shocks - what are the differences

• I tried Option 1. Realized that college was not for me. Took Option 2 because Option 3 was removed by the Air Force for me...considering me a medical liability. Doing Option 2, I spent time in the sandbox, overseas in Asia, and a few other places all over the US. I did ok for it and yep...I appreciated all the BS I had to endure to get to where I am.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• I tried Option 1. Realized that college was not for me. Took Option 2 because Option 3 was removed by the Air Force for me...considering me a medical liability. Doing Option 2, I spent time in the sandbox, overseas in Asia, and a few other places all over the US. I did ok for it and yep...I appreciated all the BS I had to endure to get to where I am.

Worked your Ass off for what you got and you take care of it, so do I...somehow we as a generation screwed this mentality up with our kids! Mine think they are owed everything and dont take care of anything they have. I blame their MOTHER :thumbsup: ( I can say that because she doesn't read any of this )

SSreaper

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• College was the best two weeks of my life!

hell - - took me longer than that to sober up when I did I realized I was not the college type

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Just had the JRI one way sport shocks installed. My dealer said they have to be filled with air and that’s why they have the valve on them?? Also do they come pre set? I’m not very happy with the “here you go, figure it out” tone I’m getting today from my dealer.

• Just had the JRI one way sport shocks installed. My dealer said they have to be filled with air and that’s why they have the valve on them?? Also do they come pre set? I’m not very happy with the “here you go, figure it out” tone I’m getting today from my dealer.

Please tell your dealer to send me $1,000.00 USD.

That is the schrader valve and the Alpha instructions used to warn DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ADJUST PRESSURE WITH THE SCHRADER VALVE.

The pressure of the shocks is set for performance of the shock there is no need for you to do anything with it. If your dealer tried to do anything let them know they need to buy you a new set of shocks since tampering with it voids the warranty.

• I would like to thank all of those who replied to this thread and shared your knowledge, especially a big thanks to Dave at DDM Works for going into the difference in design and helping me better understand how things work.

Anyway, yesterday I placed my order for the JRI Grand Touring coil overs and thanks to you and some analyzing of how I actually use my slingshot I feel very confident that this will be the right choice

Thank you all - I love this place <3

• I would like to thank all of those who replied to this thread and shared your knowledge, especially a big thanks to Dave at DDM Works for going into the difference in design and helping me better understand how things work.

Anyway, yesterday I placed my order for the JRI Grand Touring coil overs and thanks to you and some analyzing of how I actually use my slingshot I feel very confident that this will be the right choice

Thank you all - I love this place <3

Wish you the best on your new purchase!! I have no doubt your going to love them!!

SSreaper

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• Old thread, but I believe that the information I am seeking is still pertinent, where if such a comparison would be realistic, I am curious of what settings would be used with two way, or three way, adjustable shocks to achieve the equivalent ride quality of the non-adjustable JRI Grand Touring shocks?

Thanks,

Bill

• Old thread, but I believe that the information I am seeking is still pertinent, where if such a comparison would be realistic, I am curious of what settings would be used with two way, or three way, adjustable shocks to achieve the equivalent ride quality of the non-adjustable JRI Grand Touring shocks?

Thanks,

Bill

I am no expert, but I am not sure that it would be possible to make the ride identical to the GT's with a two way adjustable, Sure you can adjust the compression and rebound to be very close, but the spring rates can not be changed without physically replacing the springs. The Springs on the front JRI GT coileovers are pretty soft at 185 - which I believe is a softer spring than what comes on any of the adjustables except for the ones you assemble yourself

Perhaps Dave@DDMWorks could chime in here, I am sure he can tell you where the DDM's coileovers would need to be be set to get as close as possible - Dave really knows this stuff and has been very helpful to me in the past :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Bill

I am no expert, but I am not sure that it would be possible to make the ride identical to the GT's with a two way adjustable, Sure you can adjust the compression and rebound to be very close, but the spring rates can not be changed without physically replacing the springs. The Springs on the front JRI GT coileovers are pretty soft at 185 - which I believe is a softer spring than what comes on any of the adjustables except for the ones you assemble yourself

Perhaps Dave@DDMWorks could chime in here, I am sure he can tell you where the DDM's coileovers would need to be be set to get as close as possible - Dave really knows this stuff and has been very helpful to me in the past :thumbsup:

There are not going to be any settings that I can give for all of the shock options out there to match the JRI GT shocks. With our 3 way and 4 way options though we do give starting suggestions for the adjustments based on driving style. As Edward Neal mentioned the spring rates are going to be different between the different shock options out there and also the damping curves of the shocks will be different also. Going to something like the 2 way shocks would allow you adjustability to maybe match up to the GT shocks and things like the 3 way or even 4 way shocks would really allow adjustability to match up to the damping rates of the GT shocks. Really though the adjustable shocks are there to provide adjustability to get the shocks to match the Slingshot that they are going on, not really match up to a non adjustable setup. Since things like vehicle weight, wheel weight, tire grip, etc all are going to affect how you want your shocks to perform, the adjustability is there get the shocks to match the vehicle setup. The JRI's GT shocks are a nice option if you just want to put something on that is better than the stock setup though, but our 3 way setup can give a better ride, more shock travel, a sportier ride when requested with better after sales support, all at a better price point.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you.

Dave

https://www.ddmworks.com/Polar…rs-by-DDMWorks_p_823.html

• Thanks Edward and Dave, there is a set of JRI Grand Touring shocks on ebay in which I was thinking about bidding on, with thoughts of using them as a second set to install when our QA1s ultimately need rebuilding. Our QA1s have 250# springs on the front and 350# springs on the rear, so if there is a significant difference in ride, then there would not be much of an advantage of doing so.

Bill

• Thanks Edward and Dave, there is a set of JRI Grand Touring shocks on ebay in which I was thinking about bidding on, with thoughts of using them as a second set to install when our QA1s ultimately need rebuilding. Our QA1s have 250# springs on the front and 350# springs on the rear, so if there is a significant difference in ride, then there would not be much of an advantage of doing so.

Bill

my GT's are 185 front 250 rear on the springs - - - 250 and 350 seems to be very stiff

• my GT's are 185 front 250 rear on the springs - - - 250 and 350 seems to be very stiff

Yea, kinda makes you wonder about the original shocks spring rate(s), don't it?

Quote from Dave@DDMWorks

The spring rate doesn't change ride quality nearly as much as the valving of the shocks. Most of the shock setups for the Slingshot run around 225-250# front springs and 300-350# rears. We played with up to 550# springs in the front and the ride quality was still pretty good, the harshness most people feel is due to valving, not spring rates. Another case of that was when we worked to develop the Ohlins setups for the Miata's many moons ago. We had spring rates on that setup that were over 3 times stiffer than stock, but the ride quality was actually better than stock. Shock valving can make or break the ride quality and performance much more than spring rate.

Aftermarket Shocks

Bill

• I guess my memory is not what it was - now that you bring this back I remember when Dave originally posted it - - =O