higher than what I am getting with the stock system at idle in my driveway - thats a fair bit louder

question - does that sling of yours have a hard top?

• Do not do anything until you check the sound level of @Summer Breeze at Maggie Valley. He has made some mods to the Welter Outsider. I rode behind him this morning could not even hear the exhaust, what a difference. He will get to Maggie on Thurs.

• @pricejh61, this may be a little low-tech, but if you like the sound but just not the decibels, I wear a set of foam earplugs when I drive. Cuts the drone of the exhaust and that annoying high pitch part of the wind noise, but still allows me to hear most of what's around me. I have found it saves me from headaches very reliably.

• I am not familiar with the uptone system, in fact this thread is the first I have heard of it, but that said you are hitting more than 20db higher than what I am getting with the stock system at idle in my driveway - thats a fair bit louder

question - does that sling of yours have a hard top?

Yep, it has a Twist Gull Wing top.

The Uptone system was only produced for a short time. I think in 2016. Way before I became interested in Slings.

John
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

SOG supporter

• Do not do anything until you check the sound level of @Summer Breeze at Maggie Valley. He has made some mods to the Welter Outsider. I rode behind him this morning could not even hear the exhaust, what a difference. He will get to Maggie on Thurs.

Thanks. Not planning on any major mods, yet.

John
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

SOG supporter

• Ear plugs

Have them. Use to use them on both the V2K and the Wing. They make it even more difficult to hear my partner. Even with the intercom working.

John
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

SOG supporter

• I took my helmet off for a short ride on the Interstate and WOW, the drone and wind noise is definitely most irritating. I didn't realize just how well our helmets with intercom were doing in keeping the noise down and making it possible to talk normally with each other keeping our rides much more pleasant.
    Bill