Heat shield kit from Polaris

• I had the Polaris heat reduction kit installed by CycleSprings and have now ridden about 300 miles mostly in 85 to 90 degree heat. I definitely notice an improvement at all speeds of travel. I would recommend this mod as a comfort improvement. With summer approaching here in Florida this was a must for me and will not have to listen to my wife complain about the heat by her feet any more.

• I had ceramic-ed my muffler and exhaust manifold as well as putting an extra heat shield behind the muffler, under the floor and on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel a few days before this kit came out. So far it seems to have reduced the heat.

• I was an early adopter, installed myself. It's not a difficult job technically but it is a fair amount of work, figure on 2 to 3 hours. The radiator shroud stops the hot air (whether moving or fan pushing) from blowing over the upper part of the engine, (adding more heat) onto the firewall and through the various openings into the cockpit. If you have a stock muff, a shield is provided that wraps around the back of it insulating that huge heat generator. Having ridden on several 90 degree days, I can attest to the fact that it is well worth doing and one of the best bangs for the buck since Polaris seems to be subsidizing the cost of this kit.

• I was an early adopter, installed myself. It's not a difficult job technically but it is a fair amount of work, figure on 2 to 3 hours. The radiator shroud stops the hot air (whether moving or fan pushing) from blowing over the upper part of the engine, (adding more heat) onto the firewall and through the various openings into the cockpit. If you have a stock muff, a shield is provided that wraps around the back of it insulating that huge heat generator. Having ridden on several 90 degree days, I can attest to the fact that it is well worth doing and one of the best bangs for the buck since Polaris seems to be subsidizing the cost of this kit.

Are you saying you don't have to buy the heat shield kit from Slingmods or wherever? Or do you mean something else by "Polaris is subsidizing?" I've been looking at this option very seriously...do NOT need the excess heat.

Also considering cutting out the cat and porting the exhaust out the body under the flare. Has anyone else done that, or something similar?

• Are you saying you don't have to buy the heat shield kit from Slingmods or wherever? Or do you mean something else by "Polaris is subsidizing?" I've been looking at this option very seriously...do NOT need the excess heat.
    Also considering cutting out the cat and porting the exhaust out the body under the flare. Has anyone else done that, or something similar?

You do have to buy from a Polaris parts dealer--Slingmods or Slingshotonly (Cycle Springs) are probably 2 best places to buy pricewise for cost and shipping. You can also buy at any dealer. When I say "subsidized" I'm simply referring to the fact that this kit is about 1/3rd of what Polaris would normally charge for OEM parts and IMO it's because they recognize the heat issue and are trying to address it in a way that's cost effective to them without having to do a recall and pay parts and labor for everyone. The kit really is bargain priced.

• From what I've read, it sounds like it directs the hot air unto the steering. Do you think that would an issue?

Only partially and nothing that should cause an issue especially as there is still some bottom up airflow at that point. Keep in mind that the shroud is simply something that was left off and is normal on most vehicles.

• Need some help on this topic. The two pictures here from my 2016.5 appear to show some or all of the heat shielding in place on the right right corner under the hood.. My wife said it got warm on the passenger side the other night, but not too much so.

My questions are, is this setup significantly different from what previous models have gotten? And if so, is the any benefit to getting the aftermarket kit - i.e., are there any additional pieces that I would benefit from?

Also, not to be too retarded, but...what am I looking at, with the giant tin foil wrap on it on the right of the picture? Is that a combined header?

• Need some help on this topic. The two pictures here from my 2016.5 appear to show some or all of the heat shielding in place on the right right corner under the hood.. My wife said it got warm on the passenger side the other night, but not too much so.

My questions are, is this setup significantly different from what previous models have gotten? And if so, is the any benefit to getting the aftermarket kit - i.e., are there any additional pieces that I would benefit from?

Also, not to be too retarded, but...what am I looking at, with the giant tin foil wrap on it on the right of the picture? Is that a combined header?

That's one part of the new heat management system Polaris installed on all '16.5 and newer Slings. The other parts of this system is the heat deflector that mounts behind the radiator. That big "Foil" shield is supposed to deflect the heat from the muffler down towards the ground.

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• That's one part of the new heat management system Polaris installed on all '16.5 and newer Slings. The other parts of this system is the heat deflector that mounts behind the radiator. That big "Foil" shield is supposed to deflect the heat from the muffler down towards the ground.

So, based on the pictures I've seen of the post-production heat shield kit, it doesn't look like there would be too much added value in picking one of those up. Several parts look they serve the same purpose of the pieces already installed.

• There's also a small piece of foam that blocks airflow from the engine bay into the passenger side compartment, but that's not easy to see.

In my experience with a 2016 (not 2016.5), it made a big difference. Obviously you don't know what you're missing ;)

• As I understand it, the 2016.5's have the polaris kit already installed for the heat shields. You shouldn't have to do anything else unless you want to minimize the cockpit heat anymore.

I myself have an October 2016 so I've not ridden it yet in hot days and I don't have a heat shield kit..... yet.

Boating with the dolphins, US Navy '76-'84

• As I understand it, the 2016.5's have the polaris kit already installed for the heat shields. You shouldn't have to do anything else unless you want to minimize the cockpit heat anymore.

I myself have an October 2016 so I've not ridden it yet in hot days and I don't have a heat shield kit..... yet.

Wow--October 2016---you must be back from the future!