Brake sensor failure - SERVICE ADVISORY

• I am on my third set, warranty repair

Well.... at least you now know they will cover it out of warranty until 12-31-2020 for everyone with a manufacture date before 11-01-2016 .....

However no mention of a refund for anyone who may have paid to have it done .... just "goodwill" coverage of parts and labor ....

....... wacky-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Like I posted on TDS when I saw this Service Advisory - My sensors installed as the 2017 Sensor Recall solution are starting to trigger the BF light. It appears the sensors only seem to affect the Cruise Control. Anybody know if it's possible to just bypass the sensors w/o screwing up any of the safety nannies?

• I paid for a 2nd set in July, 2017. Polaris denied the claim, but today they are giving me a voucher for Polaris parts, accessories or apparel. They won't refund because the payment was made to a dealer and not to them. I got on this as soon as I saw it this morning.

• Like I posted on TDS when I saw this Service Advisory - My sensors installed as the 2017 Sensor Recall solution are starting to trigger the BF light. It appears the sensors only seem to affect the Cruise Control. Anybody know if it's possible to just bypass the sensors w/o screwing up any of the safety nannies?

Legally no....what will you do if the brakes do fail and you disconnected the warning lights that could have saved you....just saying.

• The Service Advisory clearly states "There is no change in brake function as a result of this failure." The only impact most of us have ever noticed is loss of cruise control functionality, so what is the exact purpose of these sensors?

Doesn't it disable the ABS? Normal break function continues but ABS is unavailable .... at least that's what I thought I knew

• The Service Advisory clearly states "There is no change in brake function as a result of this failure." The only impact most of us have ever noticed is loss of cruise control functionality, so what is the exact purpose of these sensors?

To cancel the cruise control when the brakes are applied ..... that is all that circuit does ....

....... nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Legally no....what will you do if the brakes do fail and you disconnected the warning lights that could have saved you....just saying.

Not really worried about that after having been told by the dealer to go ahead and drive it when they didn't have the sensors when the problem first showed up in late 2016/early 2017. I put several thousand miles on it waiting for the replacement parts and have since put at least 3,000 miles on it since they started failing again.

• When the changed the bad sensors...did they change the brake fluid also?

I assume you were asking me. NO. Polaris wasn't paying for it as part of the recall and I hadn't yet hit 30K miles, so it wasn't due. I now have just over 39000 miles and plan om having the brake fluid and coolant flushed, as well as have the sensors replaced, assuming they are available.
    :D / X(
    I have heard there might be link between dirt in the brake fluid and how the sensors operate (or don't operate).

• When I first heard about the chronic sensor failure I suggested it was because of particles....maybe caused by the brake fluid dissolving the rubber on the washers used on the sensors....or someplace else in the system....surely every sensor manufactured since 2014 can’t still be made with a defect...at least you would think they would have been redesigned.....to eliminated the problem...

Some rubber is easily dissolved by brake fluid. They make rubber o-rings that won’t. They are more expensive....but changing thousands of sensors can’t be cheap.

I still say the failures are due to dissolved rubber. There isn’t much else it can be....many failures happen within a few hundred miles..could the lines be rusting inside? Or dirt in the system during assembly...