Can the back cig. plug be used for a battery tender and heated gear?

• OK this is very helpful. I will use the cig. plug for the battery tender. But for my heated gear, I will do the wiring.

I have searched the internet high and low for a picture of the 2017 battery terminals... found nothing of the terminals, just pics of the battery from the side. The heated gear coax connector is made for a small motorcycle battery's terminals. Not sure if they are going to go on the SS terminals since I can't find a pic of them. Guess I have going to have to freeze in the garage tomorrow and have a look at the battery. Below is what they look like.

I have a Gerbing Heated jacket lines that I have use quite a bit... I plug directly into the cig lighter between the seats and have run with it 8 plus hours a day riding with no problem (temps 30 degrees to a high of 35). I generally wear some snow pants and warm boots when it's cold enough for the jacket liner and do just find. And like I said 6 to 8 hours no problem. So If your just going out a hour or so you will have no problems...

• I have a Gerbing Heated jacket lines that I have use quite a bit... I plug directly into the cig lighter between the seats and have run with it 8 plus hours a day riding with no problem (temps 30 degrees to a high of 35). I generally wear some snow pants and warm boots when it's cold enough for the jacket liner and do just find. And like I said 6 to 8 hours no problem. So If your just going out a hour or so you will have no problems...

Yeah,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but your an Eskimo!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• Somewhere in the forum there is located a wire size/amp rating chart. I though I had it Bookmarked but I did not. This brings up the point of finding useful things such as this again when you need it. The easy way is to use the Bookmark feature on the forum and add a description to it that you will understand later to find the correct bookmark that you need for the information.

I posted a link to a Wire Gauge/Capacity/Length chart in Post 56 here - Another Battery Question. In Post 57, @SlingLow posted a different chart that recommends using heavier gauge wire for the same loads shown in the chart I linked. In terms of safety, opting for the heavier wire is only a little more expensive.

• On my 2017 slr there is a battery tender type plug that comes out the back on the driver side by the swing arm. I think polaris put it in.

Would have been put in by the dealer. My 17 did not have that and I don't think Polaris would have spent the extra money. Haven't seen any at my dealership that has had them.

• I have a Gerbing Heated jacket lines that I have use quite a bit... I plug directly into the cig lighter between the seats and have run with it 8 plus hours a day riding with no problem (temps 30 degrees to a high of 35). I generally wear some snow pants and warm boots when it's cold enough for the jacket liner and do just find. And like I said 6 to 8 hours no problem. So If your just going out a hour or so you will have no problems...

I have no doubt that you have been doing it and getting away with it but I sure as heck would not recommend anyone else to do it.

There are a lot of factors that can make her experience greatly differ from yours, she is planning on using jacket and pants if i remember correctly.

Jacket ~100W =8.3 Amps
    Pants ~90W = 7.5Amps
    That right there is 16 amps which is pretty much taxing the cir lighter if used continuously, lets say she decides to add boot inserts ~35W and Gloves another ~35W

When it comes down to it I rather err on the side of caution because it would really suck to burn the sling because you didn't want to spend ~$100 bucks on the proper electrical setup for the heated gear.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Yes if your going full gear the system should be wired for such....

• @studiopeg did you look under your seat to see if the is a connector yet? It'll be near the back. If it is there it's switched.

I took a quick glance last night, there's something there but I'm not sure what. I will look tomorrow as I plan to spent a lot of time tomorrow working on the sling.

Side topic: last night I was taking the roll bar covers off, verrrryyy carefully. The magnetic attachment on my drill wouldn't fit so I had to hold my hand under as I was drilling the screws out. Of course, the last screw bounced off my hand and into the roll bar well, lost forever.

Unfortunately it's a torx and no local hardware stores have these.

Any clue where I can get a replacement? I searched amazon and there are some replacements of similar torx screws for other Polaris vehicles but not the Sling.

• Well after doing a lot of reading of threads in here, I'm headed up to the store to get a yellow Optima battery. Ordered the battery box upgrade from sling mods. Man, I haven't even driven my Slingshot yet and ca-CHING!!

• Well after doing a lot of reading of threads in here, I'm headed up to the store to get a yellow Optima battery. Ordered the battery box upgrade from sling mods. Man, I haven't even driven my Slingshot yet and ca-CHING!!

Only way not to spend money on the sling is don't read the forum, they are more than willing to give you ideas on how to spend your money. Original greeting about this was a warning that few will heed. :D It is all good, just enjoy all you do, it will be worth it when you get to ride.

• I took a quick glance last night, there's something there but I'm not sure what. I will look tomorrow as I plan to spent a lot of time tomorrow working on the sling.
    Side topic: last night I was taking the roll bar covers off, verrrryyy carefully. The magnetic attachment on my drill wouldn't fit so I had to hold my hand under as I was drilling the screws out. Of course, the last screw bounced off my hand and into the roll bar well, lost forever.

Unfortunately it's a torx and no local hardware stores have these.

Any clue where I can get a replacement? I searched amazon and there are some replacements of similar torx screws for other Polaris vehicles but not the Sling.

Most likely you won't find the matching screw at a hardware store. You can however find a replacement in the appropriate thread and length. Pull a matching screw from another less visible location to use on the hoop cover and replace with aftermarket. Some locations can be made to look better with screw covers and the screws don't need to match.

• Struck out on the battery today. Three auto zones - each had the Optima but all covered in dust and manufactured more than a year ago.

One did have one manufactured 7 months ago. Maybe I ought to go back and get that one.

I really don't want to order it on-line because the weight causes the boxes to break and the batteries come damaged, as many of the reviews show.

Not a good day today.