Oil change

• Hi all, Well I finally did it! I found what I thought was a pretty good deal on a 2017 SLR. It was slightly used by the dealer rep. and never used as a demo. It had 167 mi. on it when I picked it up. I had to drive 230 miles one way to pick it up but I am glad it all went well. My question is what is the easiest way to do an oil change using only a floor jack and a jack stand so I can get under it far enough to take out the drain plug? I'm not ready to change the oil yet as it now only has 204 mi. on it but I want to know the best way I can do it before I get 500 mi. on it. I see several videos where the guy reaches in over the frame and unscrews the plug and I tried that and my arms are a bit large to fit. If I can get my floor jack under the driver's side and get it up in the air far enough I think I'll have it licked. I was thinking about the Race Ramps but they only are 5 inches high and I won't fit under the Slingshot unless it's higher up. Just wondering how you guys do it. Jim

• Hi all, Well I finally did it! I found what I thought was a pretty good deal on a 2017 SLR. It was slightly used by the dealer rep. and never used as a demo. It had 167 mi. on it when I picked it up. I had to drive 230 miles one way to pick it up but I am glad it all went well. My question is what is the easiest way to do an oil change using only a floor jack and a jack stand so I can get under it far enough to take out the drain plug? I'm not ready to change the oil yet as it now only has 204 mi. on it but I want to know the best way I can do it before I get 500 mi. on it. I see several videos where the guy reaches in over the frame and unscrews the plug and I tried that and my arms are a bit large to fit. If I can get my floor jack under the driver's side and get it up in the air far enough I think I'll have it licked. I was thinking about the Race Ramps but they only are 5 inches high and I won't fit under the Slingshot unless it's higher up. Just wondering how you guys do it. Jim

I change mine from the bottom and I have the ramps but you have to back up on them. I have found that the floor jack and the jack stand to be the easy way. Just jack up then install the jack stand crawl under to remove the plug, remove the jack stand and let the oil drain then jack it back up and replace the plug. To me it is a lot safer than backing up on the ramps.

• Might also consider a Fumoto oil valve. I first heard of it here, and bought one for each of my vehicles. You can search that term here and find a few threads about them. My 2017 needed the value + an adapter, if you do go that route.

Otherwise pretty easy to change, I jack up the driver side enough so I can reach under, then flip the tab to drain, and engine is tilted slightly to passenger side to ease drainage.

The trouble with bucket seats is not everyone has the same size 'bucket'.

• Thanks guys, That is how I was going to do it but I had to decide between race ramps at $300.00 a pair which would not have been high enough or a better longer floor jack which I ordered today from Summit Racing. I am looking forward to adding up the miles on this SS. Next thing is to let the better half drive it. Jim

• I change mine from the bottom and I have the ramps but you have to back up on them. I have found that the floor jack and the jack stand to be the easy way. Just jack up then install the jack stand crawl under to remove the plug, remove the jack stand and let the oil drain then jack it back up and replace the plug. To me it is a lot safer than backing up on the ramps.

That's how I remember @Slingrazor showed me... Worked great!

• The drain plug is easily reached from leaning in from the right side of the engine and putting a box end wrench on the plug to crack it, then spin it out by hand. Absolutely no need for a lift, jack or ramps.

• Easiest way would be to have a wrench day... you supply the oil, filter, and beer... and have someone else do the oil change.

No video required.

Pics... pics are required!

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Air outlaw, that's the best advice I've heard in a while! I'd love to throw a big party here and have you all come so I can celebrate me getting the SS. I only drove it once since I got it one week a go today cause of the weather here.

• I did create another video that does not require going underneath the Slingshot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50pBQDsFYas

One! you have a better back than I do, never have been able to pull the plug from the top and I have tried, just because you said you could. Two! I never change the oil on a cold engine. That stuff is hot down there.