Need headlight suggestions...

• A year ago I ordered and installed LED headlight offerings from Slingshot only. Was not pleased with them. I finally blew out my first stock bulb and want more/better lighting.

Sling mods has some HD LED lights and still offer DDM HID. Neither have add on option for the US Canadian version conversion.

I have the Canadian conversion on my 2016.5 SS.

Looking for the best of the best available today. Thinking HID this time.

If I could get enough light and pull the center two lights I would gladly do that.

Appreciate the help SS bros and ladies!

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• I, too, have the Slingshotonly Canadian headlight kit on my 2015 Base Slingshot and have been less than impressed with the light output. I also have the 6-piece Slingshotonly LED bulb set and was disappointed in that the headlight housings for the CH units as well as the outer auxiliary headlights had to be drilled out to install the aftermarket LED bulbs. I would have preferred LED bulbs that simply fit properly into the H3 mounts.
    My main complaint about the CH light output is because of the aiming mechanism Polaris chose for the outer headlight brackets making it a PITA to get the CH lights aimed to match the Center headlights while keeping the outer auxiliary headlights properly aimed. AS currently set up, with the outer auxiliary headlights properly aimed, the CH units are basically aimed down at the ground a short distance in front of the Slingshot.
    I'm thinking about trying top use some washers and longer mounting screws (if needed) to shim the CH units to better align their output with the outer auxiliary headlights. It would be nice if I could find some small washers of varying thicknesses to hopefully make it easier to adjust the CH aim-point.
    I'm also wondering if replacing the aftermarket CH units with Polaris CH units might provide better light output since they were actually designed to properly function as dual-beam headlights. I just haven't decided f I want to spend the money to find out if the Polaris units work better.
    Between the 2 options, obviously, using washers to try and shim the CH units to better align and aim them with the outer auxiliary headlights will be significantly cheaper than buying all new replacement headlights.

• I have the "True Canadian" headlight system. Just outside lights, nothing in the center.

I installed the H3 LED lights from Slingmods and have the Alpha LED grill mounted light.

I do a lot of night driving, and this setup gives me lots of lighting. Low beams give me lots of vision and into the ditches well enough, but highs with the grill light and I have more than I know what to do with. I posted pics here somewhere on a similar thread to compair, but I am too tired to find them for you.

However, Coles notes, I get full vision in front of the Sling with reflective surfaces showing up at the 1/2 mile mark

• Sounds great, so I may need to just try that route.
    I forgot to also mention that, while I am pleased with my Center headlights output, I have considered trimming the nose piece to remove the part of it immediately in front of the Center headlights that I feel deflects part of the headlight output.

• Joey, when I installed my rugged ridge LEDs, I pulled the factory lights (which I know you already have), but mine were HID. Not sure how it works, but if you find a set of 4, like the DDM ones, I can give you this set of 2 and you'll have all 6. Now I'm not sure if the lights would all match (lumens and color), but in that case, you could have the center lights one tone, with the outer 4 matching... Just a thought! No charge for the lights... And I still have your angle drive oil... Missed you yesterday in Kerrville! Coming out today?

• I really don't want to risk electrical issues with the draw of 6 HID lights on full time. I am leaning toward LED again, and was hoping new offerings were out there.

Last LED kit I ordered left the rear of the light housing wide open and I have been caught in plenty of rain in the past. I would hate for water to intrude into the housing and fog it up.

I, too, have the Slingshotonly Canadian headlight kit on my 2015 Base Slingshot and have been less than impressed with the light output. I also have the 6-piece Slingshotonly LED bulb set and was disappointed in that the headlight housings for the CH units as well as the outer auxiliary headlights had to be drilled out to install the aftermarket LED bulbs. I would have preferred LED bulbs that simply fit properly into the H3 mounts.

I failed to mention I originally ordered the Slingshot Only Canadian conversion and returned them when I read I had to modify them. They looked cheaply made as well. When I read that Sling mods sourced the factory units, I purchased those and was pleased with their quality and not having to modify them.

You mention the light output of the Canadian lights and having to angle them to better align with the factory set. Question for you... Did you reverse the wiring to them to have them on high beams full time? I noticed the low beam output was very weak. The alignment isn't too off with the set I installed and having the Canadian lights on high beam, they produce better lighting.

"Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• I will talk with Slingmods and see if they can build me a complete kit. I can't add a light bar to my SS without fear of getting a ticket. As it is already, I exceed the number of headlights allowed. Others have been pulled over and or ticketed in TX for running too many lights up front. I guess this state has fear of Aliens?

Joey, when I installed my rugged ridge LEDs, I pulled the factory lights (which I know you already have), but mine were HID. Not sure how it works, but if you find a set of 4, like the DDM ones, I can give you this set of 2 and you'll have all 6. Now I'm not sure if the lights would all match (lumens and color), but in that case, you could have the center lights one tone, with the outer 4 matching... Just a thought! No charge for the lights... And I still have your angle drive oil... Missed you yesterday in Kerrville! Coming out today?

Yeah man, had to work Friday and Abi has a soccer game today just east of Canyon Lake. Besides the weather today looks nasty. I don't even think I'll be able to break away on Sunday to meet up with those leaving. It was a bummer having missed you man. I appreciate the offer for LED left overs... do you know which bulb type it is? We should hook up when you are free... you usually have a more restrictive schedule than I do.

• @2W2X1 If you really want the best/brightest then contact the guys at The Retrofit Source | The Best HID & LED Projector Headlight Upgrades they don't advertise slingshot compatible LED/HID on their website but if you talk to them they can get you the ones you need.

They are the US dealer for Morimoto, I personally have been using them for around 15 years or so and have HIDs /projector conversions that have been working ever since and still going strong with no issues.

I am using LEDs on my slingshot they are much brighter than others(originally had the trickled until they went poof).

They also have Halos and switchbacks if you want to add more lighting shennanegans.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• @2W2X1 If you really want the best/brightest then contact the guys at The Retrofit Source | The Best HID & LED Projector Headlight Upgrades they don't advertise slingshot compatible LED/HID on their website but if you talk to them they can get you the ones you need.

I am using LEDs on my slingshot they are much brighter than others(originally had the trickled until they went poof).

Thanks for the lead on other quality LEDs @Neosolidus. What brand did you end up with from this company? I see they offer different brands.

When you say they can make a set for the SS, did you supply the bulb type and just wire them yourself? Or were they able to pre-wire a set?

I need 2 sets of H3 and a set of H9 to fill my USA/CAN setup.

• Yeah man, had to work Friday and Abi has a soccer game today just east of Canyon Lake. Besides the weather today looks nasty. I don't even think I'll be able to break away on Sunday to meet up with those leaving. It was a bummer having missed you man. I appreciate the offer for LED left overs... do you know which bulb type it is? We should hook up when you are free... you usually have a more restrictive schedule than I do.
    [/quote]

They are HIDs... And yeah, weather isn't too good at the moment, but I'm trying to go back around noon or a bit after.

We should be in the home and somewhat settled by June or July, so thatay be a better time. You can come over and we can have a wrench day... We'll be in touch!

• @MiM When the pool is done you need to bring the fam to come hang and BBQ. We can sneak off for a quick ride while you're here. :D

• I used Morimoto for mine but theretrofitsource carries all brands used on Premium(German++) vehicles lighting so you Amex is the limit when it comes to lighting choices with them. :00008172:

I am very satisfied with my lights, I tend to mostly run on backroads with no street lighting and 150% chance of deer so I needed lighting that would quite literally LIGHT THE F UP, and I did not want light bars or anything that would make my sling look like a jeep......

• @2W2X1 since I used LEDs which consume a lot less than the stock halogens I used the stock wiring, as long as you get H3 and H9 they are basically plug and play, it only gets complicated if you go HID or decide to switch to the D2S size bulb instead of stock sizes.

Shoot them an email saying that you are looking for replacement headlight led bulb and the size(h3 and H9) and they will give you the options, they have plenty of brands from high end OEMs to things that no one in their right mind should pay for, I have always used morimoto since it has such a great warranty 3-5 years.

One thing that I have to warn people though, is that while their products are available to anyone there is an expectation that you are at least familiar with the basics and will do your research.

Far too often people buy HIDs/LEDs without really knowing what they are doing and hook them up inappropriately and then blame the company once something goes wrong and although they have a great warranty, they will not warranty stupidity.

Slingshots are fairly straight forward since they don't need any signal cancelling or error code correction, just get H3 and H9 and they are plug and play.

Remember to look at the video from Noel on SSO about popping the H3 reflectors so they can be of actual use otherwise they are nothing more than glorified fog lights.

• I really don't want to risk electrical issues with the draw of 6 HID lights on full time. I am leaning toward LED again, and was hoping new offerings were out there.

Last LED kit I ordered left the rear of the light housing wide open and I have been caught in plenty of rain in the past. I would hate for water to intrude into the housing and fog it up.

I failed to mention I originally ordered the Slingshot Only Canadian conversion and returned them when I read I had to modify them. They looked cheaply made as well. When I read that Sling mods sourced the factory units, I purchased those and was pleased with their quality and not having to modify them.
    You mention the light output of the Canadian lights and having to angle them to better align with the factory set. Question for you... Did you reverse the wiring to them to have them on high beams full time? I noticed the low beam output was very weak. The alignment isn't too off with the set I installed and having the Canadian lights on high beam, they produce better lighting.

When I ordered the CH units from SSO, they were shipped modifed with the LED bulbs already installed, so I went ahead and drilled the outer auxiliary headlights, but I did contact SSO about getting the screw-on bulb adapters in case I ever want to use a conventionally mounted bulb.
    At the time I bought them (late 2015, IIRC), I don't remember seeing anything about switching the wires, so maybe I should try shimming the CH units and try flipping the wires so they are High beams. Easier and cheaper than switching to the factory Canadian units.
    DDMTuning (DDM Tuning: HID and LED Lighting) offers both HID and LED headlight bulbs as well as projector units. They claim their 35W HID and LED bulbs put out as much light as stock headlight bulbs at reduced current load. The only potential drawback to DDMTuning is they used to drop ship produce from China, adding a slight delay, but I don't know if they still do that or not. They offer quality products with decent warranties.

• When I ordered the CH units from SSO, they were shipped modifed with the LED bulbs already installed, so I went ahead and drilled the outer auxiliary headlights, but I did contact SSO about getting the screw-on bulb adapters in case I ever want to use a conventionally mounted bulb.At the time I bought them (late 2015, IIRC), I don't remember seeing anything about switching the wires, so maybe I should try shimming the CH units and try flipping the wires so they are High beams. Easier and cheaper than switching to the factory Canadian units.
    DDMTuning (DDM Tuning: HID and LED Lighting) offers both HID and LED headlight bulbs as well as projector units. They claim their 35W HID and LED bulbs put out as much light as stock headlight bulbs at reduced current load. The only potential drawback to DDMTuning is they used to drop ship produce from China, adding a slight delay, but I don't know if they still do that or not. They offer quality products with decent warranties.

They have decent prices and their stuff is not too bad(based on rate of failure) and they do warrant their products but the shipping time for purchases as well as replacement are just way beyond what anyone should find acceptable(4+ weeks and up to 8 sometimes) so I stopped recommending them as a budget place to get led/hids.

For the most part I don't buy anything that doesn't get delivered within 7 business days , blame amazon prime for that.

• I really don't want to risk electrical issues with the draw of 6 HID lights on full time...

After doing some research, I found the SlingMods instructions to set the Canadian Headlights to High beam. Anybody know if that trick works for the Slingshotonly setup?

• After doing some research, I found the SlingMods instructions to set the Canadian Headlights to High beam. Anybody know if that trick works for the Slingshotonly setup?

@BKL I simply reversed the wiring. So it is set to high beam on. Flip the yellow and blue wires in the harness for the Canadian lights. They will be bright full time vice running the T10 bulb solo without engaging the high beams or the actual H3 bulb.

Edited once, last by 2W2X1 ().