• If you don't mind running an asymmetric tire on the rear (some folks don't like that, but I had no problems running an asymmetric Sumitomo on my Base Slingshot), you might want to consider the Nitto Motivo - Motivo All-Season Ultra High Performance Tire. It's rated one step lower than the 555 G2 for both Dry and Wet roads, but Nitto rates it at 10 of 10 for both Comfoirt and Quietness. It's also rated for longer tread-life than the 555 G2. DiscountTireDirect has the 255/35R20 for $142 ($24.25 for 3 yr extended road hazard/wear warranty).

I run the Movito now exclusively. It has the best handling so far as I have come across when driving in wet conditions.
    And for some of the best tire advise..... Hydroplaning is real

We've beat this dead horse many times. Still for anyone new to the forums, this is an awesome thread to catch up on.

Okay after some research I went with the Nitto Movitto. the tread grade of 560 as compared with 320 for the 555 G2 and 300 for the S-Drive along with the better wet traction higher mileage rating sealed the deal - the S-Drive does have a 186 MPH speed rating vs 168 for the NItto's but I dont think that will ever be an issue

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• So far (about 500+ miles), I've been happy with the Nitto 555 G2, but I, too, like the 560 tread rating for the Motivo. I'm just now getting ready to replace my stock front Kendas at 37,000 miles, but I've had 2 Kenda stock rears (about 10K miles each), a Sumitomo HTR Z III 295/30R18 rear (about 7000 miles) and a Nankang NS-20 275/35R18 (about 9000 miles). At just under $200 for the Nitto 555 G2 315/35R17 tire, I hope to exceed 10,000 miles, but if I don't, I will try a Motivo (same size as the 555 G2) and hope for longer tread wear. The rear tire on the Slingshot takes quite a beating compared to the fronts, though.

• I for one, have no idea why you would put a Motivo on a Slingshot. It is a asymmetrical tread tire and is made for a passenger car.

Why sacrifice dry grip/handling for more mileage and for the few times you get caught in the rain and have to be cautious anyways...?

Everyone beats to a different drum, so maybe you'll be happy with it. Just voicing my opinion that I'm not a fan of that tire for the Slingshot.

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• So far (about 500+ miles), I've been happy with the Nitto 555 G2, but I, too, like the 560 tread rating for the Motivo. I'm just now getting ready to replace my stock front Kendas at 37,000 miles, but I've had 2 Kenda stock rears (about 10K miles each), a Sumitomo HTR Z III 295/30R18 rear (about 7000 miles) and a Nankang NS-20 275/35R18 (about 9000 miles). At just under $200 for the Nitto 555 G2 315/35R17 tire, I hope to exceed 10,000 miles, but if I don't, I will try a Motivo (same size as the 555 G2) and hope for longer tread wear. The rear tire on the Slingshot takes quite a beating compared to the fronts, though.

I im just under 10,000 on the stock kenda and I am past the wear bars. when I bought my Slingshot it was the dealer demo unit and the rear was already well worn considering it only had 1400 on at the time so perhaps I could have done more than 10,000 if I started with a new tire. On the other hand my fronts, also the original Kenda look almost new they have held yo very very well.

I for one, have no idea why you would put a Motivo on a Slingshot. It is a asymmetrical tread tire and is made for a passenger car.

Why sacrifice dry grip/handling for more mileage and for the few times you get caught in the rain and have to be cautious anyways...?

Everyone beats to a different drum, so maybe you'll be happy with it. Just voicing my opinion that I'm not a fan of that tire for the Slingshot.

Hey Trav I totally understand what you are saying and I suspect that in dry weather I might be spinning the rear a bit easier, but considering the Motovo is still rated as a high performance tire I hope it won't be too much. I think one thing that might help you understand my choice is the fact that for me the Slingshot is my daily driver. I gave away my car when I bought the Slingshot. As such rain or shine I am driving the slingshot - also as you may be able to understand living in AZ my biggest chance of getting caught in the rain is going to be a summer downpour which if I am on the freeway could be a huge issue if my wet traction really sucks. - oh well, the tire is on the way and at $142 it wont kill me if i wear in out spinning it off the line.

• Please be aware that those high numbers like 560 are great for wet handling and longevity but at the expense of dry handling. The lower the number, such as 200, makes for a much stickier tire for enthusiastic driving in the twisties.

yes I am aware of this, and I hope I dont regret this, but with the Slingshot being my daily driver I am hoping it will be a good tradeoff

• just looking at the traction ratings and tread grade of tires is interesting;

here are sone Nitto tire numbers

NT555 G2 320 AA

Motivo 560 A

NT555 R 100 A

NT 05 R 00 B

here is a ink to how traction is tested and a quote from the link

"UTQG Traction Grades are based on the tire's straight line wet coefficient of traction as the tire skids across the specified test surfaces. The UTQG traction test does not evaluate dry braking, dry cornering, wet cornering, or high speed hydroplaning resistance."

this is confusing to me - not sure what they mean by "a tires straight line wet coefficient of traction as the tire skids"

are they measuring the ability to regain grip?

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• FYI, I'm pretty sure I've read that the tread life ratings are not standardized across manufacturers, so you can't compare numbers from one manufacturer to another.

I do know the testing is done by the manufactures so you are probably correct. I also know that the 100, 300, 560 is a ratio so if the same maker has a tire that is 100 and another that is 200 the 200 should last twice as long. in my above post all the tires listed are Nitto's

• I have run both of the Comp-2 tires the one I am fixing to replace now is the SUMMER. "IMHO" I do not advise anyone to buy. It actually has less dry traction than the stock Kenda does. Also with no spinning I got around 10,000 miles on each on the rear.

• I have run both of the Comp-2 tires the one I am fixing to replace now is the SUMMER. "IMHO" I do not advise anyone to buy. It actually has less dry traction than the stock Kenda does. Also with no spinning I got around 10,000 miles on each on the rear.

That is interesting that you say this where there is a lil step in the driveway in which we have to climb over to get the SlingShot into the garage. There is a black patch right there where when backing in when the front tires catch that step and the rear Kenda would spin, sometimes necessitating my pulling forward and taking a lil run at that step, where the G-Force Comp 2 haven't had any trouble? Traction seems to be noticeably improved when on the road also, especially when comparing to the Kendas when it is cold and wet.

Bill

• I get that the Motivo is not the choice you would make, but I suspect that our needs are very different with the Slingshot being a daily driver for me and more of a track day toy for you. What I need in a tire vs what I would want for highest performance mandated that I accept some tradeoff and from what I could find the Motivo sounded like it might be the least tradeoff with the best results I could get in my budget

Motor Trend Magazine

Karla Sanchez
    "Everyday drivers don't have to sacrifice performance when looking for an all-season tire, and with the Motivo they can pretty much have the best of both worlds. Nitto engineers have injected all the ingredients (grip, rigidity, and control) of its summer tires into an all-season tire that promises quietness, longevity, and all the right connections for staying better glued to the road in dry or wet conditions."

it may not show in this picture but the motivo actually has deeper tread as well with a tread depth of 11 according to discount tire vs 9 for the BF Goodrich

also I am sure a directional tire would look cooler, but as non directional tires go the motiva looks better than many others.

Like I said above - I may regret this and if that happens I can always get the NT555 G2 or the S-Drive - - its not like this is something that I will be stuck with forever

As to the G force - I did look at it, but at the moment being more than $70 more than the Motivo put it out of my budget

• @edwardaneal

That's where my head is at as well. My Sling is my exclusive mode of transport, rain or shine and some snow, as soon as it is warm enough to ride.

I've been caught in heavy rains and have had that rear end swing out on me with the stock Kenda tires. Following that, I went into a tire that gives me the best traction I could put under the Sling. The Movito has never swung out on me since, so, money well spent in my books.

I don't have a good track near me, or I could easily see myself setting a different priority. However, my Sling is a "cruiser" not a "racer". So I lean toward safety and I don't run for cover when it rains. I grin like a fool and dry my clothes when I get home.

• Nitto considers both the 555 G2 and the Motivo as Ultra High Performance Tires. The Nitto 555 G2 is rated as a Summer UHP tire and is rated 9 of 10 for both Dry & Wet road performance, and 6 of 10 for Comfort and Quietness while the Motivo is rated as an All Season UHP tire and is rated 8 of 10 for Dry road performance and 10 of 10 for Wet road performance, Comfort and Quietness. While the 555 G2 is definitely higher rated for Dry road performance, neither tire is likely to be driven at its extreme limits by most Slingshot owners. The Motivo is an asymmetric tire, and I haven't had one on the rear of my Slingshot, but based on my driving experience with a different asymmetric tire in the rear (a Sumitomo HTR Z III 295/30R18), I would not expect any handing problems with the Motivo on the rear. Both tires are relatively mild in their asymmetry compared to some of the other asymmetric tires available. Would I recommend using an asymmetric tire for racing - No, but for normal everyday use under typical street conditions, I doubt most drivers would push things hard enough to ever encounter any problems attributable to the tire's asymmetric design.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• I have the G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S on my Charger and they have been the best tire for me so far! Great in the sun, rain and well, not used when I see white! I will be getting a set for my ss soon!