All Oil Filters Not Created Equal!

• WAIT WAIT WAIT!

This is not another "Oil Filter" thread to try to say which brand is best.

Humor me here just a minute if you would. We have been using the same oil filters for our bikes since about 2002. Once I done the Oil filter relocation kit on my wife's bike both it and my goldwing took the same filter. Then I bought her goldwing in 05' and it took the same filter. Then I bought the ZX-14 in 06 and it too took the same filter. And we have used that same filter on the drag bike since the beginning. I said all this to make the point that I have been using the same filter for many applications for many years. For the race bike we always keep several spare filters on hand partly because the racing fuel we use is NASTY and partly because of the slider clutch and the fact that the transmission gear case and the engine gear case are one and the same using the same oil. The cheapest thing to change on that thing is the oil and filter (even though it takes 6+qts). Anyway, as some of you are aware we are trying to get it all put back together for the spring race @ Valdosta GA April 6,7,8th. After getting the engine back in today and getting everything hooked up I thought I'd go ahead and change the filter prior to start up. I just reached in the cabinet and grabbed one of the 8 or so filters we have on hand, filled it with oil and spun it on. Only problem is that when it stopped spinning on it done it abruptly. So abruptly it caught my attention. I usually tighten my filters extra tight because this engine's oil pressure exceeds 110lbs psi on a cold start up and if it isn't tight it'll blow the oring out from under the the face of the filter. I backed the filter off a couple turns and tightened it up again and again it stopped abruptly. I got a feelers gauge and slid between the rubber gasket and the face of where it it mounted and the feelers gauge went right past the seal without a problem. I took the filter back off and set it up on the counter beside the used one I had just taken off earlier. Both these filters were the exact same brand with the exact same part number. It was evident that the center of the new filter where it screws on was bulged to the front of the filter where the center of the old one was sunken toward the rear of the filter. I went back to the cabinet and checked all the remaining filters and all of them where wrong. I sure am glad that I caught their screw up here at home instead of at the track during one of those emergency thrashing sessions between rounds that sometimes happens. Just goes to show that getting the same brand and same part number doesn't always mean you are getting the same part! :00007505::00007510:

Rant over!!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868