Seems like it wants to stall

• Hi All,

looking for some advice. I picked up my SS with 4 miles on it last week and put approx 300mi on it since. About 90% of the time when I come to a stop it idles down to about 250 RPM then back up to around 750 RPM where normally idles. It seemed like every demo I drove did the same thing. Is this normal? ?(

• Did not get a chance to see, let alone ride in Slingshot before my ownership... like a lot of us here.

Couple of things...

Some dealers use fuel stabilizer and some don't... most don't keep full tank inventories. Demo rides, fuel questionable? Pretty sure with 300 miles on your ride, you have refueled... minimum 91 octane is suggested... although some of us swap between regular and premium.

And since I haven't experienced your riding style, can't comment...
    When stopping, if rpm drops below idle before disengaging clutch, the engine may stumble/stall.

If you rule out these possibilities... then as others have stated...
    A trip to the dealer as a safety issue will be required.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• I am local to you, and offered some advice, ive been around a few of these and can probably give you some good leads.

Hi WingShot, didn't see anything on this issue. I've fueled her up twice thinking it could be the gas. Sometimes it's fine but most of the time seems to drop down for just a few seconds then it idles normally. It happens with the clutch disengaged. I have been downshifting but that shouldn't matter (I just read today that I need to stop downshifting during the break in period). Other than that it is flawless.

• Please explain what you are doing when you are coasting to the stop. ie: downshifting to each gear, coating down staying in the same gear until you're almost stopped etc. It may just be a matter of a slight change in style of your driving habits that will eliminate what you're experiencing

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Swing on over I’m off north del Prado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could possibly later this evening or tomorrow. I own a commercial Audio/Video/Lighting company so my free time during the week is limited. My wife has a meeting this evening so maybe then.

• Please explain what you are doing when you are coasting to the stop. ie: downshifting to each gear, coating down staying in the same gear until you're almost stopped etc. It may just be a matter of a slight change in style of your driving habits that will eliminate what you're experiencing

depending on my speed I downshift usually till 2nd gear and let the brakes do the rest

• Try leaving it in 3rd 4th or 5th (maybe not fifth) and coast down to like 20-25 then disengage the clutch until you stop. I'd bet that you would not have that stalling feeling. When you downshift the and "back-drag" the engine, the ecu does some odd 'thinking" and tries to make sure it doesn't stall. But IMHO, it does a bad job of that and should have left that out of their ecu tune. Depending on how I ride mine after 30,000 miles, I can get it to act that way, or have a bad rev hang where it wants to flare up to over 2,000 rpm for a couple of seconds between gear shifts. That sure makes it look like the driver can't drive which we all know isn't true. Plus having such low miles, it may even correct itself as you ride it more to break it in

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Try leaving it in 3rd 4th or 5th (maybe not fifth) and coast down to like 20-25 then disengage the clutch until you stop. I'd bet that you would not have that stalling feeling. When you downshift the and "back-drag" the engine, the ecu does some odd 'thinking" and tries to make sure it doesn't stall. But IMHO, it does a bad job of that and should have left that out of their ecu tune. Depending on how I ride mine after 30,000 miles, I can get it to act that way, or have a bad rev hang where it wants to flare up to over 2,000 rpm for a couple of seconds between gear shifts. That sure makes it look like the driver can't drive which we all know isn't true. Plus having such low miles, it may even correct itself as you ride it more to break it in

@funinthesun sounds good I'll give that a try

• Thanks for all the info, as it turns out the way I was down shifting (like I used to do with my cars) was causing this. By using the breaks to come to a stop instead of down shifting to bring me closer to a stop speed 95% of the sluggishness has been corrected. On another note, I found a coolant leak caused by the clamp not being seated properly on the hose from the reservoir to the intake. Looks like someone overlooked that when they assembled it. Hope I don't find any other hidden treasures.

• My 2016.5 yr model would come to a stop and idle low ~550 and raise back up to 750RPM. I'd get a shudder and hated it.

I had my ECU tuned from MeFi burn and the idle is now set at 1Krpm. When it dips now, it hits about 800 and there is no longer a shudder or fear of stalling. For the record, my SS has never stalled from this issue prior to tune.

Aside from the reset idle rpm, the power band has be reshaped and it is a night and day difference. Yet again another mod I kick myself for not doing sooner.

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1