• Backed the Sling out of the garage a little while ago so Brenda could see the new fenders. Still no brakes and then went to pull it back in the garage with my hand on the Emergency brake hit the brake and had half a pedal, pumped again and had a full pedal so I went for a ride being very careful. The squiggly brake warning lite came on and off about three times while I was out riding and then stayed on. I do not know what in the hell is going on. It has still got to be the master cylinder.

And to think, I named mine "Ghost" :!: I can only imagine what you are going to call yours 8|

Good luck and be safe!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• Backed the Sling out of the garage a little while ago so Brenda could see the new fenders. Still no brakes and then went to pull it back in the garage with my hand on the Emergency brake hit the brake and had half a pedal, pumped again and had a full pedal so I went for a ride being very careful. The squiggly brake warning lite came on and off about three times while I was out riding and then stayed on. I do not know what in the hell is going on. It has still got to be the master cylinder.

I have not had a brake failure but my BRAKE FAILURE light has been on for a month. Taking to Brewer Cycles Saturday, but have been told that is from the 2 brake pressure switches on the side of the master cylinder.

• I have not had a brake failure but my BRAKE FAILURE light has been on for a month. Taking to Brewer Cycles Saturday, but have been told that is from the 2 brake pressure switches on the side of the master cylinder.

Yep they changed mine about 6 months ago - did the trick

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Had my brake sensor switches replaced during the Spring 2017 recalls. My brake light just started occasionally coming on resulting in loss of cruise control. Brakes seem to work fine, but since the light comes and goes, I guess I should check the brake fluid level. Due to replace the brake fluid, anyway.

Update - Unfortunately, the brake fluid level was fine, so I assume my sensors have failed again now that I'm out of warranty.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Had my brake sensor switches replaced during the Spring 2017 recalls. My brake light just started occasionally coming on resulting in loss of cruise control. Brakes seem to work fine, but since the light comes and goes, I guess I should check the brake fluid level. Due to replace the brake fluid, anyway.

If your by a dealer may want to have the senor switches checked....some of the replacements were bad. Breaks still work, just irritating....

• I will be at Brewer Cycles at 9 am Saturday. Will be trailering because of cold temps and chance of rain. If you will be home @V-SHOT and I will swing by for a bit. Maybe breakfast in town.

I will know by Friday if I have to head to NC.
    If not I will be here and we can meet somewhere - how is John feeling is he all mended up?

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I will know by Friday if I have to head to NC.If not I will be here and we can meet somewhere - how is John feeling is he all mended up?

Yes. He is about 85-90 of what he was before the surgery. still going thru physical therapy.

Hope we get to see you Saturday. Want to show you my trailer now that it is finished.

BKL just wondering about your experience with the break issue. I am about 600 miles from home and the "Break Failure" light came on. Kinda freaked me out. I stopped and turned off the motor and the light went away. Then drove about 3 miles and still no light. Is this a light issue or is there really something wrong with the breaks? Do you think she is safe to drive?

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• BKL just wondering about your experience with the break issue. I am about 600 miles from home and the "Break Failure" light came on. Kinda freaked me out. I stopped and turned off the motor and the light went away. Then drove about 3 miles and still no light. Is this a light issue or is there really something wrong with the breaks? Do you think she is safe to drive?

Thank you for that! I had my break fluid checked, changed and the "dealer service" done as a warranty issue about 5K miles ago. I checked the fluid today and it is all good and full. Gunna put down about 300 miles tomorrow and was looking for some comfort on this issue. If need be I can live with out the CC if that is all it is - just want some insight on if there are any Mechanical issues as far as the breaks working or is it just an idiot light issue

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Here's the sticky issue about advising you to drive or not to drive. The red brake failure light PROBABLY is from a bad break sensor (mounted on the master cylinder). Polaris has replaced thousands of them - multiple times on some machines. If that is the problem it is safe to use until they get replaced. Please not that you will not have cruise control while that light is on. But for anyone to boldly state that you're good to go when there's a small chance that you may have a REAL brake failure - well, let's just say any good lawyer would welcome the case if anything did happen to you.

Bottom line is you're probably fine riding it, but without seeing it and checking it, I would not give you that advice

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• BKL just wondering about your experience with the break issue. I am about 600 miles from home and the "Break Failure" light came on. Kinda freaked me out. I stopped and turned off the motor and the light went away. Then drove about 3 miles and still no light. Is this a light issue or is there really something wrong with the breaks? Do you think she is safe to drive?

Just got back from my ride.
    I should not be considered a brake expert and the following is my opinion and is worth exactly what I have been paid for it (ZERO). When my Brake Failure Light first became an issue, I was able to turn off the engine, wait a short time (under 1 minute), then restart the engine and the BF Light would be off. It would usually stay off until I had to actually use the brakes.
    During my ride tonight, my BF Light was on most of the time. After one of my stops, the light stayed off for a bit (until i actually had to use the brakes).
    In my opinion, when the light comes on and you already have checked the brake fluid level and have tested the brakes, you are probably safe to ride with the BF light on. I feel the sensors are a known failure item and If I could figure out how to deactivate the BF light and retain my Cruise Control, I'd do it. Unfortunately, I don't know of any bypass capability.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Just got back from my ride.I should not be considered a brake expert and the following is my opinion and is worth exactly what I have been paid for it (ZERO). When my Brake Failure Light first became an issue, I was able to turn off the engine, wait a short time (under 1 minute), then restart the engine and the BF Light would be off. It would usually stay off until I had to actually use the brakes.
    During my ride tonight, my BF Light was on most of the time. After one of my stops, the light stayed off for a bit (until i actually had to use the brakes).
    In my opinion, when the light comes on and you already have checked the brake fluid level and have tested the brakes, you are probably safe to ride with the BF light on. I feel the sensors are a known failure item and If I could figure out how to deactivate the BF light and retain my Cruise Control, I'd do it. Unfortuantely, I don't know of any bypass capability.

I had the same issue until I had the pressure switches on the side of the master cylinder replaced under warranty. I never had brake failure, just the light. This is a very well known problem with the Sling. Best advice is to take it in to a dealer and have the switches replaced , hopefully under warranty.

• Just to be clear...on cars and trucks...there are yellow caution lights and red warning lights...

Yellow lights come on to indicate problems that need attention ...

Red warning lights mean there has been a system failure and you should stop driving until the issue is resolved.

As a CYA measure in the SS.....the brake failure light comes on red to tell you the brake system has detected a loss of brake pressure...meaning the brakes could fail....as indicated by the brake pressure sensors.....

Polaris knows they have installed sensors that have been prone to be faulty...which is why they replace them under warranty and to CTA....from liability issues..

Just because many people including myself have had these sensors replaced without suffering any loss of brake pressure doesn’t mean every brake pressure light issue should be ignored assuming the sensors are faulty...

Always error on the side of safety and assume you could have actually just lost your brakes or could lose them very shortly..

The red light is doing exactly what it was designed to do.....warn you of a possible failure.

Never ignore red warning lights when driving any vehicle....

• Odd info here. Does the SS cluster show any yellow lights?

It took me 4 replacements of the brake pressure sensors to get that darn light to settle down. Yes 4. For me, it only affected cruise control, but YMMV. I found it disturbing to ride with the BF light on. Rolling restarts would clear it, but as others have noted, it comes back with brake use.

The sensors mount on the underside of the master cylinder, so there is a flush involved. I know of someone who did a home repair, blowing the sensors with a blast of air with good results. Don't know the rest of the story. Not sure I would recommend that.

Sensors are made in Mexico, washers in Japan, gaskets in China. I think around $75 for the necessary pair - don't remember too clearly, so it might be $75 each. I know my dealer cussed and spit about the hassle of replacement.

Definitely get it fixed, warranty or not. Brakes are important, and as others have noted, no easy way to know if it is a false alarm or the real deal emergency. SS + no brakes = undesirable.