mods to improve handling

• there seem to be a million different things one can change on the slingshot to increase the power, but what about improving the handling performance? other than better tires the places like Slingmods seem to offer three things - shocks, sway bars & end links. Are there any other mods that can be made to the slingshot to improve cornering (other than a quad conversion) or are those three things pretty much it?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• there seem to be a million different things one can change on the slingshot to increase the power, but what about improving the handling performance? other than better tires the places like Slingmods seem to offer three things - shocks, sway bars & end links. Are there any other mods that can be made to the slingshot to improve cornering (other than a quad conversion) or are those three things pretty much it?

Pretty much what you said tires, coil overs, and a sway bar.

• Pretty much what you said tires, coil overs, and a sway bar.

thanks - thats what I was thinking, but I wanted to be sure.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Rist Rocket Racing frame stiffner. Which is no longer available, but you can do it yourself if you think it is neceesary.

• Rist Rocket Racing frame stiffner. Which is no longer available, but you can do it yourself if you think it is neceesary.

Great intro for a plug. ;) I have one of these for sale right now. Let me know if anyone wants it, as it doesn't fit with the Alpha Turbo or SC setups. All reasonable offers will be looked at.

Don't forget about brakes.

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• Racing harness as I find you fight the corners to stay upright while turning. Also duct tape for the passenger side and not to tape them in the seat if you know what I mean

Quote from the other seat in a very loud voice. "BUT IT SAYS 10 MILES PER HOUR!!!"
    A very short time after that we had 2 slings in the garage.

• Great intro for a plug. ;) I have one of these for sale right now. Let me know if anyone wants it, as it doesn't fit with the Alpha Turbo or SC setups. All reasonable offers will be looked at.

Don't forget about brakes.

The above photo looks like one of the GEN1 units. The bracing for the radiator and OEM airbox are beefier on the GEN2 versions.
    Strut Bar from Rist Rocket Racing | Polaris Slingshot Forum

Yes @TravAZ I forgot the brakes, but then I have never needed anything but the Hawk 5.0 pads and I do not use them much except at the track. As to the RRR Strut bar, the stock bar may weigh about 1/2 pound the thriple R bar weights a lot more than that. I still have the stock bar and if I had something to weigh it with, I would tell you exactly how much it weighs. It was not made to stiffen the frame. It was made to support the radiator.

• Yes @TravAZ I forgot the brakes, but then I have never needed anything but the Hawk 5.0 pads and I do not use them much except at the track. As to the RRR Strut bar, the stock bar may weigh about 1/2 pound the thriple R bar weights a lot more than that. I still have the stock bar and if I had something to weigh it with, I would tell you exactly how much it weighs. It was not made to stiffen the frame. It was made to support the radiator.

Did you feel like it made a difference?

• @WrongWheelDrive I could not tell you weather or not it made a difference myself. If I could have checked out the before and after within a day or two, I may have been able to feel the diff. I do know that I was picking the front inside tire off of the pavement before I added this stuff according to some people that were following me in the Smokies.

• And one is for sale and ready to be installed. Yay! ;)

I wish I could have installed this on my machine and been able to give feedback on it. I painted to match my SS and put it in, only to find out that the Alpha turbo piping wont install with this piece on. LAME.

This would be good for someone that is NA or has a DDM kit, as the intake doesn't come up in the same space.

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• Both our slings are configured the same with two exceptions. Bieldstien shocks on one and QA1s on the other, and one with the struts braced and one not. The tires, wheels, sway bars are the same on both. Both the wife and I feel the one with the brace is tighter turning in, more responsive.
    I know there are those that say it doesn't help, but we believe it does.

• InBoth our slings are configured the same with two exceptions. Bieldstien shocks on one and QA1s on the other, and one with the struts braced and one not. The tires, wheels, sway bars are the same on both. Both the wife and I feel the one with the brace is tighter turning in, more responsive.

Interesting......

I'm a big proponent for not spending more than you need. Stock shocks but replaced the coils with QA1s and lowered the ride about 1". Modified the stock sway bar to be slightly stiffer and added off the shelf poly bushings. Total cost maybe $150 for all that. The tires were the expensive part for the Nittos. I did add Hawk pads and cross drilled the stock rotors.

During track day I was sure I was not going to be as fast as others. I honest was surprised at how well the low budget build did.

Just be an educated consumer when spending your hard earned cash. Do what your doing and ask the question from those that have purchased before you.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Both our slings are configured the same with two exceptions. Bieldstien shocks on one and QA1s on the other, and one with the struts braced and one not. The tires, wheels, sway bars are the same on both. Both the wife and I feel the one with the brace is tighter turning in, more responsive.

I have no doubts that it helps, I just did not have anything to compare it to and too long between trips to the mountains to compare. I knew that the sway bar made a big difference to me. I did a before and after on a crooked local road.