Things we've powdercoated

• Hello all!! So there is a ton of helpful resources out there for powdercoating, such as tools and equipment, where to buy powders and some techniques on how to coat your items. Since there are a number of us on this forum whom do this trade possibly professionally or as a hobby, I would like to see if this thread will take off with info on things we could provide to help other with the process. I have to tell everyone that since I learned how to powder coat just over a year ago now, this is a VERY viable and relatively inexpensive option to coloring our parts, seriously it has become a fun ADDICTION!!

Things we color can be for the sling or not as long as its related to the process of powdercoating then please post it here. I will do my very best to keep this thread managed with "How to" videos of myself powdercoating, the system and set up I currently use and any tips on how to apply the best coats to get a smooth and excellent finish on your products. Now please understand that this is not a living for me but I do get paid for a bunch of the products we create, therefore that technically makes me a professional but I in NO WAY classify myself as one. I still have a LOT to learn so hopefully someone here that has a vast amount of knowledge and time invested into the process will be willing to give their feedback on how to progress and enhance our skills.

Being involved in a handful of Facebook groups you get to ask questions and learn from folks that do the same things you do. Take powdercoating tumblers for instance, there is a group dedicated to just those folks who like to create powdercoated artwork on tumblers and they are DAMN good at it, problem is that most feel since everyone is trying to do the same thing they wont share their tips or secrets with others in fear that they take a part of the market from them. To me that's BAD BUSINESS because in this would there is PLENTY of money to be made with people wanting customized stuff and if we limit ourselves to not sharing knowledge then how could we ever grow as an industry? My philosophy is that when some tries to copy or mimic another persons creation, then they are just trying to capitalized on something that has already been created while the creator is moving on to make more with the next best thing, and that's ok! What you know as research & development (R&R), others know as rip off & duplicate!

So with that being said lets see some of the things that my fellow brothers and sisters are coloring now-a-days and if you have any questions on anything related to the process that we can answer then please feel free to ask! I hope this helps someone on the verge of getting into the art of powdercoating and we make a few more DIY'ers here on the forum!!

I'll post some more recent pics as soon as I get out of "prison" and to my phone!

Owner of Three's Da Life Fenders and Three's Da Life Apparel

Proud supporter of S.O.G. (Slingshot Owners Group) :thumbsup:

WWW.ROCKMYBLING.COM

• I have seen your work— NO I put in the Professional Category ALL DAY AND TWICE ON SUNDAY!

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• So I use a material called Oracal 631. Its a wall graphic material with a removable adhesive....low tack. I use the plumberry color because for some reason each one of the different colors use a different thickness of adhesive on them, I cut the plumberry Oracal 631 on my Roland GX24 plotter cutter and then weed the excess away from the design so that what is left will be placed directly to the part. Then I take the part(like @TheRock s Nut Cover for instance) and powdercoat the area I want to stand out....throw the part in the oven @ 400 deg for 15 min (NO PART METAL TEMP at this point) and then pull it out and let it cool.

Once cooled I apply the vinyl cut image to the colored part, powdercoat with the second color and place in the oven for 1 min 30 sec or until the powder has started to turn to a liquid (also known as flowing). Once flowed I remove the part from the oven and then let it cool to about 110 deg(using an infra red laser thermometer) and then peel the vinyl decal off CAREFULLY because at this point the powder is fragile due to being under cured and if not careful it will flake or chip off.

Once peeled I place the part back in the oven for a full cure @400 deg part metal temperature (meaning that the part has reached 400 deg and now you start the timer) for 12 min.

After full cure, pull it out of the oven and let it completely cool and your ready to mount and bolt the part up however needed!

Ill add a video later for you folks because I have some more nut covers to do this weekend!!

WWW.ROCKMYBLING.COM

• yep that’s true professional technics right there my friends.

:thumbsup:

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• I have been checking out build your own websites and believe that's what I am going to do. I have an old double door stand up commercial freezer that is all steel construction except the top with the compressor unit which is all removable and easily filled in and insulated. I have the coils and a few things collected just looking for a PID temp controller and some direction on wiring it all up

• Yes I too have been thinking and have actually seen online a few people build their own using 2 Charbroil brand electric smokers....they are about 3.4 to 4 ft tall and 2 feet deep. Some cut the back off one and weld them together (they are already insulated and would each have their own element to heat the box) then they hook both elements to one dial and viola, 400 deg in 5 minutes! I know its a little more complex than how Ive put it but the smokers are only $89 bucks on sale!

WWW.ROCKMYBLING.COM

• If you are thinking on those lines @STYLN, why not a used 50 gallon drum? Just a thought from a guy that has no experience or skin in the game. ;)

Are you saying like an oil drum?

WWW.ROCKMYBLING.COM

• @mytoy can I see a picture of the oven you use for powdercoating? Thanks!

Yes please :D I sent a pm asking for info

I did not do them but just for ur info for each it was around $ 100.00 if ur interested I can send u the info where I had it done. I did not try to misslead anyone, do if it came accros wrong SORRY, cheaper then builing an oven IMO.

Do not resent growing old. Many are denied.... The Privilege :REDSS: :SUPERCHARGERSS: : :HEADERSS: : :COILOVERSS: Wycked hitch

• Yes, oil, paint, cleaners... People use them all the time to make grills.

Yes I actually have 2 (a 55 gallon and a 15 gallon mini) that are made into smokers! These particular charbroil ones insulate the heat and are not just a piece of metal. When Powdercoating indoors you have to make sure the heat is maintained in the oven so they need to be insulated therefore an oil drum could work but would need some major modifications. I do love your thinking tho because you can get an empty drum fo around $15 bux!

WWW.ROCKMYBLING.COM

• Major. need to add a door that will keep heat in, a way to hang the items to allow heat to circulate, install some type of heat element that can be temperature controlled....basically building an oven from the ground up in a 55 gallon barrel. But if you think you can do it then let me know and Ill get you on a plane to Cali and we can get it done!! I have access to plenty of tools!!

WWW.ROCKMYBLING.COM

• I was just suggesting a starting point, since heating elements and thermostats were already mentioned.

I was envisioning cut in half long ways just like it would be to make it a grill.

Place fire proof insulation over both halves, held in place with banding straps zip screwed on, though could be nuts and bolts.

Could always use heat duct metal instead of bands to cover over all the insulation.

Since, like painting, you seem to hang items. Bolt a 1/4 inch thick, 2 or 3 inch wide metal plate on each side. As long as it needs to be to come just shy of the lid closed.

Cut a "v" into the top center of the plates. This will be for square tubing the length of the interior of the barrel to be placed into for a place to hang your items.

You could grind/cut shallow grooves into the top edge (upper "v") of the square tubing to better hold your hangers from sliding while setting items into oven or removing them. Done by lifting the square tubing out of the oven.

You could make a stand that would hold your square tubing for spraying and cooling. ;)

Heating coils and thermostats were mentioned before I brought up a barrel option, but I'm sure those can be sourced from used stove salesmen.

That is what I was thinking. Keep in mind, I said I have no experience. I was just trying to brain storm with you guys. ;)