New seat recall

• I'm not trying to derail this thread, nor am I saying that there's another recall in the works. But there might be an issue with the Polaris Velocity seats. I purchased one of the first sets to be released as an accessory part and loved them from day one. I installed them myself (very easy installation and did only used hand tools - no screw gun). While checking out the slingshot last month, I noticed that 2 of the screws that held the seat back cushion to the metal seat back frame were loose. I went to tighten them, and they were not loose, but rather the plastic "boss" that's molded to the plastic seat back had actually broken at the base. Over the next few days I went through a few options of how to proceed. Was I going to buy another set of seats, was I going to pull it apart and find a way to safely reattach it to the seat back, was i going to see if I could just buy one of the seat backs? Good thing I dragged me feet a couple of weeks. I went to my dealer to see if they have ever seen this happen before. Luckily, they had an SLR in the shop a few days ago under warranty that had the same issue. By then a third boss had broken and I knew if I was going to Maggie Valley I needed to have a safe seat. They took pictures of the seat and a request to Polaris to replace the seat under warranty even though it was out of the parts warranty. It took them a couple of days for an answer, but Polaris come through and authorized the replacement. They sent a full set of seats (all 4 pieces) and wanted the good ones and bad one back to see why it failed. I'm just letting those of you who have the velocity seats know that there has been two failures from the same dealer, so you might want to check yours to make sure you don't have this issue. I'm sure if Polaris finds a defect that exceeds their acceptable range, they will do the right thing. The pics below will show you what I mean by all this

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Yessir, that will be a problem for most of those seats. Never cared for the alignment pin/thread receiver combo. The problem with the current set up is the screw being to short. All the load is placed on the alignment pin and not the base wall.

Just tightening the screw will stress the alignment pin.

I suspect that a lot of pins will break trying to replace the screw with a longer more suitable screw. And the longer screw must not protude into the seat fabric.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• @funinthesun that is what is happening to mine! But I didn’t buy mine from a close by dealership. Bought mine from a dealer on eBay ....

That does suck, but seeing how there seems to be others having this issue, it might be worth trying to see what your dealer can do for you. It's a Polaris issue and they would be paid for doing the replacement if Polaris authorizes it. It's worth a try

• True, but for the next year or so until this set breaks as well, there may be a recall and a better manufactured part available. In any case, the seats today are better than the broken ones from last week and they cost me nothing

• I just stated the facts. Feel free to make your own judgement. Takata airbags were known to be faulty for several years, yet they chose to put millions of people's lives at risk. If the seat breaking turns out to be a major issue, I'm sure Polaris will make good on it.

• If you take your sling in for seat track inspection do you let them keep it? Now that I asked the question let me go a little further. My Dealer has dropped my sling off the lift totally jacking up the side panel so bad I had to bring it to the managers attention to get it replaced, next time left the exhaust can loose and damn near lost it. So I told them hell no. Inspect it and I will bring it in and pick up the seat tracks if they are bad. I don't want them touching my Sling. They said No I had to leave again I said no. Let me sign a waver I'm not leaving it with you or any one for that matter after all the hell I have gone thru with the dealer. Am I just been difficult I don't think so?

Sorry for the rant might be just a little P.O.ed

• If you take your sling in for seat track inspection do you let them keep it? Now that I asked the question let me go a little further. My Dealer has dropped my sling off the lift totally jacking up the side panel so bad I had to bring it to the managers attention to get it replaced, next time left the exhaust can loose and damn near lost it. So I told them hell no. Inspect it and I will bring it in and pick up the seat tracks if they are bad. I don't want them touching my Sling. They said No I had to leave again I said no. Let me sign a waver I'm not leaving it with you or any one for that matter after all the hell I have gone thru with the dealer. Am I just been difficult I don't think so?

Sorry for the rant might be just a little P.O.ed

My slingshot is my daily driver so unless the dealer wants to get me a rental I would ask them to order any parts and call me when they have them and I will then come in and they can do what they have to do and I will wait. Having said this if I had had the issues you have had I would try find a different dealer even if it meant driving further - just because of things I have heard I already go to a dealer that is not the closest one because they have a better reputation

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies