Bad Belt Noise

• Spent today riding from Las Cruces, NM to Alpine, Tx. No issues during the trip.

This evening we cranked up the SS to go to dinner and there is a loud squeak squeak coming from the belt. At least I hope it is the belt. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• could be some rocks/sand/road debris that stuck to the belt and makes the noise when it hits the sprocket , somewhat common for me when i ride through dusty dirt backroads.

The first time it happened I thought i had the dreaded bad needle bearings.....made it for a scary and annoyed ride home.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Not a problem, you may not even hear it tomorrow.

• Thanks all. We stopped coming back from dinner and blew it out with some air. Little better. Will find a hose tomorrow morning and wash it out good.

John
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

SOG supporter

• You went to White Sands this morning - remember, I warned you about getting that gypsum in the belt & pulleys & recommended you wash that area off as soon as possible... I have never had a belt squeal on that SS & can guarantee that’s the cause.

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• You went to White Sands this morning - remember, I warned you about getting that gypsum in the belt & pulleys & recommended you wash that area off as soon as possible... I have never had a belt squeal on that SS & can guarantee that’s the cause.

we will take good care of him and the nuclear beast sir so you take good care of you and hurry back

That’s what I am thinking.

John
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

SOG supporter

• That’s what I am thinking.

You being originally from this area, you know how dusty it is here. After every ride, I used high pressure air & cleaned the dust out of the belt & pulleys (probably why I never had belt squeal). That belt adjustment is perfect. Now that gypsum from White Sands is a totally different story - it’s bad news for belts/pulleys. Get a hose & wash belt/pulleys (front & rear pulley!) thoroughly, rolling SS a little to get all areas. She should be fine after that. Hope you two have a safe and awesome trip. Start a thread to document it! :thumbup:

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014