• Ordered it from discount tire direct on Friday the 2nd and it was delivered at 4pm today and by 4:30 it was installed

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I remember my first set of Eagle Gts....they replaced the factory bias tires....the difference of the radial tire over the bias was crazy...

So I’m thinking about putting this on my rear...

My fronts still look good...

• Ordered it from discount tire direct on Friday the 2nd and it was delivered at 4pm today and by 4:30 it was installed

I considered tires like that with two different tread patterns for the rear ..I not 100% convinced how they will Handle on one wheel....they were designed for use with 4 wheels..I worry about one side biting harder or being slipperier than the other causing goofy things to happen with the traction control.. would consider them on the front...

• this is what I based my decision on...

The manufacturer designed the tire based on the direction of rotation...your tire guy mounted the tire in the direction of rotation...in this orientation the side marked in red was always supposed to be on the outside of the vehicle...meaning the side marked in blue was always meant to be inside, under the vehicle.....so putting it on the single rear wheel puts the blue side in the wrong orientation from the way they were designed to run...on one wheel...

So how much effect that will have on handling and the traction control...I don’t know...just seems odd to me....now the manufacturer would be the one to make the recommendations as to if they think this will cause any problems...

• I like the tread design but they don't come in 305.

• For what its worth I talked to the owner of the shop where I had the tire installed and I asked what are the advantages of asymmetrical tires and would using only the one be a problem. The owner of the place who said he had been in the tire business all his adult life (and trust me he made me look young :) ) He told me the advantage of tires being non directional and asymmetrical where the tire is designed for one side of the tire to always be mounted on the outside regardless of which side of the car it is on is so that the tires on both sides always work together to push water to the outside and away from under the car. By doing this it helps both tires get a better grip than they might with symmetrical tires that push 1/2 of the water toward the center of the car and toward each other. He assured me that on the rear of the slingshot this wouldn't matter with either an asymmetric or symmetric tire because no matter what side the water is pushed toward it is always away from center and not toward another tire. I was also told that the other design features of an all season tire for improved wet traction will still apply even if the tire is used as a single tire on the rear of the slingshot and that not being paired with a second tire and being asymmetrical was a non issue - He also told that if it could be an issue he wouldn't be allowed to install it as a single tire and he assured me that traction would be equal to both sides - he actually chuckled when I asked if one side would have better grip and pointed out that even on a car tires need equal grip to both sides because they cant count on the tire on the other side always having traction. anyway take it for what its worth - He had nothing to lose in telling me this, its not like he was selling me the tire

As a side note he also said that asymmetrical tires like the Motivo would be much better on the front because they wouldn't push water into the path of the rear tire

Edited 2 times, last by Edward Neal ().

• That's an asymmetrical tread pattern. It will have ZERO impact to your traction control.

With all due respect, you're worried about a tread pattern effecting handling, how much preload to put into a sway bar, placing a sandbag in the drivers seat before setting up the front end. It's a freaking street car not an Indy racecar. The ability of the slingshot far outweighs the ability of 90% of all owners. So turn the key, hit the button and enjoy it before it loses too much value for you to have any fun

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• He also told that if it could be an issue he wouldn't be allowed to install it as a single tire and he assured me that traction would be equal to both sides - he actually chuckled when I asked if one side would have better grip and pointed out that even on a car tires need equal grip to both sides because they cant count on the tire on the other side always having traction.

A great big fat BINGO!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bill

• That’s my point....what do tire guys know about putting tires on a one rear wheel vehicle

SINCE THERE AREN'T ANY cars or trucks with one rear drive wheel.

I thought all tires now have a rotation arrow on them. And radials can only be rotated from front to back not crossed...isn’t that a rotation thing too..also having to do with the steel belts changing the direction of rotation ....it causes problems leading to a possible broken belt failure...

His tire has two different treads on it..

If you watch the video the rubber pieces are put on the tire in the same direction. That is the direction of rotation...

https://search.yahoo.com/searc…toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

I’m not the guy that puts rotation arrows on tires.....I’m not the guy that said there was or was not pre load on the sway bars...

When I look into a subject I look into it...I just don’t take the first tid bit of info and accept it...I’m telling you my reason for not going with a split tread tire on the rear....front yes...rear no.....that’s my opinion and I just wanted to share it in case somebody might not have thought about it.....and I’m guessing no manufacturers have been contacted to render their opinion about what might or might not happen...

It could be perfectly safe.....it might not be...for that reason I wouldn’t run one on the rear of my SS.

The same goes for over sizing the tires...because of the traction control feature....

People that want to make their street vehicle monster trucks by over sizing the tires have drastically changed the handling characteristics of that vehicle way past the manufacturers design. In legal cases involving accidents they are found guilty because of these dramatic changes. Having to due with excessive weight issues of the giant tires and if they didn’t put upgraded braking systems on the vehicle to handle the excessive weight and added stopping distances...just because someone thinks something looks cool doesn’t mean you know what you’re doing. You have then taken all the liability responsibility off the manufacturer and placed it squarely on you.

• You are wrong

asymmetrical tires are non-directional they do not have a rotational arrow - in fact because they are designed to always have the same particular side mounted toward the outside of the wheel they must by design rotate in the opposite direction when mounted on the opposite side of the car - You have it totally backward and screwed up - it is symmetric tires that must always rotate in one direction which is why my front kendas and the tires on your slingshot have ROTATION >>> molded into the sidewall

As to what tire guys know about how the tires they sell and install can or can not be used safely on a three wheeled vehical - - considering the fact that they hold all of the liability if they are wrong I would suspect they know a great deal.

And considering the fact that you think all tires are directional and have rotation arrows pretty much proves you dont know squat

Edited 3 times, last by Edward Neal ().

• Arrows on tires signify a directional tread pattern and NOT the way belts are laid during construction. You can run them backwards all you want and the only issue you'll have is traction and water dispersion. Drag tires that have rotational arrows can actually be run backwards for a burnout and one run to "clean" the tread before returning them to their proper orientation. The data you quote about radial tires not being able to be crossed was practiced years ago when they first changed over from bias ply tires. Now the reason they say you can't "X" rotate them is that most performance cars use tires of two different sizes and/or offsets

Don't try to over analyze everything since data may show a difference, but how does that difference make in the real world? If using a lighter weight engine oil gets you 0.001 more miles per gallon, is it better? If an asymmetrical tire on a single rear wheeled vehicle will deflect .00375 more gallons of water per mile to one side vs the other, does that make it unsafe for a slingshot? I've had many doctors and lawyers for customers that were extremely educated, yet didn't know how to set the clock on their vcr. It appears that Polaris and their engineers designed a vehicle with the proper components to make it perform as designed. I'd take their vast knowledge and not change a thing with it.

Feel free to read all you want and compare everything written on the subject or turn the key and ride. You'll never notice the difference

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• As I've posted previously, I put 5000 miles with an asymmetric tire on the rear of my Slingshot (a Sumitomo HTR Z III 295/30R18) and did not encounter any abnormal handling issues. Admittedly, one driver running 1 tire for 5000 miles is not conclusive, but I was never worried about any changes in the handling of my Slingshot.

• Bigdog - another thing you should know is that the old idea that radial tires can not be rotated from one side of the car to the other is no longer the accepted rule. Because of the non directional nature of most asymmetrical tires you can simply remove the wheels and tires from one side and mount them on the other side

Most symmetric tires on the other hand are directional. You can still rotate the tires from one side to the other, but in order to keep them turning in the proper direction they would have to be removed from the wheels on one side and re mounted on the wheels on the other side - if you just switched the wheels like you can with non directional tires you would end up with the tires rotating in the wrong direction

Oh - and just to be sure none of this is 100%. There are still tire manufactures that do not recommend side to side rotation, from what I have heard Pirelli will void the warranty if the tires have been rotated from side to side - so before you decide to rotate your front tires you might want to check with the tires maker

On their web site Nitto shows the possible rotation patterns for their tires but also notes that some patterns will not work with some directional tires

from the Nitto web site:

• As I've posted previously, I put 5000 miles with an asymmetric tire on the rear of my Slingshot (a Sumitomo HTR Z III 295/30R18) and did not encounter any abnormal handling issues. Admittedly, one driver running 1 tire for 5000 miles is not conclusive, but I was never worried about any changes in the handling of my Slingshot.

In the end I believe personal experience trumps the guesses of those with no experience. Thank you for your input

• In the end I believe personal experience trumps the guesses of those with no experience. Thank you for your input

One additional comment - While I wrote I never experienced any handling problems, I seem to remember a tendency for the rear end to move towards one side if I accelerated hard enough to spin the tire. I can't say if I was just imagining it, or since I was spinning the wheel when I seemed to notice it if it might have been associated with high torque, or if it was actually attributable to the asymmetric tire. It never caused me any problems and I think I felt similar slippage when using the stock Kendas. My current Nitto 555 G2 315/35R17 tire seems to be wide enough that sometimes it feels like one side is slipping under hard acceleration, but others times it seems to be the opposite side.