Sound levels in the cockpit

• Another plus............My wife told me years ago when I suggested and intercom......"You really don't want to hear what I'm saying"........."Just ride listening to the wind"......."Yes dear"

:SILVERSS::POKESS::00000022::evil::00000021:
    Wears earplugs keeps out all those pesky noises

• I have been using these for years. I actually cut them in half. I use them to sleep. Really helps me fall asleep faster and stay asleep. Girl friend asked me if I heard the storm last night. I said what storm. Cheap enough because they will get dirty or lost.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MnlbnmyPm1k

Keep them away from your dog. They like to eat

them. I keep some in my glove box.

• Have them. Use to use them on both the V2K and the Wing. They make it even more difficult to hear my partner. Even with the intercom working.

@pricejh61, I forget, what intercom system are you using?

I put my Senas on right over the earplugs, and have no problems hearing the intercom. The earplugs are mostly to block the annoying pitches and frequencies, not lower the overall decibels dramatically.

• As you all know California is a helmet State as such I almost always wear my 1/2 helmet. In January of this year I picked up a Bell Vortex full helmet to use when it is really cold or rain is expected and one thing I noticed immediately is that the full helmet resonates the sound of the exhaust turning it into a constant droning that I had never even noticed with my 1/2 helmet

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• @pricejh61, I forget, what intercom system are you using?

I put my Senas on right over the earplugs, and have no problems hearing the intercom. The earplugs are mostly to block the annoying pitches and frequencies, not lower the overall decibels dramatically.

We have an old set of Bluetooth that I got about five years ago. Nancy had a hard time getting the VOX to activate. She speaks too softly. Plus, I think that the earphones aren’t positioned quite right.

I have a Sena S20 in my convertible HJC. Love it. Just got to try it out today. Trying to get the phone to play thru the Sena is occasionally problematic. The SS audio takes command of the phone and I loose connectivity. Think I need to pare the Sena as driver headset then it might feed everything thru the audio and into the Sena. What think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• I have a Sena S20 in my convertible HJC. Love it. Just got to try it out today. Trying to get the phone to play thru the Sena is occasionally problematic. The SS audio takes command of the phone and I loose connectivity. Think I need to pare the Sena as driver headset then it might feed everything thru the audio and into the Sena. What think?

John, we use the Sena SPH-10. Similar operation to yours, I assume. I've run the phone into mine, and Heather has her phone paired to hers, and we use the intercom. Just to make things easier (because I'm lazy and also tech-stupid), we didn't spend a lot of time screwing with getting the radio through the headsets, especially when a couple of tech calls seemed to indicate that we couldn't get the Pandora (which is going from my phone through the Slingshot stock stereo) to go to both headsets at once. So now we have the intercom between us, and the stereo turned up through the speakers.

Sorry, probably not a ton of help....LOL

• Our experience with the Sena intercom, to listen to the radio first the driver, (primary headset), is tuned to the radio and then the passenger headset can be piggy backed. It is either the intercom, or the radio, but not both. Too bad they do not have a system like we have in the airplane where we can listen to the entertainment, but when someone talks the entertainment is automatically muted and the system goes to the communication side. After being quiet for a time the system then automatically goes back to the entertainment.

Bill

• Our experience with the Sena intercom, to listen to the radio first the driver, (primary headset), is tuned to the radio and then the passenger headset can be piggy backed. It is either the intercom, or the radio, but not both. Too bad they do not have a system like we have in the airplane where we can listen to the entertainment, but when someone talks the entertainment is automatically muted and the system goes to the communication side. After being quiet for a time the system then automatically goes back to the entertainment.

Bill

What BIll said. On my Sena, we start sling, activate drivers helmet, then passenger helmet/ Tap intercom once to establish intercom between helmets, then hold intercom button for 1 sec and it diverts sling radio to headsets. You stil get intercom anytime you want by tapping button, then tap again to turn it off and radio returns to both headsets. Each time its turned off, you have to start sequence over.

The trouble with bucket seats is not everyone has the same size 'bucket'.

Bill

I never understood why that auto/bike world didn’t piggyback on the aviation audio panels.

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• I never understood why that auto/bike world didn’t piggyback on the aviation audio panels.

I have been looking at the portable intercom units for planes. They aren't all that expensive and pack a lot of features. That may very well be the route that we go. After this past weekends ride to Panama City Beach and back we are definitely going to do something and sooner than later!

The headsets are where you can spend some coin but it would be worth it to have something you could comfortably wear all day and something that had a good enough noise canceling mike so that your passenger could hear you without all the background noise,

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• I have been looking at the portable intercom units for planes. They aren't all that expensive and pack a lot of features. That may very well be the route that we go. After this past weekends ride to Panama City Beach and back we are definitely going to do something and sooner than later!
    The headsets are where you can spend some coin but it would be worth it to have something you could comfortably wear all day and something that had a good enough noise canceling mike so that your passenger could hear you without all the background noise,

I’m glad I’m not the only crazy pilot that thought about this 8o . Make more use of our expensive aviation headsets. Something like a softcomm or transcom portable unit. I just thought maybe I’d look like an idiot riding around with aviation headsets :00008359:

• @pricejh61 I,M VERY HAPPY TO SAY I JUST BECAME A WELTER DEALER AND GOT @WraithSS a hell of a deal with our grand opening special , If your thinking of going the Welter route or any other as well, I may have a deal for you too !

@kev I have a great offer for you. In exchange for (1) WP Duel exhaust and (1) Large Fin gloss black(do you offer all 3 sizes?) and what ever @Bill Martin wants all free of charge, ;) I will not pull the trigger on my (10) Quad kits at the great price of $0.00 or file any "bait and switch" lawsuits against you. :thumbsup:

• I’m glad I’m not the only crazy pilot that thought about this 8o . Make more use of our expensive aviation headsets. Something like a softcomm or transcom portable unit. I just thought maybe I’d look like an idiot riding around with aviation headsets :00008359:

We all have to be crazy or we wouldn't be pilots to start with. As far as looking like an idiot,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well I really don't care as long as I can hear what I want and don't have to listen to what I don't want to listen to (remember the pilot can block everything out except the nav/com radio!). If I had folks that I rode with on a regular basis I'd go a step further and look at tying in a vhf radio in place of the nav/com to be able to communicate with them on the roll. The next best thing to having radio communications sling to sling would be to use a Zello channel and blue tooth your phone in to the sling radio. A lot of folks are using the sena units but they do not offer the noise canceling capabilities (physically or electronically) that I am looking for.

I mentioned Zello because it is a decent way of communicating with a group or just one other person. If you are not familiar with it check it out. It is a simple app for your phone that allows you to use it like a walkie talkie. When you select a channel and transmit everyone on that channel at that time can all hear you. If you or anyone else would like to try it out I created a channel called "Bama Slings". You can pm me and I'll give you the pass word for the channel or you can give my your user name and I'll send you an invite. Since slings are so few and far between here and the fact that a lot of folks are apprehensive about downloading apps the channel is hardly ever used.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• First time riding without a helmet or headphones on and I noticed the wind whistling. Wanted to break something from how annoying it was. I've got the slingshade and the nascar windscreen. Any ideas besides duct taping the gaps in between the windscreen and the slingshade??