THE COMPREHENSIVE TIRE THREAD

• Been reading all the different threads on tires and it is really confusing. I would like to have as much information in one place as possible. So maybe if we set a format for information we can help me and others to make better informed tire choices.

1. Year model of your ride. 2015, 2016, 2016.5, etc

2. Purpose for tire use. Street, racing, both.

3. Tire brand and size.

4. Tire location. Front or rear.

5. Change in tire size, i.e. 225/35R/18 to 225/45R/18

6. Where purchased and prices paid.

7. Any issues with Nanny controls.

8. Anything else I need to include.

Notes.

Maybe if this works well we can pin it so it would not be hard to search, or find.

LC

• I just put new wheels and tires on a 2016.5 base SS last week. After doing research on the site this is what I ended up with:

Original Wheels Tires : 17x7 rims with 205/45r17 front.
    18x9 rim with 265/35r18 rear.

New wheels are: 20x9 front and 20x10.5 rear.

Tires chosen were NITTO 555G2: 255/35r20 front and 315/35r20 rear.
    Tires were purchased and installed by Discount Tire for $629 total. Included stems and balance.

I have no issues with any nanny controls nor did I throw any codes. However I am sure that the speedo is now off and I am planning on getting the ECU reflashed to the SL version when I take the SS to the dealer next week. I have a recall on the brake fluid sensors.

Always be yourself unless you can be Batman.
    Then be Batman!

• I think you are going to get a lot of replies specifically talking about the rear tire more than the fronts since the fronts seem to last longer.

I think you are correct @Br4hm4 that the rear will be the most replaced tire of the three. @Blaze thanks for the post, I went to Discount Tire yesterday to get some ideas. The kid that helped me could not quite grasp the idea of keeping the tire similar in amount of rolling distance front to rear for the Nanny controls. I buy a lot of tires at Discount, just got the new guy and went away more confused.

What I want to do is get the tallest side walls I can on the SlingShot for more comfort. At 70 my racing days are behind me. Between the wife and I we have had 4 back and 1 neck surgery in last last couple years so we are trying to soften the ride as much as we can.

We are in a 2017 SL so we are 18s in front and 20s in back. Front tires look new, can still read the name on the center rib (almost) but the rear is looking thin with just under 10k on them.

LC

• What I want to do is get the tallest side walls I can on the SlingShot for more comfort. At 70 my racing days are behind me. Between the wife and I we have had 4 back and 1 neck surgery in last last couple years so we are trying to soften the ride as much as we can.

Go to an 18" tire in the rear and make up the height difference with sidewall. Couple guys in here do it. @MACAWS, @Slingrazor

• Okay, my slingshot is my daily driver, rain or shine, so my tire needs may be different than many others. My Sling is a 2016 SL with the 18's in front and a 20 in the rear. At just about 10,000 miles it became time to replace the stock rear Kenda which was down past the wear bars. After doing some research I decided to go with a stock size 255, 35R 20 Nitto Motivo for its better wet traction rating. I know I will lose a bit on the performance side, but it it still rated as an ultra high performance tire and having the wet traction was worth the trade off for my type of usage. I also like the high mileage rating it gets compared to my other options

I got my tire from discounttiredirect.com. Their price was as low as any other place I could find and I didnt get charged for sales tax or shipping. Ordered it on a Friday and it was delivered the following Tuesday

I will definitely use them in the future when it comes time to replace the fronts and I will also get the Motivo's then as well

also the main reason I stayed with the stock size was price and compatibility with the nanny controls - the tire I bought cost $142. if I up sized to say a 275, 30R 20 in the same tire the price jumps to $204 - - not a big deal, but considering how long rear tires last it just seemed better to stay with the stock size when the difference in tread width is well under 1 inch

At this point I have probably put about 1000 miles on the Motivo and so far on dry pavement it actually seems to have better traction then the Kenda, which I didnt expect considering the harder rubber, holds better under hard acceleration around corners and also takes a bit more to break free when starting from a stop - as I said this is not what I expected, but I suspect it is due to the wear on the Kendas reducing their ability to grip compared to the new full tread I now have

So now that I have gotten that out of the way I would like to add that if my slingshot were not my daily driver and I only took it out in fair weather my tire choice for the rear would have been a Nitto NT05 and for the front I would get NT555's - - - they would be much better suited for pure fun and perhaps an occasional track day :)

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I had to replace all 3 of my tires due to vandalism. I have a 2016 SL LE with stock wheels and went with 245/45/18 Nitto NT555G2 on the front and a 275/30/20 Nitto NT555G2 on the rear.

The circumference for the fronts is 83.8" and the rear is 83.3" with a difference in rotations over a mile of 6 revolutions.

The stock tires...SL LE. (front) 225/45R18. (rear) 255/35R20 have a difference in rotations over a mile of 30 revolutions.

My choice was the closest match to being equal I could find for the stock wheels so there should be zero nanny problems.

For anybody who would like the calculator I used to find matches the website is...www.tiresize.com/calculator

SSreaper

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• I have a 2016 SL with stock wheels and a 275/40/20 Nitto 555G2 on the rear. Does not throw any codes.
    Just this afternoon I ordered a new set of wheels and tires from Josh at getyourwheels.com for $1,812 delivered.
    Front - Stance SF03 gloss black with brushed tinted face 19x8.5 +42 offset 66.1 hub bore with Nitto Invo 245/40/19.
    Rear - Stance SF03 gloss black with brushed tinted face 20x11 +45 offset 66.1 hub bore with Nitto 555G2 315/35/20.
    I should have the wheels in a couple weeks. As soon as I get them mounted, I’ll take pictures and post.

• I have a 2016 SL with stock wheels and a 275/40/20 Nitto 555G2 on the rear. Does not throw any codes.
    Just this afternoon I ordered a new set of wheels and tires from Josh at getyourwheels.com for $1,812 delivered.
    Front - Stance SF03 gloss black with brushed tinted face 19x8.5 +42 offset 66.1 hub bore with Nitto Invo 245/40/19.
    Rear - Stance SF03 gloss black with brushed tinted face 20x11 +45 offset 66.1 hub bore with Nitto 555G2 315/35/20.
    I should have the wheels in a couple weeks. As soon as I get them mounted, I’ll take pictures and post.

With that combination of tires your differential will be 51 revolutions per mile. The front will turn 51 more times in a mile than the rear.

I wonder what the limit is to set off something with the ABS or TRC controls... @rabtech?

SSreap

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• With that combination of tires your differential will be 51 revolutions per mile. The front will turn 51 more times in a mile than the rear.
    I wonder what the limit is to set off something with the ABS or TRC controls... @rabtech?

SSreap

I am curious as to how these nanny controls work. I believe there is a speed sensor located in the swing arm (if I recall correctly it was mentioned in the grommet recall), but are there speed sensors for the front wheels? - please someone educate me as to how the stability control and traction control work - - - thank you

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• 1. Year & model:

2. Street, racing:

3. Brand and Size:

4. Front or Rear:

5. Change In Size:

6. Dealer and Price:

7. Codes or Issues:

8. Notes:

"copy and paste" then fill in.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• 1. Year & model: 2016 SL LE

2. Street, racing: Aggressive Street

3. Brand and Size: 245/45/18 Nitto NT555G2 front 275/30/20 Nitto NT555G2 rear

4. Front or Rear: Both

5. Change In Size: YES

6. Dealer and Price: N/A

7. Codes or Issues: Nothing yet

8. Notes:My choice was the closest match to being equal revolutions per mile I could find for the stock wheels there should be zero nanny problems.

• Hind sight is always 20/20.

What a true statement! To begin with I had no intention of buying any wheels. Then someone posted up a "relatively" cheap tire that would fit the rear of the my sling. Realizing the fact that I am only at 3k and have already ordered a much needed new rear tire I reflected on the fact that during my shopping I learned not every tire place keeps a 305 30R20 laying around. With that fact in mind I went ahead and ordered that "relatively" cheap tire to keep on hand should I ruin one and have an immediate need for a "spare". After ordering the "relatively" cheap tire I decided that maybe it would be a good idea to take a look at buying a wheel to mount it on. My thoughts here were that if something serious enough happened to ruin a tire it might also ruin the wheel and if I had the "spare" already mounted it would be a quick change and be back in service. I looked on the web and quickly found a decent looking wheel that the tire would fit nicely on at a "relatively" cheap price and ordered it. Now I do a little more thinking,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,something I should have done more of way earlier in this story,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Since having a "relatively" cheap "spare" for the rear is such a good idea it might also be a good idea to have at least one laying around for the front. It might also be a good idea to get the same style "spare" wheel for the front as I did for the rear. You guessed it,,,,,,,,,,,,they don't make that style wheel in the size that I need for the front!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now if I get my spares to match I will have to buy two more new wheels in a different style. Can anyone see where this "relatively" cheap project is going? From now on if you find something "relatively" cheap for your sling,,,,,,,,,,,just keep it to yourself!!! :00000028::00008862: I can't afford any more bargains. :00007510:

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

Edited once, last by Ghost ().

• Hind sight is always 20/20.

What a true statement! To begin with I had no intention of buying any wheels. Then someone posted up a "relatively" cheap tire that would fit the rear of the my sling. Realizing the fact that I am only at 3k and have already ordered a much needed new rear tire I reflected on the fact that during my shopping I learned not every tire place keeps a 305 30R20 laying around. With that fact in mind I went ahead and ordered that "relatively" cheap tire to keep on hand should I ruin one and have an immediate need for a "spare". After ordering the "relatively" cheap tire I decided that maybe it would be a good idea to take a look at buying a wheel to mount it on. My thoughts here were that if something serious enough happened to ruin a tire it might also ruin the wheel and if I had the "spare" already mounted it would be a quick change and be back in service. I looked on the web and quickly found a decent looking wheel that the tire would fit nicely on at a "relatively" cheap price and ordered it. Now I do a little more thinking,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,something I should have done more of way earlier in this story,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Since having a "relatively" cheap "spare" for the rear is such a good idea it might also be a good idea to have at least one laying around for the front. It might also be a good idea to get the same style "spare" wheel for the front as I did for the rear. You guessed it,,,,,,,,,,,,they don't make that style wheel in the size that I need for the front!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now if I get my spares to match I will have to buy two more new wheels in a different style. Can anyone see where this "relatively" cheap project is going? From now on if you find something "relatively" cheap for your sling,,,,,,,,,,,just keep it to yourself!!! :00000028::00008862: I can't afford any more bargains. :00007510:

I think that was me who got you started on all this.... I'm so proud of myself! :D

$160.92 - Lexani LX-Twenty 305/30ZR-20 tires | Buy Lexani LX-Twenty tires at SimpleTire