how to save money and time on upgrades for your SS

• Good evening my fellow SS owners I just finished some more custom work on my SS thought i would share with you guys and gals who may want to make these changes how simple and how to save big bucks at the same time in my last series of upgrades i did the under glow and exterior LED front and rear and interior LED lights along with adding another camera and monitor so i can see fully whats behind me at all times this series i added a rear fender, mirror extensions stainless steel header,, and sunshades for both monitors ,as you may know a rear fender cost around 1000.00 or that's what i had been seeing i found the same fender for 305.00 except it isn't painted and did not come with the drill and tap kit .no biggie for a 700.00 saving you can buy a drill and tap and couple of cans of paint ,the Polaris paint for my turbo silver is 30 bucks a can so i went to my local auto parts house and bought a can of silver that closely matched the Polaris paint for 9.00 bucks and of course the clear coat .i did the first couple of coats after the primer with a hammer paint to give it a different look then used my silver and 15 coats of clear coat turned out quite well
    .now as far as the header its well worth this upgrade BUT don't believe for one second you have to go through all the steps as shown on the sling mod website they show you have to take off the whole right side of the SS and remove the muffler after i studied this for awhile i came to the conclusion that wasn't at all necessary .i simply removed the oxygen sensor the 3 bolts holding the muffler to the header then the header bolts slipped off the old header and with a little maneuvering slipped on the new header piece of cake without all the work and no need to take to shop to get it done that alone saved me about 150.00
    still haven't had any issues with getting pulled over fr nor wearing a helmet a state trooper did pull up beside me and the wife the other day and told me i was suppose to wearing a helmet .i told him if he had a minute to pull over in next parking lot and i would show him a paper showing that law had been amended he said well i really don't care i just wanted you to be aware u may get pulled over i added that it had been thrown out of court i know at least 4 times because the argument being made that this thing isn't no more motorcycle than a small 2 seat convertible sports car he agreed that's why he doesn't pull over people who don't wear one .if i can of any assistance or answer any questions don't hesitate to contact me .

• Mods done on my SS, more than 25. Mods done by me, 100%. Mods done by a shop or dealer, 0%. Well, I did have a good friend help me with the vinyls for the SLR kit on mine. And @Painter painted the cam and coil cover, not to mention the coolant overflow tank. Everything else was done by myself. I'm with you one the mods @Moondoggie, save the money and do it yourself. Not to mention, you get to know your SS intimately that way.

• advance but all the parts stores carries the same ones the brand is dupli-color the color is alabaster i tried every silver in 3 different stores and this one comes the closest i mean you aren't going to get perfect results unless a body shop does it but it looks good enough for me especially when i saved over 700 bucks over the painted ones
    the thing i cant get over is the header change i contacted slingmods where i got my header and told them u didn't need to remove anything to change the header they said they didn't know why the guy doing the video did all that unless he was planning on other changes .the header change is a must do far as i am concerned u get 10 more HP ns sounds great .

• Bravo for you guys who does your own modifications .i found out what the dealer charges to do any modification is very expensive they charged me 57.00 to change my oil and i furnished the oil and filter .the header labor was to be around 150 all the lights was going to be around 3 to 4 hundred the rear fender would have been at least 1to 150 labor .

• you may know a rear fender cost around 1000.00 or that's what i had been seeing i found the same fender for 305.00 except it isn't painted and did not come with the drill and tap kit .no biggie for a 700.00 saving you can buy a drill and tap and couple of cans of paint ,the Polaris paint for my turbo silver is 30 bucks a can so i went to my local auto parts house and bought a can of silver that closely matched the Polaris paint for 9.00 bucks and of course the clear coat .i did the first couple of coats after the primer with a hammer paint to give it a different look then used my silver and 15 coats of clear coat turned out quite well
    .now as far as the header its well worth this upgrade BUT don't believe for one second you have to go through all the steps as shown on the sling mod website they show you have to take off the whole right side of the SS and remove the muffler after i studied this for awhile i came to the conclusion that wasn't at all necessary .i simply removed the oxygen sensor the 3 bolts holding the muffler to the header then the header bolts slipped off the old header and with a little maneuvering slipped on the new header piece of cake without all the work and no need to take to shop to get it done that alone saved me about 150.00
    still haven't had any issues with getting pulled over fr nor wearing a helmet a state trooper did pull up beside me and the wife the other day and told me i was suppose to wearing a helmet .i told him if he had a minute to pull over in next parking lot and i would show him a paper showing that law had been amended he said well i really don't care i just wanted you to be aware u may get pulled over i added that it had been thrown out of court i know at least 4 times because the argument being made that this thing isn't no more motorcycle than a small 2 seat convertible sports car he agreed that's why he doesn't pull over people who don't wear one .if i can of any assistance or answer any questions don't hesitate to contact me .

Link to this mistery unpainted fender for $305?

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• still haven't had any issues with getting pulled over fr nor wearing a helmet a state trooper did pull up beside me and the wife the other day and told me i was suppose to wearing a helmet .i told him if he had a minute to pull over in next parking lot and i would show him a paper showing that law had been amended he said well i really don't care i just wanted you to be aware u may get pulled over i added that it had been thrown out of court i know at least 4 times because the argument being made that this thing isn't no more motorcycle than a small 2 seat convertible sports car he agreed that's why he doesn't pull over people who don't wear one .if i can of any assistance or answer any questions don't hesitate to contact me .

I have have gotten pulled over, but just given a warning. Would you be able to send me a copy of the Law showing it was amended?

• YEAH u have to watch those sneaky shipping charges that's why i put the 305 on there .the helmet law is on this forum cause that's where i got it i printed it out and keep a copy in my glove compartment other than that one state trooper no one has seemed to pay me any attention if i do get pulled over and fined i will take it to court.i look at is as the same as a living will its my right to live or die .a helmet is not going to make one bid of difference if u r in a serious crash with this thing .i have been hemmed between 2 sim i's on the interstate i actually felt more comfortable in my SS than in a car cause you are so aware of your surroundings especially without a helmet on and the new camera and 7" monitor i added really helps in seeing what is around u at all times

• Mods done on my SS, more than 25. Mods done by me, 100%. Mods done by a shop or dealer, 0%. Well, I did have a good friend help me with the vinyls for the SLR kit on mine. And @Painter painted the cam and coil cover, not to mention the coolant overflow tank. Everything else was done by myself. I'm with you one the mods @Moondoggie, save the money and do it yourself. Not to mention, you get to know your SS intimately that way.

Same here my hands only hands touching my sling that way WHEN it brakes I know who to call :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• Same here my hands only hands touching my sling that way WHEN it brakes I know who to call :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

I with ya'll on this! My wife is the only one that works on my sling and if it breaks down on the road I have packed her up some tools to get us back going. It's amazing what a good woman can do with a tool.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868