navigation/radio combo

• This seller offers a reasonably-priced Double DIN install kit that includes the wiring to fit the Slingshot - POLARIS SLINGSHOT MARINE STYLE DASH INSTAL KIT RADIO COVER FOR DOUBLE DIN STEREO | eBay. Haven't used it, but it looks like it should handle the wiring issues.
    Since I have my amp mounted behind the radio, I've been looking at MP5 radios that lack a DVD/CD drive, but can play MP3 and MP4 files. Some of the MP5 players can be had with a rear-view camera and GPS for well under $100 and many also are shallow depth for clearance of an amp. Here's an EBay link - Double DIN MP5 player with GPS for Polaris Slingshot | eBay. Amazon also carries some similar units. A word of caution, many of the off-brand radios use a remote to access setup features, so I tend to look for units that have a built-in Settings button so you're not tied to an easily-lost remote. Also, if the unit has a mirror feature for Android, you can use your phone's GPS/Maps capability and have the cell screen mirrored on the player.

• This seller offers a reasonably-priced Double DIN install kit that includes the wiring to fit the Slingshot - POLARIS SLINGSHOT MARINE STYLE DASH INSTAL KIT RADIO COVER FOR DOUBLE DIN STEREO | eBay. Haven't used it, but it looks like it should handle the wiring issues.
    Since I have my amp mounted behind the radio, I've been looking at MP5 radios that lack a DVD/CD drive, but can play MP3 and MP4 files. Some of the MP5 players can be had with a rear-view camera and GPS for well under $100 and many also are shallow depth for clearance of an amp. Here's an EBay link - Double DIN MP5 player with GPS for Polaris Slingshot | eBay. Amazon also carries some similar units. A word of caution, many of the off-brand radios use a remote to access setup features, so I tend to look for units that have a built-in Settings button so you're not tied to an easily-lost remote. Also, if the unit has a mirror feature for Android, you can use your phone's GPS/Maps capability and have the cell screen mirrored on the player.

That's great info BKL. I'll check your links. I'm not that much up to date on these electronic systems so I thank everyone for sharing their knowledge . I have the SL but Polaris's radio just plain sucks so been looking a bit for a better system . I have an older Garmin GPS (outdated) so a built-in gps will be good, hopefully with mapping updating available.

• That's great info BKL. I'll check your links. I'm not that much up to date on these electronic systems so I thank everyone for sharing their knowledge . I have the SL but Polaris's radio just plain sucks so been looking a bit for a better system . I have an older Garmin GPS (outdated) so a built-in gps will be good, hopefully with mapping updating available.

Updating maps for off-brand Radio/GPS units might be a problem. Of course, depending on the unit replacement cost, it might be cheaper to buy a new unit (hopefully with an updated map) than buying a mp update. My 2013 Ford Edge has built-in Navigation, but I'll be da..ed if I'm going to pay $150/yr for a map update when my Garmin has lifetime map updates!
    As far as the MP5 units, assuming you use an Android phone, I'd look for a unit that can mirror your cell phone so you always have up-to-date maps from your phone.

• Updating maps for off-brand Radio/GPS units might be a problem. Of course, depending on the unit replacement cost, it might be cheaper to buy a new unit (hopefully with an updated map) than buying a mp update. My 2013 Ford Edge has built-in Navigation, but I'll be da..ed if I'm going to pay $150/yr for a map update when my Garmin has lifetime map updates!As far as the MP5 units, assuming you use an Android phone, I'd look for a unit that can mirror your cell phone so you always have up-to-date maps from your phone.

If your 13 Edge has Sync 2 MFT, it ain't that bad. Should be an SD card inside the arm rest. Got the latest map card - A7 for my bride's 13 Fusion Hybrid (awesome car), for under $50 shipped. Whatever. I can't get out of a bar for under $50.

Not much of a difference, but I try to be attentive to my lovely wife. The updates seem to focus more on POI updates than road changes.

If you have the older Sync 1 MFT with CD loaded maps - like my '10 Fusion - (it also updates your nav software), you are pooched. The CD is burned and linked to your car only by Navteq after they get your System serial code. No map updates for you without the $150.

• If your 13 Edge has Sync 2 MFT, it ain't that bad. Should be an SD card inside the arm rest. Got the latest map card - A7 for my bride's 13 Fusion Hybrid (awesome car), for under $50 shipped. Whatever. I can't get out of a bar for under $50.
    Not much of a difference, but I try to be attentive to my lovely wife. The updates seem to focus more on POI updates than road changes.

If you have the older Sync 1 MFT with CD loaded maps - like my '10 Fusion - (it also updates your nav software), you are pooched. The CD is burned and linked to your car only by Navteq after they get your System serial code. No map updates for you without the $150.

Kind of like the map updates for the Goldwing...You're at the mercy of the manufacturer and NAVTEQ. Which is why I'm looking seriously at a unit with CarPlay.

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• My 2013 Edge has an SD card. We accidentally dislodged it and the unit stopped recognizing my Wife's iPod. We disconnected her iPod and I reinserted the SD card and everything started working again. The letters I go from Ford wanted $150 to update the maps. I don't plan on buying another Ford since I have started having problems with the door closed switch which means the rear doors won't lock either and the overhead lights also stay on for a bit. Ford wants $400 to replace the door switch which now requires disassembling the door instead of simply replacing a door switch in the frame. The design change may have simplified assembly, but the pass-on to the customer of high repair costs alienated me.

• Neglected to say, the Ford A7 navigation SD card is freely available in the $50 range on Ebay. Yes, it is $150 direct from Ford, and I ain't doing that either. But $50, sure.

$400 for a door switch sounds like dealership price. Have you checked with a local garage or considered doing it yourself?

Been a Ford man most of my life, and no plans to change that anytime soon.

• Yep, that was the dealer price I read about on forums. This was my first vehicle with an LCD dash, so I purchased an extended warranty which will hopefully cover the replacement. naturally, now that the weather has warmed up, the door switch seems to be working properly (temporarily), but I still need to get it fixed. It's just design decisions that save money immediately for the manufacturer, but shifts higher repair costs to the customer that set me off. Just another case of short-term profit thinking at the expense of long-term customer retention.
    This is my fourth Ford. I've owned at least 7 or 8 Chevrolets, a Buick, an Oldsmobile, a Toyota and several Dodges/Plymouths, and have been reasonably happy with all of them, but this problem is something I don't think I'll forgive. Minor inconvenience to me, but lasting damage to my opinion of Ford products.