Trans fluid

• Royal Purple in angle drive but NOT for transmission! Can cause shifting problems.
    This is the correct tranny fluid...

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• On the dark side a member ran RP in his tranny & had problems until he changed it back out - perhaps he inadvertently used the heavier (inappropriate) weight?

I also run the 75/140 RP in my angle drive but when I change the tranny fluid (soon) will stick with the AC Delco I pictured above as it's designed for the transmission whereas the RP is a gear oil.

RP does make a fluid specifically for manual transmissions, called Synchromax but haven't researched it too much...

• I have the cross reference chart..... Its kinda freaking me out a bit.... It looks like they recommend the 10/40 synchromesh oil for the GL3 requirement.... Is this what y'all are seeing on the chart....

2014_Royal_Purple_Transmission_Lubricant_Cross_Reference.pdf

The GL3 requirement is my main concern so it's why I'm sticking with the AC Delco. My tranny shifts great so why mess with what works?!

• The guy that had trouble had the wrong weight installed on accident.

The dealer put the same RP in his angle drive and his transmission. He changed it out and all is well now.

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• GL-3: what it means...
    Thank your for the kick in the pants about the GL-3 rating. The Royal Purple that I have used in multiple vehicles in the past is GL-4 and GL-5 rated. I have always liked how the transmission runs a lot cooler with the RP.
    Have to think this one though because (knock on wood) I have always had great luck using RP for transmissions and gearboxes.

• About to do my 500m today and wondering what those of you that have had the sling for a while have been using without issues for the Transmission.

My current Plan is
    Engine: Mobil 1 5-30 /M1C-151
    Angle Drive: 75w/140 Most likely Royal Purple since that seem to be what everyone is using if not speak up
    Transmission: I don't know since i can't seem to find anything that is GL-3 other than OEM which i tend to avoid since they usually "suck", as in do the bare minimum while charging you more than anyone else.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I just changed my Final drive(lots of metal shavings on the magnet) and engine at 500 to remove any metal shavings, I was going to do the tranny too but decided to hold off until i buy the polaris GL-3 oil tomorrow.

After much reading online I got paranoid about using one of the other oils that are not GL-3.

To quote the all wise @Tripod " The transmission is the one thing that works fine on every Slingshot from the get go on polaris oil, so why mess with that?" 8o

• I just changed my Final drive(lots of metal shavings on the magnet) and engine at 500 to remove any metal shavings, I was going to do the tranny too but decided to hold off until i buy the polaris GL-3 oil tomorrow.

After much reading online I got paranoid about using one of the other oils that are not GL-3.

To quote the all wise @Tripod " The transmission is the one thing that works fine on every Slingshot from the get go on polaris oil, so why mess with that?" 8o

I said that?! ?( What was I drinking?! :D
    I am sticking with GL-3 though (but ACDelco brand)

• I am trying to find Ac delco since i read online that polaris is actually rebadged AC delco oil for twice the price but the usual places don't carry it(AA,O'reilly and walmart), I have a busy week but i have tasked the master shopper of the house, so i know she will not fail.

I want to be ready for next saturday since a group of local slingers are doing the Flood Run(hosted by polaris) of which only henry is on this forum but I will try to remedy that by wearing one of the SSI shirts and having the business cards on hand.

With that said I should make a post in the MN/WI forums in case any other local in here but not part of that FB group wants to join.