Thumping noise

• If I start off you can hear a thumping noise coming from the rear undercarriage. It only happens once at every stop and go. I can also put it in reverse and hear the same noise, only once. Can’t see anything when looking but then again all the plastic is hiding everything. Everything shifts fine. It sounds like something was in the storage boxes moving back and forth but they are both empty.

All fluids look good

• My first check would be lug nuts, rear wheel...

My second check would be u-joint and collars...

Year and mileage, new or used?

2017....Almost two months old and 2200 miles. I did look up underneath and didn’t see any leaks. The belt feels tight. I did grab the drive shaft and tried to shake it and it too felt solid but to be honest, I didn’t lift the SS up, I just crawled under. It’s late at night and I have to work.

• Could be something as simple as the bolts in the trans mount loose but I would get it on a lift where I could have a complete look at everything underneath as soon as practical.

Tonight as we were cruising through town in ours Ghost Ryder said "isn't the angle drive noise louder than usual?" I said, nope I just don't have the stereo up as loud as usual! LOL

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• Sleep well.

There is some play in the drive system due to gear mesh as mentioned above. Chock the vehicle wheels and release the emergency brake. Twist the drive shaft back and forth to see if it duplicates your thump.

Being new, it doesn't have any tools stored under the passengers roll bar hump. Yep, some of us use that space for storage. Air pump, tire plugs, etc.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Bet if you get Swee to stop jumping the throttle off the line like an Italian kid jumping on a meatball that's about to roll off the table, maybe your Sling wouldnt be falling apart on you.

But seriously, get the weight off the tires, and tighten everything.

• If I start off you can hear a thumping noise coming from the rear undercarriage. It only happens once at every stop and go. I can also put it in reverse and hear the same noise, only once. Can’t see anything when looking but then again all the plastic is hiding everything. Everything shifts fine. It sounds like something was in the storage boxes moving back and forth but they are both empty.

All fluids look good

How about something underneath one of the seats, (guess why I would suggest this? :whistling: )

Bill

• Best guess...

They didn't bother to do the belt tension check on your 500 mile check up.

Kinda like not downshifting for the first 500 miles of the break in period...

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS: