Swing Arm Mud Flap

• Another slinger who I met on the road made the comment to add this mud flap. (Polaris Slingshot Swingarm Mud Guard from Rally Armor) He says it will keep rocks and degree from getting into a certain location that will cause problems. Also he mentioned about upgrading the rear shock lower mounting bracket because the original bracket allows the shock to bottom out. Any input?

• the mud guard will definitely help keep the pebbles and grime from getting on the top of tge swing arm but other than the problem of getting down there to clean it I don't know that it causes problems if you don't have one

I don't have the upgraded bracket either and don't think I have ever bottomed out our JRIs

• Correct me if I am wrong but the upgraded mounting bracket is the same height as the stock, more bling than function. There is some aftermarket mounts that actually lower the rear which would be more likely to bottom out.

The swingarm mud guard looks nice and stops a lot of the gravel from being flung onto the pivot point of the swingarm. Dirt and sand still collects there but is not seen with the mud guard in place(like sweeping dirt under the rug). A negative effect of the mud guard is it stops airflow pass the right angle drive.

• Correct me if I am wrong but the upgraded mounting bracket is the same height as the stock, more bling than function. There is some aftermarket mounts that actually lower the rear which would be more likely to bottom out.

The swingarm mud guard looks nice and stops a lot of the gravel from being flung onto the pivot point of the swingarm. Dirt and sand still collects there but is not seen with the mud guard in place(like sweeping dirt under the rug). A negative effect of the mud guard is it stops airflow pass the right angle drive.

Not sure about the mounting bracket but the airflow makes a lot of since.

• @mniron, I had not thought about airflow by the drive. I may have to reconsider the flaps. I only put them in to keep from having to clean back in that area and you are correct, it just blocks the view, doesn't keep it totally clean.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the flap finishes the area nicely but it is a mistake to think it is keeping the area clean. I have never heard of a right angle drive failure attributed to heat build up but reduced airflow would increase the temperature of the drive.

Myself, I did run a flap, have since removed it since it was not as visible with saddle bags. I was surprised how much dirt and sand had collected there when I did.

• Don’t get me wrong, I think the flap finishes the area nicely but it is a mistake to think it is keeping the area clean. I have never heard of a right angle drive failure attributed to heat build up but reduced airflow would increase the temperature of the drive.
    Myself, I did run a flap, have since removed it since it was not as visible with saddle bags. I was surprised how much dirt and sand had collected there when I did.

So I wonder if it’s best to keep it open to clean it out. Take a air hose and blast it every other trip.

• The mounting bracket only NEEDs to be replaced if you go from base wheels to SL or bigger wheels and that is to correct the geometry of the Sling.

The base bracket is larger than the SL so if you upgrade wheels/tires and keep the base bracket your sling would be tipped forward or at least that is what I was told by a Ghost(aka Henry)

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.