8 Hour Ride

• Saturday Ghost Ryder and I went out for a little shake down ride in hopeful preparation for some longer distance rides this summer. We got on the road a few minutes after 10am and returned home a few minutes after 6pm. Other than stopping for gas we only stopped twice. Once going up the mountain from Sherwood TN toward Sewanee to allow Ghost Ryder to check out some kind of plant she saw growing on the side of the mountain and then once @ the college in Sewanee for a pic at the church where my daughter was married.

All in all it was a good ride for a shake down. After 8hrs in the saddle I wasn't any more tired than I would have been riding in anything else. Definitely got REAL tired of the whistling created between the top and windscreen. Guess I'll get busy with the sun visors now! Audio system is fine below 60mph, above 60 it is useless. I wouldn't want it to be loud enough to overcome the wind noise at that point. I do want to retain what little hearing I have left! Guess I should once again take a serious look at the headsets and intercom systems.

Back in my younger days when I used to get to fly on a regular basis I got real used to wearing the headsets in the small planes I flew. They were comfortable enough to wear for extended flights and offered great audio quality for both the communications radio as well as music broadcast radio. My only concern in using a headset like that in the sling is the fact that they cut out so much ambient noise. It would be great to cut out the wind noise but there are other sounds that it is still important to hear.

Do any of you use a similar set up when riding in the sling?

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• I added the roll hoop speaker pods which made a big difference, but I am using an aftermarket stereo and amp.
    you could always do what @rabtach did and steal some of those big ass emergency sirens and install them behind the seat. I bet he has about 200lbs of speaker magnets in the white beast.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I added the roll hoop speaker pods which made a big difference, but I am using an aftermarket stereo and amp.
    you could always do what @rabtach did and steal some of those big ass emergency sirens and install them behind the seat. I bet he has about 200lbs of speaker magnets in the white beast.

He is trying to hold the ass end on the ground for more traction :POKESS:

I hear ya! I have plenty stereo volume but I'm not going to turn it up enough to overcome the wind noise at interstate speeds. I just don't want that much noise of any kind! LOL For a little while maybe but hour after hour it would become uncomfortable at best. I have looked at some of the portable intercom systems for small planes. They aren't too expensive these days. I'd just have to pipe the audio from the radio into it. Too much to do and too little time!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

I hear ya! I have plenty stereo volume but I'm not going to turn it up enough to overcome the wind noise at interstate speeds. I just don't want that much noise of any kind! LOL For a little while maybe but hour after hour it would become uncomfortable at best. I have looked at some of the portable intercom systems for small planes. They aren't too expensive these days. I'd just have to pipe the audio from the radio into it. Too much to do and too little time!

For a visor look at what @mytoy has done he has a pretty tall windscreen and roof, if I remember correctly his visor closes off that space between the roof and the windscreen. just not sure how you would mount it. I think it is in his build thread.....Me I still go topless

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• For a visor look at what @mytoy has done he has a pretty tall windscreen and roof, if I remember correctly his visor closes off that space between the roof and the windscreen. just not sure how you would mount it. I think it is in his build thread.....Me I still go topless

@mytoy also has a wind shield wiper for that tall wind shield, for those that have not seen it.

• hello gentlemen here is the LINK

Made a Sun / Wind / Rain Visor

Thanks for posting the link and that is a nice piece that you manufactured but mounting it on the slingshade "A" arms would be a big problem.

What I have come up with isn't as nice but preliminary tests indicates that it will work to stop the whistling and also assist in controlling the amount of air directed into the cabin. I just have to get busy and machine the needed pieces. There will be two individual visors and they will mount underneath the slingshade on the small flat space between the front edge and the opening for the top door. Space is very limited so it will have to remain tight to the roof for sure. Only time will tell how well they will do but if it works out I can see where someone could easily fabricate kits to be sold for this purpose. I am sure that I'm not the only person with a slingshade that would like to have adjustable sunvisors/wind deflectors. One other possible advantage when adjusted to direct fresh air into the cockpit could be to reduce the "negative" pressure area and thus reduce the possibility of having exhaust circulated back into the cockpit. I will make some pictures and keep everyone advised on my progress (which will be slow as we are gearing up for racing season here right now).

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• My best ride is 17 hours, 1047 miles. Could have kept going. A sling is comfy.

Sena SMH10 comms in my bucket. Not loud enough for a dance/trance/rave party, but loud enough for me, and audible at high speeds. Nice for chit-chat with my bride as well. Does not mask the important ambient noises. Like @Ghost, I want very much to hear what is going on around me - a safety issue, as well as part of the pleasure of open air driving.

I also pack a ton of water. You may not immediately notice, but Mother Nature is slowly turning you into a raisin unless you keep pumping water. By the time you do notice, it is not pretty at all, and you are done riding for the day. Jerky and an OJ or two also help to keep on keeping on going. Caffeine is a no no, as you will crash at some point and have to urinate much more frequently. Caffeine does work for the last leg if you must, but no sooner.

• I'll chime in here. Another vote for the Seba SPH10 headset, since I almost never wear a helmet. We use them primarily for intercom when we ride together.

ALSO, I have taken to wearing a simple pair of foam earplugs whenever I ride, SPH10 or not. I have found that they block out the high pitch of the wind that does the most damage, but still allows me to hear ambient noise, as @Slingrazor mentioned. I used to wear them under the full face helmet on my bikes, and I just carried them over to the Sling. And even with the earplugs, I can hear the intercom just fine with the plugs in and the headset volume up.

Also, @ethermion is dead on about the water, even when the sun isn't baking you. It'll sneak up on you. Stay hydrated.

So, a question...in an 8 hr ride, what was your mileage total? Somewhere between 400-480 miles, I'm guessing?

• My best guestimations is just over 400 miles. Most of the roads we took were the smaller roads with more stops and turns but it didn't matter because we really didn't have our heart set on going anywhere particular. We were just out riding and enjoying the beautiful weather.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• The Sena's are great, but they do not get real loud for music. According to Sena this is a safety feature.

I have a set you are welcome to try out, just come to the cookout.. :)

Proud Member of SOG!!!!!!!

2015 SL (Yellow) Traded becuase it kept melting

2018 SLR LE with DDM SuperCharger!!! I guess the gray ones are faster...

• The Sena's are great, but they do not get real loud for music. According to Sena this is a safety feature.

The Sena's are great, but they do not get real loud for music. According to Sena this is a safety feature.

Thanks for the offer and I would love to do that but Indiana is a little out of the way on my route to N.C.! LOL

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868