Radio cuts out

• my slingshot is the 2017 base model. I didn't have an OEM system with mine. everything I have in mine currently is what I installed in it. I have to go back to my backup camera system and see what kind of connections it has on it. and of course that is if I want to drop the second monitor and have the back up show on the sony. I use the monitor above the dash because I can leave it on at all times and use it basically as a rearview mirror. watch everyone behind me. see when the cops are following me lol.

I got the system in the mail yesterday. since this weekend is a holiday weekend and have Monday off. I am going to start installing the system.

• quick question for those sony xav-ax 100 guys, @mytoy @dangerdarrell I have never had a radio that had an illumination wire. when reading the manual it says that when connected, it works in conjunction with the headlights. so there isn't really a headlight wiring system for the SS? or do I wire it into the yellow which is the keyed hot wire? or do I add it to the hot all the time red wire? just not sure where I need to connect it at. can someone help me? lol. I mean otherwise I will leave it disconnected but if I do does that mean that the radio wont light up at all?

• Interesting question @Hernandeves5. If I remember correctly, I just hooked up the red power wire and everything lights up. Didn’t use most of the harness that plugs in the back. I used rca’s to the amp and it all works great. Backup camera plugged into switch on the trans and looked easy to hook up but I had Slungtunes hook up the camera at Eureka. I was too busy to see how it connected but just took them a couple minutes after dash was off.

• quick question for those sony xav-ax 100 guys, @mytoy @dangerdarrell I have never had a radio that had an illumination wire. when reading the manual it says that when connected, it works in conjunction with the headlights. so there isn't really a headlight wiring system for the SS? or do I wire it into the yellow which is the keyed hot wire? or do I add it to the hot all the time red wire? just not sure where I need to connect it at. can someone help me? lol. I mean otherwise I will leave it disconnected but if I do does that mean that the radio wont light up at all?

I don't use it on mine, you can dim the screen manually.

Do not resent growing old. Many are denied.... The Privilege :REDSS: :SUPERCHARGERSS: : :HEADERSS: : :COILOVERSS: Wycked hitch

• ok cool. I just wanted to make sure that at night the unit will be lit up so I can see the screen. I didn't want to have to disconnect everything afterwards. thanks for the help guys. I really really appreciate it. I took out the old system last night so now I have all the wires just hanging out the dash right now lol. I will start putting in the new radio tonight. so @mytoy did you find out how much the complete setup would cost with your faceplate and waterproofing ? will it be easy enough to install it after I already have the system installed?

• I just remembered the other question I wanted to ask you experts. has either one of you installed steering wheel controls? I thought I saw on here that someone had done it but couldn't remember who or where. this unit has them so I wanted to see how easy it was. or difficult which I am hoping IS NOT the case lol. Also wanted to let you all know. from not having the OEM stereo in my SS, I actually didn't need the wiring harness that I bought from crutchfield. it is for a 2015 and up slingshot and comes with the 36 pin adapter. well I don't have anything that this will fit so it isn't necessary. so now I have to try and figure out what I am going to do with this or send it back to crutchfield.

• ahhh ok. I have a full size JL Audio amp in mine. its in the cargo space behind the passenger seat. I will be using my cell phone for any GPS activity. was just wondering if it might free up some of the cell phone usage and would be worth doing so? I guess only on a longer trip. which I don't do much of that anyhow.

• ok cool. I just wanted to make sure that at night the unit will be lit up so I can see the screen. I didn't want to have to disconnect everything afterwards. thanks for the help guys. I really really appreciate it. I took out the old system last night so now I have all the wires just hanging out the dash right now lol. I will start putting in the new radio tonight. so @mytoy did you find out how much the complete setup would cost with your faceplate and waterproofing ? will it be easy enough to install it after I already have the system installed?

I should get the price for manufacturing by end of today, the problem is it is not a big production run.

Do not resent growing old. Many are denied.... The Privilege :REDSS: :SUPERCHARGERSS: : :HEADERSS: : :COILOVERSS: Wycked hitch

• ok so I got the sony wired in and its ready for the install. The only problem is that first the wiring harness that crutchfield said I would need, I DID NOT need it. and the faceplate and mounting kit, well that wont work either. you have to completely remove the dash and then fit it like a puzzle. first the side brackets mount to the radio, then you have to screw it down to the slingshot. while the faceplate has to be mounted to the opening. then you lower the dash back into place and HOPE that the two meet. otherwise, you have to raise the dash and do it all over until you get it JUST RIGHT. so after a few tries. I pulled it out and now I am trying to find a new way to mount it. so today I am going to best buy and home depot to see if I can jerry rig something to make it work. Thinking I might be able to so something with some 1/4 " aluminum.

• @Hernandeves5, I thought SlingTunes Mount was pricey and bought a different one. It was just as much trouble as what you are using. After finally getting it installed it worked well for about a week then the Sony seemed to move some. At Eureka I had Shawn (SlingTunes) wire up my backup camera and when he took the dash off the screws into the radio had come out and the unit was just sitting on the wires and insulation. I had him go ahead and put in their mount.
    Have about 1500 miles since that and everything is still sitting perfectly. Could have saved a lot of work and time (=money) if I had just bought their mount to start with.

• @Hernandeves5, I thought SlingTunes Mount was pricey and bought a different one. It was just as much trouble as what you are using. After finally getting it installed it worked well for about a week then the Sony seemed to move some. At Eureka I had Shawn (SlingTunes) wire up my backup camera and when he took the dash off the screws into the radio had come out and the unit was just sitting on the wires and insulation. I had him go ahead and put in their mount.
    Have about 1500 miles since that and everything is still sitting perfectly. Could have saved a lot of work and time (=money) if I had just bought their mount to start with.

SlingTunes products are top notch and Shawn knows his stuff inside and out! He has done the R&D so that he knows his stuff is solid and going to last! I have seen some of the stuff he has had to fix and in my opinion I would rather have it done right the first time...in the long run it saves time and money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk