Farewell To Some Great Ones

• A very dignified First Lady is being buried and remembered today. So long Barbara Bush!
    A Gunny I had great respect for is also being put to rest at Arlington National Cemetery. He was a great promoter of the Marine Corps. Was able to meet him at a Glock promo a couple years ago. I had to wear a Marine T-shirt so he quizzed me. When he shook my hand he had the most kick ass challenge coin in it. I was speechless.

• I had the privilege of seeing the Bush’s in person when I worked at Walmart. Just 3 weeks prior to Mr. Sams death, Present Bush awarded Mr. Sam the Medal of Freedom. I worked on Executive Row at that time and our offices were taken over by the Secret Service for about week beforehand. I got to see Mrs. Bush and she was truly beautiful with gorgeous hair. She was very gracious and kind. Sympathy to the family.

• @sideseatdriver got to meet him in Iraq a few years ago. Somewhere we have the picture. I was pretty jealous when I heard.

It's cool that he's going to be interred in Arlington, but it's odd he got accepted so quickly. I know of an active duty Navy O-5 who died in DC last week, and his family has to wait a whole year before he can be laid to rest. They have to have him in cold storage until then.

• For several years we were lucky enough to have the Gunny as a spokesman for Rugged Ridge. For the first year we built a JK on the show floor called "Kilroy". It was a tribute to the Marine Corp. The Gunny drove it for a year until returned to us. He was a great guy for sure. We will miss him this year.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• That is Awesome Patrick! When browsing over his Wikipedia you can see how many movies he was in. A heck of a bunch.
    I got a personalized autographed Bluray of the 30th Aniversary " Full Metal Jacket ". It came out while I was in the Corps. That movie is legit!

• I went to my uncles funeral at Arlington. He died in June 2016 and the funeral was Dec 1 2016. One of the most humbling days of my life.

My cousin is a Marine and came up to visit when I lived in DC. His only request was that we go to Arlington. We went. He was looking for someone specific, and as I looked at the headstone as I walked by (I gave him some time alone), it was a young Lt - his Platoon Commander in Afghanistan. From a distance, I watched him take a knee, put a hand on the stone, and sob. I don't know what that young officer did, but being a young officer myself at the time, it was the most poignant thing I had seen.

As for the Gunny, he came to Iraq as part of a USO tour. There was a rather long line to meet him that moved very slowly. The reason it was so slow is that he took the time to talk to each person, to get to know each individual, to make each person feel special before he took a picture with us. He was awesome, just from that very short encounter.

• Gunny Ermey was an amazing person and Marine. I had the honor of meeting him on a more personal basis in Okinawa. We were working in the bays when our 1st Sgt walks in and hollers "Get over here Marines, someone wants to meet you." We turned and there was Gunny. He stayed at the shop for about an hour shooting the shit with all of us. I regret that I didn't get a picture with him. RIP Gunny..until Valhalla....Semper Fi brother.

Semper Fi

"Will Work for MODs!"