seat belt replacement

• Contact your DMV, I'll guarantee what the answer will be as previously explained, If a vehicle is equipped with seat belts, they must be worn by the driver and all passengers while the vehicle is moving, regardless of whether the vehicle has air bags. If the seat belts have lap and shoulder straps, both must be worn. and by the definition cited from California statute, A motorcycle is a motor vehicle that has a seat or saddle for the use of the rider..........................

But that aside, like others stated, there is a reason vehicle manufacturers install shoulder harnesses, to have them installed and then choose not wear them..................well?? :S

To each their own................

Bill

• Just write a disclaimer note for your glove box that says you intentionally altered the safety devices....(suicidal tendencies)

then we all won’t be subjected to a national recall and mandatory do not operate “stop driving” halts.

I’ll take my chances being spun toward the center in a crash....

And count on being killed if you get T-BONED... there isn’t anything between you and the other vehicle except air..

We like them in ours...................

Bill

had mine since day one.....

• car manufactures didn’t want to put in any safety devices.....if it wasn’t for Ralph Nader....you wouldn’t have any....they didn’t want to spend all the money required for all the testing...

The seat belts in cars are attached the way they are out of driver convenience....they knew everyone would bitch if they were like ours...and Nobody would buy their cars...

Logistics...and convenience.... no other reason.

Well maybe because the majority of the population is right handed....

Ours are actually easir go get in and out.

• A lap belt isn't going to keep you from face-planting into the steering wheel.

I kinda figured my full face helmet would protect me from that. - - - California may have excluded motorcycles from the seat belt law, but helmets are mandatory

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• The big question is why did Polaris install seat beats in the first place....my guess would be to cover state requirements in states like mine that classify it as an autocycle.

The seat belts are where they stash the gps tracker and microphones. Silly you. Of all people, you should know that.

• I don't know why he keeps posting his hypothetical views. There have been T bone crashes with the sling, there has been high speed head on crashes with the sling, there have been roll overs, and there have been survivors. The one death caused by a head on had probable cause related to internal injuries by the seat belt (passenger), driver survived.
    For someone who claims to be all mighty in the world of inspections and what can and can not be legally done, you sure do miss the mark on research.
    There are some here that have been around from the beginning who have lost friends. Be careful with your ASSumptions please.

• Look - I got it. you think I shouldn't change my belts.

No need for you to keep repeating yourself - unless you can tell me about seat belt options you can go now

• Okay - can we please get back to my original question. I am looking to replace the stock seat belt. I would like a full race harness, but I want the shoulder straps removable so I can wear just the lap belt for trips around town and also so that I can still have easy access to the storage compartment should I replace the seats with seats where the straps run through the seat back.

I do not need advice or opinions on my reduced safety those times when I choose to only use the lap belt - this has already been addressed without my question being answered so there is no need to go there again

Thank you

PS links to the belt system you chose would be appreciated

• @edwardaneal Hope the first paragraph helps with a decision.

Just bouncing through... lots of stuff not pertinent to original post... can't really add much... aftermarket lap belts galore on sites like Jegs, JCWhitney... plenty of pics and discussions on harnesses by using the search function for this forum... just enter 'harnesses'.

As to the discussion of the use of belts in vehicles.... moot.
    Seatbelts prior to 1968 were at best a luxury. Any vehicles of that era and previous that are still on the road or have been returned to the road, may now have aftermarket restraints.
    Purist will not have installed restraints because of original equipment.

So, let's not talk of seat belts, but refer to them as personal restraints. Simplistic, restraints must be of sufficient strength and anchored in such a way as to restrain a person and the seat in the event of seat failure.

And last... there will always be someone out there that will find an angle to pierce the original concept to make a dollar.

Can't wait for a discussion on ladders...

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• the buckle side of the stock seat belt actually attaches to the side of the seat frame so I am not sure how much good it would do in the event of a seat failure.

• Here is where I got mine from. Tuning » Schroth Racing » Products

I got the Rallye Cross. The shoulder straps don't separate, but that is what I wanted. They have other types like what you want. They are also DOT approved and have the ASM technology.

2017 Sunset Red SL with carbon fiber accents

• Easily circumvented by sliding the Slingshot by the D.O.T. as a motorcycle...
    What is the standard for attachment of seat belts on a motorcycle?

if you look at the stock buckles only the driver side buckle has the electrical connection for the seat belt warning light - guess they dont care if the passenger wears their belt and clearly not D.O.T approved

• well, I just ordered this 2 point lap belt I am going to attach the adjustable side under the same bolt that holds factory mount on the inside tunnel wall. This belt uses the same type of buckle as stock so it should plug right into the factory buckle. The entire stock belt system will be retained and fully functional this will simply add an additional lab belt only option for around town.

On the bright side this belt I am adding is federally approved just incase an "inspector" has a problem with me adding it :S

At some point I will most likely replace all of this with a 4 point system, but for now this will meet my needs