Planning a road trip to Sundre, Canada

• The most mlles in one day for me was from Georgetown, Sc. to Indy, Ind in the Hot Rod. 14 Hours for 761 miles, gas stops only

I have to say, I'm surprised at the 54 mph average there, but it's east coast and highly populated areas, so I guess it makes sense. I'm hoping from Madison west that the roads open up a bit more.

• @KayTwo, the roads will open up when you pass Madison. It will not be difficult to run 80+ not counting stops provided that the weather cooperates and you don't come across any accidents. When I went to Sturgis, the traffic was "heavy", as everyone going to bike week was using that route from the east. Even then, 80 was easy, rarely getting into heavy bunches of traffic. You are heading there the week before, and while there might be some early ones heading out, you should have no issues.

I will say this.... for my wife and I the SS is easier to travel in by far than the bike is. On Labor Day (2016) weekend, we traveled 540 miles on two lane roads thru towns and burgs heading to Robbinsville, NC. We did it again last Memorial Day, on our way to Maggie. For me, the SS is one of the easiest ways to travel. Yes you have the elements. Yes there could be rain. Yes it might be hot. But I just enjoy it more than other travel means. Out in the wind with less chance of someone not seeing you..... that makes it less stressful than on 2 wheels. That said, I still think that the 1122 day is going to leave you beat the following day. Not saying you can't make it, just saying it's "aggressive" to say the least.

• @KayTwo, the roads will open up when you pass Madison. It will not be difficult to run 80+ not counting stops provided that the weather cooperates and you don't come across any accidents. When I went to Sturgis, the traffic was "heavy", as everyone going to bike week was using that route from the east. Even then, 80 was easy, rarely getting into heavy bunches of traffic. You are heading there the week before, and while there might be some early ones heading out, you should have no issues.

I need to look into that (as far as Sturgis), make sure I don't run into too many issues. I also need to really dig into the details on each leg of the route, see if there's anything I absolutely need to stop for, get pictures of, etc. Or any restaurants I absolutely must experience.

@adventure4me already talked me into one little side trip out in WY...I looked up that road on the map, and it looks epic. Well worth a couple hours out of my way. So, I'm looking forward to learning any details about the rest of the trip.

• @KayTwo just so there is no confusion you are welcome to stay as long as you want on your trip out and are more than welcome on your trip back as well - if you are tired, hungry, thirsty, or need to hideout from tge law we have an open door for family and forum family

• Day 1: Sundre to Cohasset MN (family), 1122 mi, ~18 hrs

A very Ambitious day if you plan to route through Canada.

Top speed for the Trans Canada Hwy is 110 kph, so just under 70 mph. Your ride would take you through Regina, SK. (RCMP Training for Canada) Speed trap central for about 2 hours radius.

Basically you have a hard time "making time".

Now.... that being said, and depending on your route......

Treherne, MB is around the 12 Hour mark and depending on the day, (work EMS remember), a Steak BBQ could be arranged. And lots of room for a tent to sprout up.

• THAT'S the kind of gouge I need! Excellent!

But yeah, I had already come to my senses and decided that first day out from Sundre wasn't going to happen. Now I just need to see what is more realistic. I will have to look at Treherne....

• I would have to agree with @EjFord. Doing back to back days, you want to plan your days out to around 750 mile range at the longest. Anything more than that will cumulatively knock you in the dirt. You also need to consider comming across the Dakota's in July is not a lot of fun. High heat and gusting winds.
    I have made the journey up to the NW a few times on a bike and in the Sling. We have found up to 800 miles in one day is managable as long as we didn't do it back to back to back. It can become dangerous and actually ruine the trip.

• I would have to agree with @EjFord. Doing back to back days, you want to plan your days out to around 750 mile range at the longest. Anything more than that will cumulatively knock you in the dirt. You also need to consider comming across the Dakota's in July is not a lot of fun. High heat and gusting winds.
    I have made the journey up to the NW a few times on a bike and in the Sling. We have found up to 800 miles in one day is managable as long as we didn't do it back to back to back. It can become dangerous and actually ruine the trip.

I'm definitely looking into amending that for a couple of the legs. Might be too aggressive there.

I'm also keeping in mind that this isn't an "aircrew rest period," and some of us are accustomed to working more than 4 hours in a row without a nap....

:00008172::00008172:

• I have done lots of miles on the Gold Wing and the Slingshot and running solo you can make good time....stops for gas at 175/200 miles and a quick lunch your are still hard pressed to average much over 60mph even out west with more open roads.

I'll use 60 for my calculations and see what happens. :D

• Forget about Cain? Tell Able a rock won't kill..... ;(

Oh Jeez, don't get me started on Cain & Able....

Adam & Eve have 3 son's, Cain Able, and the other guy. (He never really makes his mark)
    Cain Kills Able
    God marks Cain and sends him out into the world so that "Others" may know his sins.....

Who the Hell are the "Others"??? ?(?(

• Anyone ever drive Route 240 through Badlands National Park?

Yes, on the Harley. Two lanes and sight seers galore. Pretty country if you have the time to look. I will keep you updated on road construction from East Wi. to as far into SD as I can get it. I am looking to see if I can clear the time to ride with you to Sundre if you need company. If I can't work it out I can at least get you the road info if you are taking I90 out like one of your routes showed.