Tool kits for the road?

• Just wondering what everyone carries for a took kit while traveling. At least my Kawi and Wing had minimal tools. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• There are only a couple of things you will likely fix on the side of the road. Here are the common ones...

• Have tools to replace coolant clamps with backup worm clamps you have spares of.
    • Have a fuse puller or needle nose and common extra fuses.
    • Have metric set of sockets and ratchet to straighten out your bumper after hitting something, or to get on tow truck.
    • Have a cheesy tire plug kit and small air compressor.

You can carry a bunch of extra crap like I do, but it isn't likely you will have a problem that you will fix easily. So, just pick whatever items look appealing at Harbor Freight and fit in your machine.

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• @pricejh61@Ross would tell you different --- BUT I am innocent … true lots of times when I'm out and about some young lady just wants to go for a ride. Pictures will be coming to you from a 3rd party. Debbie did enjoy a short ride.

Looking forward to meeting you in Maggie Valley.

Guilty until proven guilty!

John
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

SOG supporter

• I’ve just been compiling my list...

I have new wheel nuts now that have a special security socket...the end of that socket fits a 19 mm socket....so to take a wheel off I’m including a 1/2” breaker bar with a 19 mm 1/2” socket. I Haven’t figured out how to jack it up...

I have the service manual on my cell phone..

I have a mini jump box and mini air pump. I have a can of FIX A FLAT and tire plugger tool.
    Ratchet screw driver with torx bits and regular bits..
    Crescent wrench.
    Duct tape.
    Fuses.
    Wire cutters
    Wire ties

• yes he is - we kind of like him (in a manly way) that way and some of us are still trying to figure out all of his secrets

John, some folks you know live less than 5 miles from me. The minute Mark said his TN brother went to NM to buy a Slingshot --- I knew. Will send them a card and give Mark a ride when his knee gets better.

• I got a rough measurement of the sunken part of the passenger side storage box then we went to Harbor Freight and bought a tool bag that would just fit in it. Then we went up and down each isle putting tools into the bag until we could barely zip it closed. Haven't a clue what all is in there but one thing is for sure. When and if we ever break down I will find out the one thing that we should have put in there but didn't! LOL

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• John, some folks you know live less than 5 miles from me. The minute Mark said his TN brother went to NM to buy a Slingshot --- I knew. Will send them a card and give Mark a ride when his knee gets better.

Holly Molly! He will get a real kick out of it. We have both been sports/performance car afflilicandos all our lives.

John
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

SOG supporter

• I asked this same question right after I got my sling, now a bit more than a year later I still dont have any tools. I know I should at least carry a torx driver to open the battery area so I can get a jump start if needed, but keep forgetting. I have my AAA with the motorcycle and RV rider so if anything breaks I will just call them. I think the one think I learned when I was asking is that normal AAA coverage doesnt include motorcycles

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• I got a rough measurement of the sunken part of the passenger side storage box then we went to Harbor Freight and bought a tool bag that would just fit in it. Then we went up and down each isle putting tools into the bag until we could barely zip it closed. Haven't a clue what all is in there but one thing is for sure. When and if we ever break down I will find out the one thing that we should have put in there but didn't! LOL

I got a rough measurement of the sunken part of the passenger side storage box then we went to Harbor Freight and bought a tool bag that would just fit in it. Then we went up and down each isle putting tools into the bag until we could barely zip it closed. Haven't a clue what all is in there but one thing is for sure. When and if we ever break down I will find out the one thing that we should have put in there but didn't! LOL

I used the water proof clear plastic boxes from Ace. They were sold in a 2 box set, the small one will hold a full set of 1/8 inch socket set (metric and standard) up to like 5/8 inch socket also with the allens and star tips and the short extension, I think I even have the spare fuses in it also. Then you still have the larger box with a full set of short wrenches (metric and standard) and a lot more stuff in that one. Then under the hump behind the pass. seat there is the Slime air compressor and the tire plug kit and still have room left for some other stuff. Do not forget the ty wraps and the electrical tape. One day I will have to make a list of everything in those two boxes. But they have everything that you might need unless you need to pull the engine apart. Also the better idea is to get the box that will slide under the passenger seat, but glue the tool box rubber liner to the bottom to keep the box from sliding around on those crooked mountain roads.

• May be just the 3 answers we got after 2 phone caslls and a suoervisor but our AAA with motorcycle rider will not cover the Slingshot for towing (flatbed) - only gasoline .... so we dropped it

Just our experience

• I asked this same question right after I got my sling, now a bit more than a year later I still dont have any tools. I know I should at least carry a torx driver to open the battery are so I can get a jump start if needed, but keep forgetting. I have my AAA with the motorcycle and RV rider so if anything breaks I will just call them. I think the one think I learned when I was asking is that normal AAA coverage doesnt include motorcycles

One of the things I learned … when calling for a 'tow' let them know that it is similar to a Vette for towing purposes.

• One of the things I learned … when calling for a 'tow' let them know that it is similar to a Vette for towing purposes.

good to know, but hopefully something I will never actually need to know ;(

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• good to know, but hopefully something I will never actually need to know ;(

About 5 years ago I learned that one should NEVER use 'cruse control' when the roads are wet or possible black ice. Left a beautiful Lincoln TC in MO using cruse control...lucky only car damaged. Learned the from a Leo who stopped to help.